Are you refering to "Psy Tech" ? "Psy Techno", "Psy Tech", "Tech Trance",...it's a real mess with Techno crossings... ("Psy Techno" = "Psy Tech" ??? Unless that "Psy Techno ≠ "Psy Tech". And I can be wrong but for me the word "Trance" in "Tech Trance" refere to "classic Trance", no ??? :wacko:)

it's complicated. psytek is the same thing many people call (psychedelic) techtrance. but in the last few years people have been calling the progressive / minimal techno crossover stuff "psy techno".

using the name "psy tech" is fine, even though "psytek" has been the most common term, since it was called that in ishkur's guide to electronic music (but ishkur mixes it up with "minimal psytrance" which is what your purplish "dark psyprog" bar represents). the other subgenre is universally called "psy techno" or "psytechno" (or "progressive trance" or "progressive psytrance", but let's not go down that rabbit hole again…)

aiqo.jpg

wlu9.jpg

pvtt.jpg

Here's what it looks like for now with the Full-On, Twilight and Dark. However I think replace artist name + album titles below "Influential productions:" by pictures of the albums concerned with links on it.

PS: I've merged the Dark Psytrance description and the Darkpsy one.

Edited by Lightforce
  • Like 2

Looks really good, although I'd like to know if other psynewers agree with the origins/influences. BTW you missed an 'e' at Parasense.

edit: I just realized that Pitch Hikers-Twilight Zone released before Shift's Byte Me. So I guess you should edit the Twilight name section. Sorry for the confusion.

Looks really good, although I'd like to know if other psynewers agree with the origins/influences. BTW you missed an 'e' at Parasense.

edit: I just realized that Pitch Hikers-Twilight Zone released before Shift's Byte Me. So I guess you should edit the Twilight name section. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, it has been rectified ;)

Now, here are the Forest, Psycore and Hi-Tech :

0jss.jpg

buti.jpg

3yub.jpg

Edited by Lightforce
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

dvxz.jpg

Is it ok for Psyprog?

And I also need help for Dark Psyprog and Psybient. Does one of you has informations about the origins of these styles?

Moreover, I think that I'll correct again the New School Goa establishment year to 2004 in the timeline given the points I mentioned previously about the two albums with Ethereal and Ypsilon 5.

Edited by Lightforce
  • Like 1

Blue planet is certainly not prog, not sure where you got that from? (a typo? :P )

Agree about Headcleaner by Atmos, and before that: Son kite - Minilogue.

Also, Intact instinct - Supply from below was released in 1999, it was a kind of dark prog (minimal) very nice album.

XV Kilist also released an EP in 1999 http://www.discogs.com/XV-Kilist-Kante-Gummi/release/91819

Edit: just noticed your graph about the year of birth of each genre, I think Intact instinct - Supply from below http://www.discogs.com/Intact-Instinct-Supply-From-Below/master/74672definitely fits into what I would call "dark psyprog", so 1999 instead of 2000 for this genre. Thanks and nice work :)

• Like 1

I think Prog starts before Atmos or Human Blue. I don't know if you agree, but I think Planet B.E.N. was influential in the prog sound. Then there's Der Dritte Raum, Der Stern Von Afrika, some Quirk tracks, Children Of Paradise (although C.O.P. is more techno back then we used to call them prog), M.O.S, Fools And Tools etc.

I think 1997 was the birth year of Prog, while 1999 the year the genre became "official".

• Like 1

Oh how did we forget Planet BEN, totally agree with you they were ahead of their time and can be considered the pioneers in the genre, even though the album Trippy future garden is not 100% prog more like a mix of goa and /minimal prog but yeah I guess that was the first release (1996) that influenced the rest (Son kite, MOS, Atmos...)

• Like 1

How many subgenres are left?

Don't know if I should do it for Goa Trance too because we already have its origins with Proto-Goa section but here are them :

- Nitzhonot/Uplifting Trance/Nitzhogoa (I already have informations about it thanks to Agneton)

- Psytrance (I already have a lot of informations with X-Dream - Radio and a lot of artists between 1999-2001)

- Dark Psyprog (I'm on this one at this moment, I've few informations about the first releases thanks to Manuser's previous posts but an extra help would be welcomed)

- Natural Trance

- Suomisaundi (I'm working on this one too but to much informations, its origins are at least as complex as those of Goa Trance. I've seriously to sort it. Any advice will be welcomed too)

- Psybreaks (pretty sure that Eat Static was the precursor)

- Psybient

- (don't know if I should include Experimental too since it's not always made of Psychedelic Trance)

Edited by Lightforce

Just want to say thanks for your continuing work on this project. This is a great document for everyone who loves this music.

[ FYI, you might want to flip Wild - Absolum to Absolum - Wild on your Psytrance origins page. ]

• Like 1

Don't know if I should do it for Goa Trance too because we already have its origins with Proto-Goa section but here are them :

- Nitzhonot/Uplifting Trance/Nitzhogoa (I already have informations about it thanks to Agneton)

- Psytrance (I already have a lot of informations with X-Dream - Radio and a lot of artists between 1999-2001)

- Dark Psyprog (I'm on this one at this moment, I've few informations about the first releases thanks to Manuser's previous posts but an extra help would be welcomed)

- Natural Trance

- Suomisaundi (I'm working on this one too but to much informations, its origins are at least as complex as those of Goa Trance. I've seriously to sort it. Any advice will be welcomed too)

- Psybreaks (pretty sure that Eat Static was the precursor)

- Psybient

- (don't know if I should include Experimental too since it's not always made of Psychedelic Trance)

I think you should do a board for Goa-Trance aswel :) and if you want to extend before 1994 , there was a lot of acid techno/trance going around which eventually evolved into goa-trance. Before the 90's there was Acid House.

All the best for this project , looking good !

Just want to say thanks for your continuing work on this project. This is a great document for everyone who loves this music.

[ FYI, you might want to flip Wild - Absolum to Absolum - Wild on your Psytrance origins page. ]

Just want to say thanks for your continuing support on this project ;)

Seems that you're right, I've reversed "Wild" and "Absolum", I'll rectify it ^_^

the guide is coming together nicely. this time i only have a few suggestions for improving grammar :)

originally, the "psytrance" term was just a diminutive of "psychedelic trance" [...]

i'd substitute "diminutive" with "contraction".

"kitten" would be the diminutive of "cat". "psytrance" is not "little psychedelic trance" or something ;)

the nitzhogoa, when with it, would be born [...]

umm... what? "when with it"?. also i'd not use "the" in front of nitzhogoa (or nitzhonot for that matter).

I think in the Psytrance section Hallucinogen, Koxbox and Sandman deserve a mention.

The first two are pioneers of a less Goa sound and even after all these years we have arguments if Hallucinogen or Koxbox are Psytrance or Goa.

Sandman was a pioneer of the genre and influenced many artists.