Doof - Let's Turn On - Remixed & Remastered - 2015 - DAT Records

draeke

Dear Psynews, since nobody has made an official review in here, I will paste a couple found online.

Doof Lets Turn On: Remixed & Remastered (DAT)
Posted in Reviews 2015 by psyreviews - April 25, 2015

Many years ago (okay, in about 2006) the present reviewer had reached a certain brief echelon of fame within the scene and found himself connected on MSN Messenger (remember that?) to none other than Simon Posford, of whom you have probably heard.

In a chat whose MSN log I desperately wish I still had, Posford asked me whether Hallucinogens Twisted would have got ten out of ten if psyreviews had been around to review it. My response, with which I was and remain incredibly chuffed, was that it would indeed have probably scored ten out of ten; but if it had, then I would have had to give Doofs Lets Turn On eleven out of ten.

Hilarious Spinal Tappisms aside, what makes Lets Turn On the greatest Goa Trance album of all time?

I must admit, its a question I struggle with but all I know is that even in its original form, Lets Turn On still holds up ridiculously well as being a brilliantly produced, playfully fluid, straight-down-the-middle fluoro thunkslab. I rarely go back to the old Hallucinogen albums (probably something to do with knowing every note, wobble and adjustment to the reverb knob by heart), but I cant recall a time since its release in 1996 when I've not thoroughly enjoyed slapping Doofs first album on.

Its never sounded dated, except in the best possible way a parallel can be sketched between Doof and Soul II Soul (bear with me) whose Club Classics Vol 1 never sounded old or out of place because its blessed with a degree of uniqueness that somehow lifts it out of the sheer context of time.

Perhaps its longevity is down to its high number of standouts. Doof crafted the archetypal Goa Trance Hearty Party vibe with Mars Needs Women, and all of a sudden nobody was sure whether this was a serious scene about shanti and awakenenings, or a scene obsessed with wobbly noises and sci fi samples that was taking the piss out of itself from the inside out, from a zillion different angles, simultaneously (etc.) Meanwhile, Angelina was a top-line example of how 303 abuse and deliriously-high BPMs can create a sort of blissful silence in the middle of everything; and Star Above Parvatti gives oxygen to experiences by slowing things down, and the albums title track remains the best-sounding opening bookend that the era ever produced.

So when word came out that the superlative DAT records were talking with Nick Doof about remastering and re-releasing this album, I will confess to a little bit of wee coming out. Recent releases on some of what we used to think of as majorish labels have had a cast your mind back vibe so it wasn't entirely a surprise that this would get the treatment; but still, regardless of surprise its a huge, huge delight.

And its difficult to know which half of the 2CD set to be more excited about. The first contains remixes, one or two I think might have heard before, but never so crisply and evenly layered as here. The Live Mix of Mars Needs Women is a lesson in how themes can be subtly introduced to make people lose their absolute shit (in a good way), and the alternate mix of Double Dragons has you wondering why it was never released until now, being so uniquely and deftly avin it as to make sweat pour from the ceiling (metaphor).

Secret Sun was never a standout favourite, but the way the 7th Sun Mix builds and layers is reminiscent of what Doof would later do with his contribution to Tips Crystal Skulls it has that ticklish effect of good weed on the senses. The brain-tingling probably peaks with the alternate mix of Destination Bom, sounding stretched and deep and dripping with an organic ooziness; the movement and progression is somehow honest and innocent, and so distant from what we call psychedelic today it almost begs for a reclassification of the word.

Finally, the Original Mix of Star Above Parvatti may or may not be the same version as was released on Tip Blue Im tempted to say flat out that its the same, because eventually someone will tell me in the comments that it isnt, and then finally Ill know without dragging out the CDJs to listen to both simultaneously but anyway delightful.

The second disc is a remastered start-to-finish of the original album and surprisingly, even with something so familiar theres a some added depth and clarity in the remaster. The bottom-end is rich, theres sharpness in the high mids, and the sheer absorption of it is somehow more engaging; this might all be because the sound of the original release is so indelibly etched into my nervous system that Im substituting novelty with quality, but who cares.

Such a well-known piece of work doesnt warrant a track-by-track, so lets just say that the experience of the remastered album is an incredibly fun one. Parts of the fluidity reminded me of that 2002-ish Israeli revival, the glistening movement of the upper-end acidlines sounding shimmery. At times the BPMs sound too fast and beg to be slowed down, but somehow that feels like adding three sugars to a cup of tea or dipping a Dairylea Dunker into a $10,000 Penfold Grange: doing so would be to miss the point.

Its worth making the point that Doof was never just about belting out daft sounds at high speeds; there was always an unquantifiable stream of emotion in there, a very genuine capturing of an out-there experience and translating it into a musical form. This extended beyond Doofs party music: his solo acoustic work is honest, stripped-back devotional stuff, and the Third Ear Audio collaboration with Earthling had some humbly beautiful moments. Theres a common thread Nick Doof captures an otherworldly experience and recreates it sonically, and thats definitely in evidence here.

So, the greatest Goa Trance album of all time has just got greater; which, I think, means that the greatest Goa Trance album of all time was actually released this month, by an Italian record label called DAT records and not by a London record label twentyish years ago.

Whether you look at Lets Turn On as a relic in history, as a milestone in your own love of the music, as a lesson in sheer Goan hedonism, or as a sideline curio, you need this re-release. I'm running out of superlatives, but I still cant see this album ever losing a special little place in my soul, and nor should it ever lose its place in yours.

Damien, Psyreviews.

And then:

Doof Lets Turn On: Remixed & Remastered (DAT)
Discogs User: Nousagi, May 28, 2015

I absolutely ADORE this re-release! What we get here is not only the original Let's Turn On album but also a remix album from the artist himself. This cannot go wrong! Right?

The remix part differs quite a bit from the original. I would say we should not compare them straight forward but in fact listen to them with another mindset. The original is melodic, fast-paced and outrageous on the dancefloor. On the other hand, the remixes are mostly hypnotic, trancey and with barely any breakdown. The melodies from the originals are subtle, they come as quickly as they go while the acidic trippy beat continues to expand your universe. Not many Goa albums around can achieve this level of trance using this formula.

For me personally, the first CD is better put in an indoor environment. I love listening to it while relaxing on my sofa. I do not believe it is suitable for the madness of the Goa parties (except of course in downtime). To experience the most of it, you have to submerge yourself solely into its sounds. It's mesmerising and quite beautiful!

The second CD does not need introduction. All the tracks are simply stunning. I also do not understand why is there such a complain regarding the mastering. It is excellent and you can clearly hear all the details of the tracks. The dynamics are far from ruined either. But I guess some people want to find flaws in every piece of art. Just enjoy the music which comes in a great package for just 13 EUR, instead of spending 30 on the older release, which will probably come in scratched.

Speaking about the package, you get not only the two magnificent CDs (which are coloured below as well, very neat idea!), but also great artwork and a gorgeous poster, folded gently inside. There is no reason not to obtain this marvel coming from one of the best labels currently, and please don't let yourself be fooled by this malicious review from the person on the bottom. Some people just like to shoot down the work of labels such as DAT or Suntrip, just so that their collection of old-school Goa classics cost more on the market. If you are a music lover like me, ignore them and support this fantastic result of hard-work.

Nousagi, Discogs

• Like 1

Well, I love the original album, and I am super glad I could buy it for a good price now, remastered! The remixes are minor to the originals I think. They are good, but none of them outstanding I think. They often feel like stripped versions, or older versions, not sure. I often have the feeling older unreleased material is mostly minor to the released stuff (the exception is the Etnica release)

Good anyway to be able to buy this! Thanks DAT Records

dkmurl7.jpg

Artist: Doof

Title: Let's Turn On

Label: DAT Records

Date: April, 2015

Remixed

1. Let's Turn On (Desk Mix 1)

2. Mars Needs Women (Live Mix)

3. Yoof of the Galaxy

4. Double Dragons (Alternate Mix)

5. Sunshrine (Mix 2)

6. Secret Sun (7th Sun Mix)

7. Angelina (Alternate Mix)

8. Destination Bom (Alternate Mix)

9. Star Above Parvati (Original Mix)

Remastered

1.Let's Turn On

2. Mars Needs Women

3. Youth of the Galaxy (Final Demand Mix)

4. Double Dragons

5. Sunshrine

6. Secret Sun (Sunbeam Mix)

7. Angelina

8. Destination Bom

9. Star Above Parvati (Bijli Mahadev Mix)

uL9yQij.gif

Pffft...Doof.

What a stupid name. Sounds like 1960's Batman punched a bad guy. Is it short for Doofus?

And that hot pink color...it's so...pink. I haven't seen that much pink since...

z3dOQrw.gif

Seriously, how can Samuel L. Jackson be in every movie?"

I've mentioned that labels like Neogoa and Suntrip are on quite the tear as of late and they have been providing us with superb goa trance for years on end. But let us not overlook the far less prodigious yet no less spectacular DAT Records. While I felt the last compilation Analog Dreams fell a little short of the mark, this is the label that has delivered the lost Crop Circles album, a double Blue Planet Corporation CD, and the perfect Etnica Live in Athens. Clearly the strength of this label and its owner is tracking down classics from the past and working relentlessly to help them see the light of day. That kind of dedication and single minded focus is why Draeke has built (and earned) such a solid following.

So here we go again with an absolute classic from the golden era of goa trance. Doof is Nick Barber and Let's Turn On was a watershed moment in the genre. Goa-heads know it by heart and everyone has it. Or at least a downloadable copy of it as prices on the Discogs before this arrived were a little on the high side. Now it is available to all at a reasonable amount. First thing I'll tell you is I haven't opened my copy. Nope, I don't want to spoil its mintiness. So I can't tell you what is on the inside until I order a second copy. For all I know my copy has a winning lottery ticket or an invite to baby Charlotte's christening.

So I listened to the files Draeke sent me and that is how I evaluated the music. Like all of you I've heard the original album many times so I knew for the most part how it was gonna go. But what blew me away was the sound. The quality made this album feel brand new. Like new car smell that never dissipates. All the classics appeared in 3-D; Let's Turn On, Star Above Parvati, Double Dragons, Angelina, Mars Needs Women...While ecstatic to have a remastered album in my sweaty man-hands I believe most of us crave the unknown. That's why the world is so eagerly awaiting the Helen Mirren sex tape. You know you wanna see it. She looks good for someone almost 5 years past social security. The second disk full of remixes and never before heard goodness had me turning my head like a dog straining to understand what you just said.

I'm not gonna blow smoke up your ass and tell you that I like every single track here. The Bijli Mahadev Mix of Star Above Parvati was a relaxing albeit patience stretching version that seemingly took forever to go nowhere. I still can't really tell any differences in the Youth of the Galaxies and the Sunshrines were way too similarly positive for me. In fact the majority of the remixes felt like stripped down versions validating the decision not to release them. However that is a little shortsighted. People said the same thing regarding A Blueprint for Survival and I believe that that was also shortsighted. Not only are you getting a piece of history making goa trance you're also getting a window into tracks never before heard and I feel that gives a larger picture of where projects are and were as artists.

So I salute Nick Barber for allowing this to happen and for Draeke for caring enough to work so hard to give us the fans what we want at great financial and probable emotional cost to himself. This is a piece of goa trance history and if you are a collector it would be unthinkable for you not to own it. Now you can.

• Like 1

Maybe it is the fact that i spend months with those tracks, help finding the right mix, and do some audio restoration on some parts, maybe is the fact that i'm old :P ...but I truly cannot understand how people didn't go mad for some of those tunes in their remixed / live / alterantive mixes! In 2-3 cases i found them superior than the originals!

Guest antic

I truly cannot understand how people didn't go mad for some of those tunes in their remixed / live / alterantive mixes! In 2-3 cases i found them superior than the originals!

Agree, I actually think majority tracks from 'remixed' CD are better than album versions, except for Double Dragons, Angelina and Destination Bom. It is true they're more linear, less 'flashy' in terms of breaks and arrangements, but on the other hand they're also much more trancey, more flowing and more organic simply because at the time this is how one was making remixes - you'd just play bunch of loops and tweak / fade them on the mixing desk (hence the "desk mix"), the FX units or at their source (synths). It was simple, it was prone to flaws and errors, but it also had soul.

It is really a great release and a future classic, despite some issues I had with the re-mastering of the original album - which I won't mention ;)

5/5

I've been listening to this classic a lot.

Wow! Just wow. Almost 20 years! And this album still kicks ass :) Thanks to DAT records, finally a way out from crappy mp3's! And exorbitant price on Discogs.

Amazing Release!

Sunshrine and Destination Boom! are the favourites. But I also love the other one's. :)

Eagerly waiting for a chance to hear them remixes! :)