Confessions of a goa-trancer

operon

Another point: the common usage of the term "new school Goa trance" is nowhere near as broad and inclusive as how we defined old school Goa trance. Nowadays we're usually talking about music that exhibits a particular melodic approach derived from Etnica, Dimension 5, Shakta, etc. To say that the entire movement has less range than the old school greats isn't exactly true... I'd argue that it's our more precise use of the term that gives this illusion.

A few practical examples: while we can all name some modern-day equivalents to many of the old school greats... what about groups like Koxbox, Orichalcum & The Deviant, Ka-Sol, Quirk, Sandman, Metal Spark and the rest of the Dutch break-trance squad, etc.? If we expand the field to include acts like Amygdala, Kadasarva, Exelization, Fuzzonaut, and some of the weird stuff on this compilation, suddenly it doesn't look like the movement is quite so limited.

Totally agree. The term Goa trance is very limited today and only contains music that sticks to the formula. That's not a problem with the music though, but with the listeners.

IMO almost 40% of the old school Goa tracks wouldn't be called Goa using today's narrow term.

• Like 1

Thank you, guys, for the constructive discussion. I really extracted some optimism from your comments that will keep me going for a while.

Some said I don't know the Goa scene, others said I registered only to throw dirt...Nope.

I've been following this forum since it was named goatrance.free.fr (around '98) and now it is the most important beacon that keeps the scene alive.

I have a real, physical CD collection comparable to Mars' in numbers, containing all important releases since the inception of the genre until the neogoa nowadays, so that means I've supported the scene from the very beginning.

Hats off to what Suntrip are doing, they literally revived the dead horse. I don't enjoy every release, but Filteria & E-Mantra really touch the old masters in style. So, keep going, although the sound of the old 303 will remain unmatched.

And see you outdoors, a great summer is ahead!

• Like 1

Another point: the common usage of the term "new school Goa trance" is nowhere near as broad and inclusive as how we defined old school Goa trance. Nowadays we're usually talking about music that exhibits a particular melodic approach derived from Etnica, Dimension 5, Shakta, etc. To say that the entire movement has less range than the old school greats isn't exactly true... I'd argue that it's our more precise use of the term that gives this illusion.

I can already see someone taking a more, perhaps "unconventional" approach to goa trance and releasing something along the lines of stuff from Koyote, Matsuri and Blue Room (to name a few). And then along comes someone whining that this isn't goa trance at all, where's the euphoria and the cosmic swirling melodies and so forth.

To be fair, what happened to me in 1999/2000 was the same kinda reaction when things started to go prog-tech-minimal-fullon. I hated it, but still tried to get into it until I gave up and took a dive into the downtempo pool.

Which also brings me to another point, I started going to parties in 1999 when the sound was already radically changing, so I never experienced a "proper" goa trance party back in the days. My current goa trance rediscovery has been going on for 5-6 years or so, and I'm also finding shitloads of music I'd probably have hated 15 years ago (actually much of the mainly German tech/techno-ish stuff like The Delta, Children Of Paradise, X-Dream post-Radio, Montauk P, Cwithe, along with the aforementioned Koyote/Matsuri/Blue Room and later TIP stuff etc.)

Actually the only proper goa trance parties I've experienced are the once-in-a-summer oldschool parties we've had since 2012 (hi Oopie!). So I'm not really "chasing my youth" as someone put it. I'm (re)discovering it in a way. And now that my social awkwardness is finally easing up at least to some extent, I'm actually learning to know some people (I know almost exactly nobody from my first about 10 years of going to parties).

A few practical examples: while we can all name some modern-day equivalents to many of the old school greats... what about groups like Koxbox, Orichalcum & The Deviant, Ka-Sol, Quirk, Sandman, Metal Spark and the rest of the Dutch break-trance squad, etc.? If we expand the field to include acts like Amygdala, Kadasarva, Exelization, Fuzzonaut, and some of the weird stuff on this compilation, suddenly it doesn't look like the movement is quite so limited.

And Psychaos, Slide, UX, Cydonia, Process, Xenomorph, Technossomy to some extent, Darshan, Infernal Machine etc. You know what I'm getting at.

And those you posted are all more or less pure gold (Tales From The North maybe not so much). Don't forget PortaMento and BlackStarrFinale :) and Omnivox and Crossing Mind, and...

if u live in the microcosm of the nowdays scene of course u see no limited scene.

there are people that still see a evolution in scene

there are people who say that today artists continue the spirit of the old scene etc etc

im wondering why can follow such a thought(a reason is my age?40years old? my other priorities than music??)

propably yes

but the main reason is that:

come on guys there is no music like the music produced by these old labels in our days

(at the best the most suitable label who could realese nu goa would been Hypnotic,the best scenario)

ADMIT it and move on

i have to admit that EKTOPLASM is a interesting formula and i see a vision behind this project

edit

im wondering what would been the evolution of the scene

if there was no bankruptcy of Flying,Cosmophilia,EFA,Novatekk etc distirbution

or because of this event we leave the evolution as many people say?

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

I think there are some real gems in some of the new releases but I still think the whole scene (not only within the goa circuit) lack a lot of vision and experimentation. Personally I can't stand listening to 99% of what the scene has to offer these days. It's just too stereotype and seem to be copying each other. The so-called psytrance Machine-gun basslines is a good example and also the many many layers of IMO over the top melodies just do nothing to me. Especially not if I want to get into a state of trance without chemicals. It just seem way over the top. I get stressed when listening to it.

• Like 2

The so-called psytrance Machine-gun basslines is a good example and also the many many layers of IMO over the top melodies just do nothing to me. Especially not if I want to get into a state of trance without chemicals. It just seem way over the top. I get stressed when listening to it.

That wave is partly over I have the feeling, there is much more experimenting with kicks & basses again... GOOD :)

• 3 weeks later...

That wave is partly over I have the feeling, there is much more experimenting with kicks & basses again... GOOD :)

Would be good, cause I experienced some of the nervous effects Mr. LFO described above too :P "Stress" and/or boredom in my case.

Frankly I haven't heard anything that comes near a "good" for a while. But I look forward to hear it on your label ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The golden years will never come back exactly as they where. All things in life keep changing, nothing stays the same.

Instead of waiting from your favorite artists to re-hash the same music they did two decades ago and frustrate your self with every new release they make, let it go and search for new music that you actually like, from new artists or try other genres even. Music is food for the soul. Force feed a diet you don't like and you'll start feeling sick.

Been partying since 1994. Nothing is the same as then, different people, different music, different world, different millennium.

There is no Goa played in Goa, there is machine gun basslines, which has become a taboo in these pages, even if seminal tracks like this one

...had a 16th bassline and when people dropped this tune back then, no one stopped dancing and said it was boring... instead people stomped the ground like it was the last dance of their lives.

FFW to Antaris 2014 when Mike Maguire dropped it, the same thing happened again, young generations and "Goa veterans" rejoiced for being alive and partying like it was the mid 90s again...even for the duration of one track...one set.

Its like a grudge that you can't get over...but life is too short to hold grudges.

For every person that lived it all back then and holds a grudge today, there are a hundred or probably, a thousand people, partying to today's music, loving the next tune with a 16th bassline but that tune, also has some great sounds on top of it.

Most of today's party people, "learned" psytrance after the golden years, with 16th basslines and all and guess what? They love it.

So, after 21 years, I still love it. After 21 years I can't stop listening to it and can't wait for the next party.

I still play old tunes in my studio to listen to, or in the car when I am driving, or stomp the ground at the odd retro set in a festival from some old project whose music, I grew up on and still cherish.

I also stomp the ground to a night time set of relentless machine gun bass, as long as there is twisted, psychoactive, funky, cosmic sounds on top of it cause at the end of the day, there has always been much more to psytrance than just a 16th bassline, to me anyway.

• Like 2

there has always been much more to psytrance than just a 16th bassline, to me anyway.

I agree but the converse is also true. X-Dream are great and all but (for example) Pan - "Murphy" is also still a psytrance track, y'know? Rolling basslines are one way to do psytrance, but I don't think they're the only way.

I agree but the converse is also true. X-Dream are great and all but (for example) Pan - "Murphy" is also still a psytrance track, y'know? Rolling basslines are one way to do psytrance, but I don't think they're the only way.

Agreed, 16th basslines are not the only way to make psytrance.

• Like 1

Mr Mustafa nailed it for me - the scene lacks succession of the spirit and real musicianship.

I really can't find the funkiness of Cosmosis, the hard pounding beats of X-Dream, the acid spirals of Green Nuns, the craziness of Koxbox. They are replaced by a few delayed sounds over a generic 16th note bassline (full-on) and utterly forgettable cheerleader goa remotely echoing MFG, Astral Projection (so called neo-goa).

The musicians sitting behind tons of hardware are replaced by laptop cowboys that happen to know a few things about playing notes. They have not really invested in this craft, so that's why the end product is so generic and bland.

I don't consider myself old so to not be able to accept new ideas, but I am old enough to recognize rich and mature musical expressions. I know this genre by heart, own or have listened to any significant release in any subgenre (including dark and hi-tech), so I know what I'm saying.

We need innovating artists with original ideas and real musicianship that can elevate the genre to new heights! Filteria is the only one I can think of at the moment.

• Like 1

@ Martian

You really have to stop assuming people hold a "grudge" just because they do not agree with your current taste in machine Gun Basslines and fart sounds... I personally do not hold a grudge against anything. I just very much dislike the way the more commercial scene headed.

@ Martian

You really have to stop assuming people hold a "grudge" just because they do not agree with your current taste in machine Gun Basslines and fart sounds... I personally do not hold a grudge against anything. I just very much dislike the way the more commercial scene headed.

To the readers of this forum, it does look like you hold a grudge against full on though.

Lately you replied to this review of Trance2MoveU here https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/34666-va-distance-to-goa-1/

and the review has been deleted by the moderation, but you wrote something like "well maybe you can't appreciate this old school goa compilation because you are into full on" which was ironic since you always tell people that "taste is personal" (and I do agree that taste is personal...)

I personnally can't stand full on but anyway i hardly see people around here who likes it (i mean psynews) except for 3 or 4 members (from what i have read). Back on topic, I am not too much fan of today's goa trance but as suggested above I can definitely recommend Neogoa. I miss old sound like Dark Soho, Darshan though.

...and is there any recent release around in the same style as both Scandi90s compilations released by Zion 604?

By the way Elysium your new album sounds very good, great news for the scene.

• Like 1

I miss old sound like Dark Soho, Darshan though.

...and is there any recent release around in the same style as both Scandi90s compilations released by Zion 604?

By the way Elysium your new album sounds very good, great news for the scene.

I don't like everything on this album but some of it is amazing dark goa trance: http://rajasrecords.bandcamp.com/album/v-a-integration-in-the-cave

@ Martian

Assume? All one has to do is read the plethora of comments.

Its fair enough to not like something, its fair enough to say it. But making derogatory comments, on repeat, for years upon years?...that's a grudge.

• Like 2

I am not saying that people should like full on, or force them selves to like the new releases from their old favorite artists, I am not saying that people should like anything they do not like.

But, why be bitter and feel abandoned? Just move on to something you like, if this music makes you feel bitter and abandoned.

What a weird way to debate. I hardly find it "to hold a grudge" to express ones dislike toward a certain genre of music.

To the readers of this forum, it does look like you hold a grudge against full on though.

You assume 100% of the readers of this forum think like you :)