New update of the PDF, you can download the new version.

Here is the list of changes that have been made:

- Many additions and changes in various style definitions

Nice piece of work!!! You managed to capture the essence more or less... of course people can discuss about details, but this is valuable information for newcomers for sure!

Nice piece of work!!! You managed to capture the essence more or less... of course people can discuss about details, but this is valuable information for newcomers for sure!

Thank you for your support and I wanted to tell you that your class diagram also really helped me too ;)

hey man

very very good work - but i cant help telling you my eyes were bleeding when i saw 12 moons in the psytrance category haha

surely a mistake - otherwise very well done

Thank you for you're support you too ;)

But the album "Solid State" from 12 Moons is a blend of "classic" Trance and Psytrance, sorry if it disappointed you ^_^

Thank you for your support and I wanted to tell you that your class diagram also really helped me too ;)

Well, that thing keeps haunting me... now that it is definately out of date, yours is the one to go these days ;)

Thank you for your help but the vast majority of albums that you have posted do not include Ambient in composition but only Downtempo mixed with other genres. The Psybient is primarly Ambient. Certainly mixed with other genres, but it must first have an Ambient basis for it to be considered Psybient. And I can't add Downtempo in styles because it is a separate genre that is not only dedicated to psychedelia ^_^

This goes to show again how wildly differing opinions people have on genre definitions :)

Some people would probably put all of those albums in my list in a "psybient" genre and be done with it, I'd like to stick them in a (psychedelic) downtempo genre. Also the psybient genre (being an amalgamation of psychedelic+ambient) has become somewhat convoluted as people's view on what's "ambient" differs wildly depending who you're talking to.

I like keeping the (almost) totally beatless soundscapes as "ambient" in the classic sense, and the slower/chilled stuff with a beat as "downtempo" with influences and touches from basically anywhere, psychedelic or not.

Some people again define "ambient" (or psybient, see above) as basically anything that's not psytrance or goa but "downtempo".

Yes, it's an endless swamp you get stuck and lost in and can keep arguing about until the end of time and then some :)

Sorry for the mess, I'm having troubles keeping my thoughts together.

• Like 2

And please don't take this as me being a selfish know-it-all prick. Chillout/downtempo/psychill/psybient/etcetc just happens to be quite close to my heart :) It's what I started my DJing with.

- Update of the definition in "Psybient" section

- Album replacement in the "Goa Trance (New School)" page from the "Bonus" section

- Update of the definition in "Dark Psytrance" section

Why did you put Kurbeats - Folktronica in the natural trance bonus section?

Yes, this album can also be set in Psybient section due to the presence of Ambient in its composition. I recognize that it is a choice somewhat arbitrary but both are suitable ^_^

- Update of the definition in "Dark Psytrance" section

- Album replacement in the "Dark Psytrance" page from the "Bonus" section ("Emotions" from Menog replaced by "Combustion" from Dark Soho)

- Album replacement in the "Progressive Psytrance" page from the "Bonus" section ("Into the Void" from E-Clip replaced by "Around The World In 80 Minutes" from Tegma)

Yes, this album can also be set in Psybient section due to the presence of Ambient in its composition. I recognize that it is a choice somewhat arbitrary but both are suitable ^_^

Yes but you still didn't answer why it's in the natural trance section. And actually, why is Kataphasis - Earth Magick in there too? Because they're tagged as "Tribal" on Ektoplazm?

Overall I find it a bit odd that you include tribal/natural as a genre/style of its own. You said

Some styles that you spoke as “morning” and “minimal” are not styles but just a kind of "colors" of Psychedelic Trance.

Isn't tribal/natural also more like a colour?

Yes but you still didn't answer why it's in the natural trance section. And actually, why is Kataphasis - Earth Magick in there too? Because they're tagged as "Tribal" on Ektoplazm?

Indeed you're right concerning Kurbeats - Folktronica, it is not composed of tribal music, I will correct it as soon as I have time. But for Kataphasis - Earth Magick, it includes tribal music in his composition. It is not listed as such only on Ektoplazm but also on Discogs that seems to be more reliable regarding its musical classification ;)

Overall I find it a bit odd that you include tribal/natural as a genre/style of its own. You said

Isn't tribal/natural also more like a colour?

Nope, to my mind, tribal music is truly a style and not just a color because it is not simple sensations provided by some type of melodies ^_^

instead, it's simply sensations provided by some time of percussion ;)

Nice troll :lol:

But tribal music does not consist in simple sensations provided by a melody. With Tribal Music we are talking about different instruments and way of composing, unlike the morning which is just a perky aesthetic ;)

Amazing presentation and these definitions make a lot of sense. It should be recommended read for all psychedelic trance newcomers.

By the way, if proto-goa is a separate psychedelic trance style, are there any producers who make proto-goa songs today?

Nice troll :lol:

But tribal music does not consist in simple sensations provided by a melody. With Tribal Music we are talking about different instruments and way of composing, unlike the morning which is just a perky aesthetic ;)

;)

it totally understand that with psytrance groups that play "real" instruments, like for instance highlight tribe or some sonic fusion, but what about tribal tracks that follow the traditional psy/goa template and just have the focus on tribal percussion or a tribal aesthetic like most of elysium's music, der dritte raum - trommelmaschine (voodoo remix) or electric universe - the tribal session?

it's always difficult to fit all the different music we have in specific categories :)

- Removed the mention of "complexity" in the definition of different styles

- Album replacement in "Natural Psytrance" section ("Folktronica" from Kurbeats replaced by "Dance for the Celestial Beings" from Elysium)

- Added a full page of additional albums in the "Psybient" page from the "Bonus" section following recommendations of Paul Eye

- Various fixes

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

;)

it totally understand that with psytrance groups that play "real" instruments, like for instance highlight tribe or some sonic fusion, but what about tribal tracks that follow the traditional psy/goa template and just have the focus on tribal percussion or a tribal aesthetic like most of elysium's music, der dritte raum - trommelmaschine (voodoo remix) or electric universe - the tribal session?

it's always difficult to fit all the different music we have in specific categories :)

To be fair I do not think my music ever was Tribal in a pure form (or those you also mentioned). It contain a lot of genre influences going all the way back to the 80's electronic music etc. To call Elysium tribal has never been how I "saw" my music even though I did and still use some influences from Tribal and ethnic music. I've always used melodies and atmospheres which IMO does not resemble "tribal".

To me true tribal is way more minimal and has no melodies at all. True tribal is music created with a stick and homemade drums and performed in a village on the savannah.

One electronic tune that comes close to tribal is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlPrQS0BNRc

or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=229&v=XjLRvrWdynM

To be fair I do not think my music ever was Tribal in a pure form (or those you also mentioned). It contain a lot of genre influences going all the way back to the 80's electronic music etc. To call Elysium tribal has never been how I "saw" my music even though I did and still use some influences from Tribal and ethnic music. I've always used melodies and atmospheres which IMO does not resemble "tribal".

To me true tribal is way more minimal and has no melodies at all. True tribal is music created with a stick and homemade drums and performed in a village on the savannah.

yes, that's exactly what i wanted to say. music that gets the "tribal" label applied to by people can be anything from normal psy with some tribal influences like percussion or ethnic vocals to music with non-electronic instruments and/or real drumming (i know sonic fusion does that, i've had his drum kit in my car once) to music that's wholly focused on percussion and rhytm in a non-synthetic sounding way (let's forget about the non-electronic music made by real tribes for a moment ;) ).

while i understand that people would make a distiction for artists that play instruments, creating a more of a concert- rather than a trance dance experience, it's only the latter (that's much more minimal with almost no melodies) that i think warrents a genre called tribal (and most of that music isn't psy but most often rather some variant of techno).

Do you know the guide to electronic music by ishkur? This is very cool. Someone must do something like this for psychedelic trance. :D

(Maybe not in flash. HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript do it better ;) )

• Like 1