Tomorrow's Light (short film I made)

Jon Cocco

Hey all, check out this short, experimental 9 minute film I wrote, shot, directed, and edited. ---> ( https://youtu.be/UpNEQ_Pmw0I ).

It's music-driven but otherwise silent.

Please see the full description box on YouTube for more.

It's pretty spiritual, experimental, and can be interpreted in different ways.

Whatever you thought, let me know.

• Like 2

Looks and sounds great. I found it a bit hard to follow; I realise that some of the ambiguity was intentional, but I think it could do with a bit more exposition rather than relying on the audience reading the description. Not sure how that could have been acheived without it seeming awkward, though.

Looks and sounds great. I found it a bit hard to follow; I realise that some of the ambiguity was intentional, but I think it could do with a bit more exposition rather than relying on the audience reading the description. Not sure how that could have been acheived without it seeming awkward, though.

Rotwang, thanks for watching the film and for the feedback. Every little bit helps since I'm always looking to improve and do something different (also with positive msg) the next time.

A very nice film. Congratulations. Great music :) especially the last few min's. Very involving. I thought the girl was dead. It was a nice touch, the happy ending. I wonder, may be it would have come out as a more intense movie if he had lost her. And also i felt it was a bit fast. :/ don't know how to explain it properly. May be it was intentional as its a short movie and you guys had to cover a lot of things?

Once again, Bravo!! Looking forward for more.

• 4 weeks later...

A very nice film. Congratulations. Great music :) especially the last few min's. Very involving. I thought the girl was dead. It was a nice touch, the happy ending. I wonder, may be it would have come out as a more intense movie if he had lost her. And also i felt it was a bit fast. :/ don't know how to explain it properly. May be it was intentional as its a short movie and you guys had to cover a lot of things?

Once again, Bravo!! Looking forward for more.

Starkraver, thank you so much for the feedback and the kind words. I'm glad that you liked the film, and mentioned some of what could have been better. This was a big learning experience for me and I'm grateful for all the positive words and constructive criticism I get. I wanted to add something regarding the woman's fate for those who've seen the film. There's also more in the description box on YouTube. :)

We intended for the woman to die in the fight scene. When we see her afterwards (and this can be interpreted two different ways), the man is remembering her in flashbacks as he is still in meditation. The woman exercising after the fight can be perceived in two different ways (that she lived or died). But my intention was the man works through his anger via he hits the water, slices the grass with his sword, etc., he remembers the woman's peace and serenity via she swims through the water, runs her hand through the grass, etc. By working through his pain, he ascends in consciousness (stairs a metaphor for ascension) and begins to perceive her presence as a spirit, ghost. To convey this, I added a few ethereal shots of her in the field via 5:40. There is a moment where he looks up, as if to sense something, but he's not there yet (vibrationally) to know it's her for sure. We didn't have the forethought to make her hand disappear in the end from off his shoulder. Doing so would have confirmed our intention that she was dead, so certain ideas (the woman's fate) came across as more ambiguous for some than we planned. In the end credits, there is an easter egg of her walking into the light as if to say, "I have come back to be with you in spirit, my love...before going to heaven." ... I guess at least half of those who saw the film believed that they both survived, while some believed she returned like an angel in the end (wearing all black because she died). The man doesn't turn around to acknowledge her; he gives a subtle, self-knowing smile because he knows that she's with him in spirit. All in all, the man is at peace in the end which is naturally the message of the film.

Rotwang, thanks for the spoiler tags tip.

• 2 weeks later...