How Infected Mushroom became so famous?

Ormion

Anyway their music became old quickly and now it does sound cheesy to my ears.

I still think The Gathering and Classical Mushroom are insanely good :)

To some degree Loud - Some Kind of Creativity had the same effect on me as CM did. I never get tired of that album.

• 4 weeks later...

Good question here, it's really amazing how they got that popular.

Infected Mushroom were one of the first "goa" artists (to me, they are their own category) I knew back then. Must have been around 2003, because IM The Supervisor was not released yet. I somehow got my hands on Classical Mushroom, and that album played a huge role in me seeking out more goa trance and waking interest for the genre.

Their music is pure quality, the arrangements and melodies are extremely intelligent, the production almost flawless. And even though they changed genres, their music stayed quality. After Supervisor and Vicious Delicious I gave up on them, I didn't like the music at all. Then out of nowhere, in 2012, they released Army of Mushrooms, and that album proved to me that they still had it (to pick two: The Rat and that DnB remix of Foo Fighters' Pretender). I still don't like that style too much, but damn, the music is good.

And probably that's how they became famous indeed, by providing quality, whatever they do. I'd really like to see a live performance by these guys at some point - their actual act as well as an oldschool set (which they still seem to do regularly).

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

Good question here, it's really amazing how they got that popular.

Infected Mushroom were one of the first "goa" artists (to me, they are their own category) I knew back then. Must have been around 2003, because IM The Supervisor was not released yet. I somehow got my hands on Classical Mushroom, and that album played a huge role in me seeking out more goa trance and waking interest for the genre.

Their music is pure quality, the arrangements and melodies are extremely intelligent, the production almost flawless. And even though they changed genres, their music stayed quality. After Supervisor and Vicious Delicious I gave up on them, I didn't like the music at all. Then out of nowhere, in 2012, they released Army of Mushrooms, and that album proved to me that they still had it (to pick two: The Rat and that DnB remix of Foo Fighters' Pretender). I still don't like that style too much, but damn, the music is good.

And probably that's how they became famous indeed, by providing quality, whatever they do. I'd really like to see a live performance by these guys at some point - their actual act as well as an oldschool set (which they still seem to do regularly).

IM was never Goatrance.

IM was never Goatrance.

they were copycats of Astral projection, MFG but they were never goa trance - gotta love the logic here haha

more seriously i agree they were never goa trance - BP empire is a good example of a psytrance album

It's because they were plastered on Frostwire and Limewire when those were big p2p apps for downloading music. Infected Mushroom was the most abundant and first to be seen when people were looking in that direction. I've noticed their popularity spike too and it seems to have a nice corrolation with people getting high for the first time and looking for trippy new music mid 2000s. Shpongle and IM seem to be in every head's repertoire even if they don't know any other artists in psytrance, psy styles of ambient, dub and whatever. Its always Shpongle and Infected Mushroom for some reason, and the reason has a great deal to do with the internet, not touring. Whats easiest to come across on the internet is what is popular I guess?

• Like 4

IM was never Goatrance.

Hence why I put "goa" in quotes, very tough to call.

They most definitely produced Nitzho (Void Indigo), and at least "Where is S?" (Destination Goa 7) can probably be considered goa trance.

I usually put it like Imba, they're everything, their own genre.

It's because they were plastered on Frostwire and Limewire when those were big p2p apps for downloading music. Infected Mushroom was the most abundant and first to be seen when people were looking in that direction.

You might be on to something here. I remember finding loads of their music via Kazaa back in the early 00s. Probably gained them a lot of publicity.

Analog Pussy kicked their asses... until the got booted from mp3.com

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/22/mp3_com_drops_analog_pussy/

Aw, don't remind me of the sad MP3.com story... quite some losses there. :( Interesting read, anyway!

Analog Pussy were also among the first psy/goa artists I knew. Never tried to compare them to IM, interesting. They also went full weirdo, but in quite a different direction than IM. Not sure if anybody still cared for them after they released "Trance N Roll" ...

I spent a bit of time reading audiophile hardware reviews today, and saw two different reviewers list IM among handful of CDs they used to test stuff. Make of that what you will.

• 1 month later...

They sure have talent, I always thought sometimes their tracks lacked clear direction, best example is Dancing with Kadafi, you sure hear the talent but the track goes everywhere and constantly change direction, it is a bit weird and hard to follow.

Upon first listen it was clear that Dancing with Kadafi was a downtempo psy-attempt to make a track like Dream Theater would have made if they worked in this genre. Anyone familiar with Dream Theater's music would recognize the influence right off the bat.In that context the sudden changes in direction, etc all "make sense".

• Like 1

Now these are some very interesting news! :)

It is indeed! The other side from Converting Vegetarians is still one of my favorite albums :-)

The Gathering 2 pls

They are working on psytrance ep which will come out later this year. Track in the video is from that ep, sounds promising!

It is indeed! The other side from Converting Vegetarians is still one of my favorite albums :-)

They are working on psytrance ep which will come out later this year. Track in the video is from that ep, sounds promising!

Not exactly blown away but I will for sure check it out!

It is because they are very good musicians and their music can be listened pleasantly. Their music is dark and the people who like dark music including metal heads and goths get into it too. It has guitar which the rock underground people who want to explore other genres can easily get into this. The melodies are beautiful and that vibe it creates of uplifting the environment gives the new listeners trance-dance experience.

Well, it's because of marketing, of course; making some EDM (which some of these tracks are decent in my opinion), and have made really good stuff in their past, specially the Classical Mushroom and The Gathering albums.

• 2 weeks later...

lol at this thread.

and im not saying lol im actually lol:ing

But to settle the score, Erez Eizen is a musical genious. I dont even have a clue what that other guy is doing.

Shiva Shidapu, Shidapu, I Zen, I mean, its basically all Erez.

He even plays some of the melodies on tracks like Symphonatic LIVE! And he has such a calm and cute face when doing it aswell. Like its nothing for him to play his arps on his Nord Lead.

So yeah, why is IM famous? Cause of Erez.

Why are they now POP? Cause of .. well.. I guess that other guy wanted money or something and Erez sold his soul?

• Like 1

Rumour has it that Erez dislikes the new direction IM have chosen and wants to go back to their roots. Watching Erez live with his sad, bored face I kinda believe it actually.

Thats what Im saying tho!

Its like he sold his soul or something!

Which of course means very different things to various different people, to me it means giving up your art for the love of the art; for the love of cash.

And as we all know, Cash is like, literally, the Devil walking amongst us all. Sorry for all the religious talk, I mean them as metaphors.

Im not religious, although I am agnostic so I do believe in ... "god".

Aaaanyway

yeah. Poor Erez. If it was up to him and not that other dude, Im sure weve had tracks like Symphonatic, Mushi Mushi, In Dream (Shiva Shidapu) and stuff like that, all over the place.

Instead the mix POP with PSY with DUBSTEP, with vomit.

I dont get it ;(