OK, I've updated it. Go check again, I've also added the "occultism" word in the definition ;)

Oh, my man! Thanks! Sorry if I was pushing too hard. Let me work on it a little now before your next update, ok?

Here are some more intricacies:

You write that Nitzhonot and Uplifting use "Eastern" melodies. After listening to them a bit, I realized that these are Middle Eastern melodies, not just Eastern. In fact, I don't know what Eastern melodies are. One can think of anything from Chinese and Indian music to Arabic, Greek, etc. - They are all quite different. So, I am adding the word "Middle" to your "Eastern", ok?

Oh, my man! Thanks! Sorry if I was pushing too hard. Let me work on it a little now before your next update, ok?

No worries, PDF re-updated ^_^

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody :)

Since I discovered Psychedelic Trance, there are approximately 1-2 years I have never ceased to observe what I had observed in the Hardcore scene, Industrial, Rock,...etc : there are so many styles and sub-styles that it becomes a mess to find a way and we sometimes end (or even often) to nonsensical debates about how we will appoint or not appoint, define or not define, this or that music or this or that style.

So I decided there are now more than a year to create a doc in PDF form gathering all styles of Psychedelic Trance and their characteristics without making pies of texts to infinity and beyond.

2901243725316.jpg

lol thanks bro that cheered me up loooooooooooooolll that buzz xD LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL love toy story looooooool specially them wee aliens loooooooooooooooool

xD

loooooooooool

goa is goa im not gonna overthink it im done with this looooooooooooool

• 3 weeks later...

New update of the PDF, you can download the new version.

Here is the list of changes that have been made:

- Update of definitions for Goa Trance, Forest and Twilight

- Some albums replacements in the "Goa Trance" section and the "Goa Trance" (Old School and New School) pages from the "Bonus" section

- Moved some albums that was subject to debate ("Beyond the Infinite" by Juno Reactor and "In Fear of a Red Planet" by Cydonia) from the "Experimental" pages of the "Bonus" section in the "Goa Trance (Old School)" pages of the same section

- Some albums replacements in the "Experimental" pages from the "Bonus" section

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New update of the PDF, you can download the new version.

- Album replacement about "Psycore" in the "Dark Psytrance" section

Thanks for your support, in fact this work has begun in 2013.

And yes, I'll continue to update it again and again as long as changes will be necessary. It's a long-term work ^_^

• 1 month later...

Nice work, but I think that you can do it better by using more musicological approach...

You must mention the influence of the oldschool hardware sequencers and the modern DAWs on the musical (melodic and motivic) and harmonical (background figures/pads and arpeggios) material found in psytrance/trance.

Define what is Trance (and the difference between Techno and Trance), then work on the the Psytrance definition, then - the subgenres.

Imo, many of the psychedelic trance subgenres (this applies to the other EDM genres like house, dnb, breakbeat) don't have enough substance to be called subgenres.

Imo, the newer sound - full on, tech, dark, forest and so on - is actually techno.

Goa and the more melodic psy tunes have more in common with the mainstream trance genres than with the rest of the psytrance.

The ambient and high tempo derivatives are also not trance (but they can be psychedelic).

http://science.jrank.org/pages/10338/Musicology-Principal-Methodologies-Musicological-Research.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_analysis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tune-family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(music)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

Nice work, but I think that you can do it better by using more musicological approach...

You must mention the influence of the oldschool hardware sequencers and the modern DAWs on the musical (melodic and motivic) and harmonical (background figures/pads and arpeggios) material found in psytrance/trance.

It's for everyone. And talking about production techniques may leave a lot of people on the lurch (including myself). However the problem could be solved by creating a page dedicated to the technique. But I'm going to need help because I know almost nothing about it.

Define what is Trance (and the difference between Techno and Trance), then work on the the Psytrance definition, then - the subgenres.

This document assumes that readers have already learned about Trance, Techno and others. I have placed clickable links on genres names not belonging to the Psychedelic Trance that I mention so that readers are redirected to the corresponding wikipedia pages.

Imo, many of the psychedelic trance subgenres (this applies to the other EDM genres like house, dnb, breakbeat) don't have enough substance to be called subgenres.

Imo, the newer sound - full on, tech, dark, forest and so on - is actually techno.

I don't think so. This substyles that you speak about are not different substyles from a technical point of view, but they are in the way that "instruments" (this word don't fits about software production but you see what I mean) are used.

I know the Techno stage and I know that Techno has been more influent on the "classical" Psytrance (the one I talk about on page 9 of the PDF) but I think that's more in the "classical" Psytrance bloodline than in the Techno one.

Goa and the more melodic psy tunes have more in common with the mainstream trance genres than with the rest of the psytrance.

The ambient and high tempo derivatives are also not trance (but they can be psychedelic).

Yes, that's why, for example, I said "Psybient is an Ambient style that can be attached to Psychedelic Trance" and not "Psybient is a Psychedelic Trance substyle" ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for making this, my friends can now finally stop telling me that Proggy is Goa :D

You're welcome :lol:

Update of definition for Twilight

Albums replacements in the "Twilightsection and the "Twilightpage from the "Bonus" section

• 4 weeks later...

I think for Psycore if it has to be the core as in fast ............. Psykovsky's Ksolntsuu is a best example. Its Psychedelic, and core (aka fast phased music)

https://psykovsky.bandcamp.com/releases

Psycore section updated ^_^

Awesome job!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

About history of goa trance in Finland, very good free-to-download thesis with lots of detailed information:

https://helda.helsinki.fi/handle/10138/34536

What a gem, a wealth of information ! A sunken treasure that resurfaced thanks to you. Thanks a lot for this.

• 4 weeks later...

Multiple definitions update