2. Orion 2

3. Eolis 2

4. Kalimba

5. Replicants

6. Sherkan 2

7. Reykjavik

8. Flirt Filter

$350.94

Let that number sink in. Lotta money. You could do a lot with that kind of green.

You could get about 15 private lap dances in a row in West Philly.

OlzAyKF.jpg

Or...you know, one if we're paying by the metric ton. Damn...that sh*t is straight hood.

You could get an absolute f*ckton of Twinkies.

RpR8N69.jpg

Why you gotta be like dat? We had some good times.

Or...or...and hear me out. You could've said f*ck my car payment like someone from Discogs did and purchase this album. Yes, just the album.

e8O0qDV.gif

That's right, buy the original and a n*gga be walkin' to work.

This is arguably one of the best goa trance albums that Gilbert Thévenet ever released. We all want this album yet we also don't want to ditch our whip and have to take the f*cking bus.

2JuxeBP.jpg

37 minutes into a 5 hour bus ride and Short Round fears that his celebratory Taco Bell bon voyage lunch will soon arouse suspicion.

And let's be honest most of us only have the download. Don't act like you don't. So I think a little gratitude can once again be thrown towards Suntrip for channeling their inner DAT Records and re-releasing this beast from the golden days. Starting with the artwork it's highly recognizable for those of us in the know. A psychedelic Buddhist alien practicing meditation? He's so shiny! And now with increased shininess! The kind folks at Suntrip have kept the artwork in its original form for the most part. There is a new CD tray and the art on the CD was tweaked a little bit.

An album however is always going to be judged on the music contained within and this one certainly doesn't disappoint. Spiraling melodies abound, twisting and extending. It's vintage, but instead of smelling like the bathroom after one of grand dad's "thinking sessions" it's old school. Layers, aggressive leads, and a seemingly endless supply of bounce to the ounce. This is one of those classics that starts out in beast mode and gets stronger as you get sucked further into its psychedelic vortex.

Looking at the tracklist is like reading the ten commandments. Anafuzz sizzles like Though some of the sounds are dated, it works. Supremely well. Having trouble figuring out how to totally kill a dance floor? Have your recent DJ sets driven the kids to treat the dance floor like it was covered in land mines? This is one long dance session where you can push play, go get a drink, have a smash and the crowd will still love it.

My personal problem with the CD has nothing to do with what Suntrip has done. Nope, it's Orion 2 which suffers from sample fatigue, but even with that I can see how that would entrance the masses. Other than that this is another jewel in the Suntrip crown bringing a thin slice of heaven from the past back to where it rightfully belongs. An album like this needs to be heard and is now accessible to a wider swath of fans and people who are soon to be fans. It's a collector's dream come true.

Thanks Suntrip. You just saved me over $338.

Suntrip

• Like 1

SdzA9tZ.jpg

Asia 2001

Psykadelia

Suntrip Records

Tracklist:

1. Anafuzz

2. Orion 2

3. Eolis 2

4. Kalimba

5. Replicants

6. Sherkan 2

7. Reykjavik

8. Flirt Filter

Man, this one takes me back to a different life altogether. It was a time when goa was an eastern hemisphere phenomenon (largely it still is), every single raver in the world flocked to Ishkur's Guide To Electronic Music like it was the second coming of Jesus and whatever new goa hit the planet with some degree of popularity would pop up on Napster some six months later, all shiny and new and available for play when it was done downloading in about six to twenty-four hours, depending on the performance of your dial-up connection.

For a kid in New York listening to Man With No Name, Cydonia, Astral Projection and Total Eclipse through crap-quality audio files - his only access to these magical sounds - it was like listening to transmissions from a completely alien world, literally and figuratively.

It is with a loving heart that I have listened to the newly re-released Psykadelia and have been transported to a by-gone era. It is a lovely and awesome journey.

The back-story of this one is intriguing where something so good was so limited in its initial release in 1997, through Asia 2001's own Trans'Pact label, thus making it extremely difficult to obtain and therefore an immediate must-have, a cult status it has kept to this day. Now the mystique is lifted and we are able to hear the album in something other than dial-up quality and it is most definitely worth it!

"Anafuzz" gets my vote for best of this bunch (though all eight tracks are captivating) because it bristles with so many different ideas and the creativity is pulled together exceptionally well in awe-inspiring harmony. "Orion 2" is decent goa showcasing tribal chants that most will find either hypnotically repetitive or persistently annoying (I fall in the former). And in the well-chosen words of MDK, everything else is "in beast mode and gets stronger as you get sucked further into its psychedelic vortex."

Psykadelia's sole down point is its lack of variety, as compared to another Suntrip re-release on Dimension 5's Transdimensional masterpiece, but when similar-structured full-on goa sounds this damn good that is hardly a shortcoming. Of these, the uplifting euphoria overload of "Kalimba," the mystical and mysterious chants of the full-powered "Replicants" romp and the storming acidity of "Sherkan 2" showcase Martin Cooper/Gilbert Thevenet pouring passion and fire into his music.

"Eolis 2" and "Reykajvik" are blazing portals of straight-forward, no-frills goa power while the "Flirt Filter" conclusion brings back the melodic greatness of the album's opening tracks and combines them with the raw and riveting muscle of the later tracks.

I would stop short of calling Psykadelia a masterpiece but would go all-in on calling this a must-hear. Especially in this crisp-sounding, better than dial-up, re-released edition.

Asia 2001

I stand corrected, just used to the old albums being remastered, I suppose. I corrected my text. Here's from the Suntrip site: "So, what's the deal :) You get the original music, with original mastering (it was damn great already back in the days) and the artwork is 80% original... 20% of the artwork has been made by us. There is a new tray and the cd was tweaked a bit. Also, the cover has better colors!"

It was not remastered! This was written in the newsletter of Suntrip. And that is a good thing. More dynamics, no "to the roof" modern mastering... For modern tracks that is cool, for this one, the true mastering is better fitting. And the music, that is simply stellar! Kalimba, Replicants and Reykjavik are thé definition of goa-trance! Thank you Suntrip for making this diamond available again for a good price!!!

I'd never heard this album before getting my hands on the Suntrip Re-issue.

It's certainly a classic slice of Goa and a million miles away from Asia 2001's recent "Contact" album - which I thought was pretty dreadful.

Thanks for getting it back out there! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Asia2001 - Psykadelia
Suntrip Records

2015 (Re-Release) - Originally released in 1997

SdzA9tZ.jpg

1. Anafuzz
2. Orion 2
3. Eolis 2
4. Kalimba
5. Replicants
6. Sherkan 2
7. Reykjavik
8. Flirt Filter

I'm hearing this album for the first time in 2015. It ran out-of-print not long after its release in 1997 and was too expensive to buy until 2015. Its been 18 years. I thought I heard the best of the best songs of old-school Goa, but apparently not. I have one other Asia2001 album titled Amazon, and although there's some great tracks on it, Psykadelia (as a whole) is much better. I strongly feel that Psykadelia is the artist's most psychedelic, melodic, and overall tightest album to date. It's not afraid to take risks, and that's a good thing. On to the tracks.

1. Anafuzz is an atmospheric and half ethereal, half cosmic Goa oddity. The synth lead at 1:19 is excellent and complemented at 1:55. The ethnic, echoed female voice adds character. Other FX add to the fantasy-feel of the song. The fantasy element is more akin to Chi-A.D.'s style but through the vision of the artist. It's fresh and works great. The only part I'm not a fan of is the abrupt, rather odd transition at 3:45. It could have been smoother, less random. Despite that, it works to re-freshen the song which only gets better. There is a stronger mixture of layering in the second half which adds to the chorus-esque (climactic lead) excitement. Between shifts, the artist keeps our attention before the next wave arrives, returning the (stuck in my head) climactic lead with even greater emphasis in the later act. This is a really satisfying track. It creates something great while in a sense, creating fan service to the genre itself. Maybe the latter is actually in part what happened because of songs like this. A

2. Orion 2 appears to be the controversial track on the album when I read through reviews on the original thread, also mentioned in this one above. The song starts slow and mysterious. The first 2-3 minutes have a tune as if driving through the Sierean or Egyption deserts; it's effective. Acknowledging the controversy(?), there is a unique sing-songy, chorus-esque voice sample at 2:59. This repeats numerous times throughout the song like a harmony with the other elements. Around this, the synths grow catchier, such as at 4:12. Even the voice sample is complimented with another one at some point. The music may not feel as exploratory or unpredictable because of them. At 5:36, they disappear all together as the music's intricacy increases. I suppose that the artist could have kept the final act sample free, and I see how some may have preferred less of their usage, while others really appreciate and enjoy this unique aspect. The music is great all around and this song is consistently solid for me, with very catchy elements throughout. A-

3. Eolis 2 is faster, more psychedelic and relentless. The first several minutes are buildup and grow increasingly more animated, unpredictable, and elaborate. The song is like a computer that becomes conscious and exponentially evolves in intelligence, attitude, and unpredictable behavior, well all until the very end. The first analysis is around 3:02 with results coming in at 3:14 that exceed expectations. The artist raises the bar here with the sounds selection relative to their arrangement, production tweaks and intricacy. Their is a subtle guitar involved interlude in the middle that bridges the next section. The next incoming wave of intelligence arrives at 6:55, and it's refreshingly novel and excellent. This flow evolves into new terrain that pushes further via the seventh and eighth minute. I find the song until 9:55 outstanding. It could have easily ended at around there, perfect. But curiously, the artist decided to create an extension around the tenth minute, extending the song's life for 1:20. Although this extension is solid, it doesn't really offer us anything new, and so it doesn't feel necessary. In that regard, I began to lose interest after what felt like a perfectly satisfying close to an exceptional track. Nitpick aside, this is one of the catchiest Goa songs I've ever head. I love its mechanically intricacy, its arrangement, and sheer creative approach. It's impressive. A

4. Kalimba is melodic madness. It's deliciously crafted and grows increasingly catchy. The artist keeps adding in juicy melodies that flow, concocting melodic bliss in the opening act. It's amazing really. The first four to three to five minutes of the song grow to total eargasm; I'd give it solid A. I didn't want it to end. Initially I couldn't figure out why I found the song less memorable and exciting as it progressed until I heard it over and over again. Now I know why. At some point in the sixth minute, the song grows more repetitive, less dynamic and intoxicating. There is a nice drum segment at 6:56. Again, it's nice but nothing spectacular. I feel like the artist ran out of steam early on, unsure how to take the song to new highs. The song's peek (best part) happens earlier than many songs we consider classics, and that is its short-coming here. Kalimba takes off like a rocket (after the first minute) and gradually becomes a missile before ending with a whimper rather than a bang. There is some amazing work as I stated above. I simply wish that the artist sustained the incredible, melodic bliss high for the song's full duration, and kept things as addictive and dynamic in that regard. Overall this is a great song with some phenomenal melody work! A-

5. Replicants doesn't have the amazing first (or juicy melody structure) of Kalimba. It also has a slightly louder kick drum than the other songs. I wasn't sure why, but it works. There's not much of an intro. The beat jumps in at 0:27. Very little grabs my attention in the first two minutes too. Hmmm... Doesn't sound so good so far, but the song somehow is great. Wait, what?! Well because it gets better as it progresses. The generic may as well be a head fake. I'd rather listen to a song that starts out okay and gets better than the other way around, and this gets oh so good. It has a lust for tight melodic intricacy, with a touch of the golden age of Pleiadians (harder edged synth work). Yet never does it sound borrowed or ripped off. This is a tight tripping yarn of a mind-twisting head trip. The segment at 6:25 kicks ass. The song keeps building to new sections that are elaborately arresting. The song ends with a climactic-esque finale, just perfect and very enjoyable. This is a great track. A-

6. Sherkan 2 is a return to Goa madness. The melodic arches and braids are tight. The energy is high. Synth work is infectious. The song innovates. It seems to have no rules. It's FX jumps out into our faces, and the result, I think, is ridiculously good. I love songs that innovate and if you liked the previous tracks, just wait unit you here these last three. This last stretch of the album is edgy, furiously melodic, and exciting. It elevates the album's first and second acts. Furthermore, the artist takes risk. I just love how catchy the Goa melody/sound work is. I love how things change up, keeping my attention throughout. If only Kalimba's sheer melodic madness was this rejuvenating from start to finish (at least for me - I know many people like Kalimba). For me, this is more rewarding as a whole. The artist really knows how to produce an awesome song. A

7. Reykjavik starts out unexpected. There is no intro unless you consider a kick drum increasing in volume one. And yet I'd give it a perfect score. Is that part at 1:44 not exceptionally catchy?! That's just the beginning. This artist seems to have no limitation at times with pushing something great even higher through innovation, creative risk-taking. He has a wild imagination, and you will hear his zero-tolerance for mediocrity throughout this album. Being good doesn't seem acceptable for the most part. This is catchier than the previous number, and another super song that I love every time I listen to. The song is packed with character, twists and turns, buildup and climax, style and visceral elements, atmosphere and ingenuity. It's one of the reasons why we listen to Goa music. The track is spectacular and makes me think of lowering my score on the previous track, just by a little! That's how strong this song is. A

8. Flirt Filter is anything but filtered or filler. The artist keeps finding ways to top himself in terms of what's catchy. My girlfriend finds the previous track catchier in comparison but myself and numerous others find this song even catchier in some ways. Here, the artist takes ONE direction and builds it to near perfection, continuously improving the ride. After the relentless former number, I appreciate the less non-linear direction here. It's the combination of synths, melody/sound work, along with tight interludes and seamless evolutions that make this thing such a doozy. Until the final moments, the song is outstanding. The part at 6:52... how can anyone say that's not catchy? To me the few who do are probably not fans of Goa music. Either that or a very rare exception. This is a really wicked song that doesn't know how to quit gripping us throughout. A

CONCLUSION

Asia2001's re-release of Psykadelia is one of the best albums that Suntrip has ever released. It's their best re-release since D5's Transdimensional, and one of the best Goa-Trance albums I've ever heard.This blows Amazon out of the water, or at least unquestionably surpasses it in my opinion. I thought I had the best Asia2001 album with Amazon. But no. Definitely not. Don't get me wrong. I like it, but as a whole, it's no Psykadelia, Suntrip re-released what many consider to be the artist's best album to date and this is it. The original mastering is in tact too I later learned (my apologies) and sounds great. Thankfully, the CD is back into circulation and for a reasonable price after all these years. Thank you Suntrip for making this happen. Psykadelia is a must have for Goa fans. The sheer creative insanity of it alone is worth it. This is a fantastic album.

Favorite tracks - 1 (!), 2, 3 (!!!), 4, 5, 6(!), 7(!!), 8 (!!!)

A

Samples / Order

Suntrip

https://www.suntriprecords.com/release/cat/SUNCDLE05/

Stream the full album here:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...