On 3/8/2019 at 10:43 PM, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

do you know glowing flame records? if not check out the compilations if yu have the time...i have uploaded themall on youtube. Very ineresting mixture of psytrance and forest elements....Forestdelic rec is by the same people like glowing flame rec. The Trold album is quite interesting too. Maybe you can include one of glowing flame releases in your project too. Would be amazing! Love the effort and work this macedonian guys did back in the 2000s

I included unRevealed by Yudhisthira in the four examples of Forest for the next update.

Update of the PDF, you can download the new version.

Here is the list of changes that have been made:

- Forest definition and albums update

- Some albums replacements in Dark Psytrance, Psy Tech and Goa Trance sections and pages of the "Bonus" section

That definition of forest psytrance sounds somewhat wrong - to say the birth of the first wave of forest trance is directly linked to Schlabba is cutting the corners. It's a lazy approach if you want me to put it bluntly. That's because the 'early forest sound' existed many years before y2k. Of course, if we wanna discuss the Schlabba thing a bit and give credit where it's due, it can be mentioned Ka-Sol and BOTFB were and still are active in forest parties and the very evolution of the sound. However, how both producers sounded in the very beginning of their careers, is just very close to classic goa in my books.  

Only Schlabbaduerst, afaik, was ever doing 'industrial forest sound' I'm not sure if that itself is enough to talk about this little niche as the other 'major trend'. 

I guess what we can argue about is the very aesthetic what forest is.... but if you allow me to express my opinion, then I'd say I see it as music with weird soundscapes and quirky melodies - something that started, in larger numbers, to exist around 97-98-ish and some fine examples of it are   

Katayama - Hyperwhirler / Tripfield 0-Logic (1998)

Hux Flux - Motor / STP Something (1998)

Little Blue Men - Jedi Smurf - Blah Blah Machine (1997)

VA - Tales From The Forest (!) (1998)

3 hours ago, Oopie said:

That definition of forest psytrance sounds somewhat wrong - to say the birth of the first wave of forest trance is directly linked to Schlabba is cutting the corners. It's a lazy approach if you want me to put it bluntly. That's because the 'early forest sound' existed many years before y2k. Of course, if we wanna discuss the Schlabba thing a bit and give credit where it's due, it can be mentioned Ka-Sol and BOTFB were and still are active in forest parties and the very evolution of the sound. However, how both producers sounded in the very beginning of their careers, is just very close to classic goa in my books.  

Only Schlabbaduerst, afaik, was ever doing 'industrial forest sound' I'm not sure if that itself is enough to talk about this little niche as the other 'major trend'. 

You're right, I wanted to be synthetic but you're right it needs some more shades about Schlabbaduerst and Forest origins. However, Schlabbaduerst is not the only one that produced industrial influenced Forest, check Chronicle Of Mystery Records. Indeed "main" seems a bit clumsy. What about that ?

There is two main distinguishable trends of Forest: the first one, born in the late 90’s and then linked to Schlabbaduerst Rekkords in the early 2000s, mainly consists in a blend of Goa and Psytrance or Darkpsy with often heavy Industrial Music influences and a more chaotic or experimental aesthetic while the second one, born in 2003, stemmed almost exclusively from Darkpsy. Note that the first one is uncommon contrary to the second one. 

I almost finished the definitions pages but I still have a lot of pages to do and I'm far to have finished. I implemented a night mode in addition and a menu (not functional yet) to allow you to naviguate in the different parts.
The french version isn't started yet, only the english version. I post here a link to the website in its current development. The menu links are desactivated for instance because the pages linked to it are not ready yet. Tell me what you think about its current features and design. If you have any further recommendations don't hesitate.

The responsive isn't done yet so, for now, I strongly recommend you to go on it only if you have a screen resolution of 1920x1080 at least or higher.

The website is named "The Psychedelic Trance encyclopedia".

Here is the link : https://psychedelic-trance-encyclopedia.com/

Pretty slick stuff so far, good job !

Maybe down the line you could do something akin to Ishkur's Guide & have some samples ready to play in order to showcase the different sections ? (this probably has already been suggested though)

10 hours ago, Proxeeus said:

Pretty slick stuff so far, good job !

Maybe down the line you could do something akin to Ishkur's Guide & have some samples ready to play in order to showcase the different sections ? (this probably has already been suggested though)

I can't put tracks in my server as it doesn't belong to me and it's illegal, even if I use free tracks. But each sub-style page is a slide, so you have arrows right and left that lead you to the albums example and they're clickable, so it will redirect you to the album you clicked on.

44 minutes ago, Lightforce said:

I can't put tracks in my server has they doesn't belong to me and it's illegal, even if I use free tracks. But each sub-style page is a slide, so you have arrows right and left that lead you to the albums example and they're clickable, so it will redirect you to the album you clicked on.

Gotcha ! YouTube links maybe? :P

then ishkur's guide was equally illegal. and for just psytrance it's even less likely that one of the psy labels will object to anyone using short samples of one of their tracks as examples for a subgenre. if i were to own the rights to one of those tracks i'd be glad for the promotion :)

but yeah, youtube links would be good too.

13 hours ago, Proxeeus said:

Gotcha ! YouTube links maybe? :P

11 hours ago, Padmapani said:

then ishkur's guide was equally illegal. and for just psytrance it's even less likely that one of the psy labels will object to anyone using short samples of one of their tracks as examples for a subgenre. if i were to own the rights to one of those tracks i'd be glad for the promotion :)

but yeah, youtube links would be good too.

I understand your point on including tracks in the website but I'm not in the head of each producers so I wouldn't take the risk to put their tracks in my website.
And for YT links I think it's not a good idea because YT links can be dead if someone remove the video, if the channel is removed or if there's country restrictions. So it will force me to check regularly if links are dead and it can happen that I run out of time ^_^

At least, with Discogs/Bandcamp links I'm almost sure links won't be deprecated.

19 minutes ago, thanosp81 said:

Excellent work. However, I thought it was a known that capitalised text only makes it harder to read? :P

Are you talking about titles or "regular" text ? Because only titles has been sometimes capitalised. The font used for paragraphs isn't a capitalised font.

(This post will be updated on each changement)

List of things done/to do:

• "Definitions" pages: done
  • "F.A.Q." pages: done
  • "Bonus" pages: in progress
  • "Origins" pages: to do
  • french translations: to do
  • responsive web design: to do
Edited by Lightforce

I developped some features for the website for those who feel uncomfortable with some visual elements :

- a text aligner to left
- a font changer
- an opacity of backgrounds behind content changer

I placed all of them with the night mode in the lower right corner of the page ;)

10 hours ago, Lightforce said:

- a police changer

can it be used to make the cops less fascist? ;)

btw: what are those half-moon and neogoa symbols supposed to do? when i click on either of them the whole website flickers briefly and the background takes on a slightly lighter or darker hue.

13 hours ago, Padmapani said:

can it be used to make the cops less fascist? ;)

:D

I'm stupid as f*ck. I forgot that the "police" word in french is translated "font" in english. Let's say I was tired :lol:

13 hours ago, Padmapani said:

btw: what are those half-moon and neogoa symbols supposed to do? when i click on either of them the whole website flickers briefly and the background takes on a slightly lighter or darker hue.

The "half-moon" is an opacity symbol and it's for opacity of dark backgrounds behind content (titles, paragraphs,...etc). If you feel uncomfortable to read the texts because the transparency of the dark background isn't low enough you can click on this half-moon to lower the transparency to be only 10% instead of 20%.

And the "neogoa" symbol is a night mode that will place a dark background with 20% of transparency behind content but in front of the whole image backgrounds to reduce the eyestrain due to too bright/light colors if you're on the website in a dark room.

Note that you can combine all these modifiers if you want.

1 hour ago, Richpa said:

Great work!

Could you please update the link for the Neogoa page. You can use our official website or Bandcamp page :)

Done :)

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/5/2015 at 2:21 PM, Lightforce said:

Here is the link for the English version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7po6dz18w4e0rm/Psytrance%20(EN).pdf?dl=0

Fantastic work, Lightforce!  Yes, this psy-trance thing is endlessly fascinating.  So many branches, so many worlds.

I would say the Psykovsky - Ksolntsu album comes under experimental or hi-tech.  It's not very darkpsy.

Interesting how Juno Reactor come in under 3 or 4 different styles.  I wish more artists would experiment with their sound for different albums.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:31 AM, dhollmusik said:

Fantastic work, Lightforce!  Yes, this psy-trance thing is endlessly fascinating.  So many branches, so many worlds.

I would say the Psykovsky - Ksolntsu album comes under experimental or hi-tech.  It's not very darkpsy.

Interesting how Juno Reactor come in under 3 or 4 different styles.  I wish more artists would experiment with their sound for different albums.

Thanks for these words. Your comment about Ksointsu made me listening to it again and I changed my mind, I think you're right and I moved this album in experimental :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking through this forum and came across this thread and your pdf and i must say it makes things MUCH easier to classify the different psytrance genres than EVER before. :wub: Personally it would be nice to have the other sections (origins, more examples) with their retrospective subgenre sections but I can understand that it allows people to go through the basics first before it gets that much more complex.

I've been working on my own project for breaking down and explaining genres in chronological cd length playlists for just over 10 years and its clear this next year I should spend the time on trance and psytrance and going more in depth with them as you have illustrated and exploring the subgenres a whole lot more. Most of those lists are old and I've added onto them rather than break them apart into different lists like Hardcore and Drum & Bass. Anyway your lists are so comprehensive I may need to go through my existing ones and see what i may have missed out on.  Most of mine were based on multiple sources and posts on this forum a couple times, like with Full-On. Anyway it will be good to compare and contrast and then look into subgenres i haven't checked out yet.

I'm looking into Nitzonot this week. I'm seeing many things i agree with but other albums seems a bit weaker choices. If you're up for feedback on improvements I'd love to help. ;):+1:Agneton and Psygreg seems like the great experts of that. [edit: update]

I was actually looking into Psycore when i found your thread. That still seems a little under-documented as a whole but it seems like the black sheep of the psy/hardcore families. Anyway I just wanted to first say thank you and also show what I've compiled on my side of the internet.;) Hopefully I'll be catching up on Psychedlic Trance all through 2020. Anyway glad to meet you and thanks again!

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, thefreewave said:

I was looking through this forum and came across this thread and your pdf and i must say it makes things MUCH easier to classify the different psytrance genres than EVER before. :wub: Personally it would be nice to have the other sections (origins, more examples) with their retrospective subgenre sections but I can understand that it allows people to go through the basics first before it gets that much more complex.

I've been working on my own project for breaking down and explaining genres in chronological cd length playlists for just over 10 years and its clear this next year I should spend the time on trance and psytrance and going more in depth with them as you have illustrated and exploring the subgenres a whole lot more. Most of those lists are old and I've added onto them rather than break them apart into different lists like Hardcore and Drum & Bass. Anyway your lists are so comprehensive I may need to go through my existing ones and see what i may have missed out on.  Most of mine were based on multiple sources and posts on this forum a couple times, like with Full-On. Anyway it will be good to compare and contrast and then look into subgenres i haven't checked out yet.

I'm looking into Nitzonot this week. I'm seeing many things i agree with but other albums seems a bit weaker choices. If you're up for feedback on improvements I'd love to help. ;):+1:Agneton and Psygreg seems like the great experts of that. [edit: update]

I was actually looking into Psycore when i found your thread. That still seems a little under-documented as a whole but it seems like the black sheep of the psy/hardcore families. Anyway I just wanted to first say thank you and also show what I've compiled on my side of the internet.;) Hopefully I'll be catching up on Psychedlic Trance all through 2020. Anyway glad to meet you and thanks again!

Hey, thank you for these words and nice to meet you too.
For sure, I'm always up for discussions and improving ;)

On 12/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, thefreewave said:

I'm seeing many things i agree with but other albums seems a bit weaker choices.

That's to say? Explain me :)

So here's the set i just compiled for https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/rym-ultimate-box-set-nitzhonot/

I kept the quotes and scores from Agneton and Psygreg seems like the great experts for it.  I guess the examples Zed Reactor and Space Buddha fit the style but are a bit average in comparison to some of the other options. Ideally it would be nice to have the best of the best albums under selections.

I don't know how far you've gotten into Psycore. I've got a bit of a list going but its pretty hard to separate and define it apart from Hi-Tech https://www.discogs.com/lists/Psycore/544591 It's s start....