remnant

with all due respect gentleman , the 'goa cow' is perfectly dry in some labels , notice the constant rereleases of old material & remixes... -_-

why listen to remix when original is always better?... :D

I disagree completely! :) You can be much more creative if you don't use the same midi or sample files, BPM or key. Otherwise it's more a cover than a remix/remake imo.

What about Leave Originals Alone? :D

The constant releasing of remixes album just shows theres no creativity and all we see what the goa scene is doing is recycling LOL

I tried the remixes on a dancefloor, they work like crazy as well...

when i buy a CD i buy it to listen to it with good headphones at home - and i dont turn the volume up too much anyway good music doesnt need to be played too loud

and really anything can work on a dancefloor so thats not saying much

And for me its pretty simple, if you dont like a release, skip :P

dont worry thats what we do - download and then buy or not buy - at least in my case and here obviously no buy

i dont think ill ever buy a cd that features 4 different remixes of 1 single track and then 3 remixes of another track unless they are extraordinary and varied or if i have lots of money lol

Diversity is the key...!

People in the goa-scene complain like hell... :P Never anything is good... :)

or maybe they just write personal reviews of albums in the review section here

i joined recently here i love the review section and i notice plenty of positive reviews including a few i wrote - so maybe actually you complain about the negative reviews - that sounds more like it lol

back on topic - after several listens

boundless nervasystem remix is a solid opener thanks to nervasystem touch (rarely boring)

imba apparently is the only one to notice the subtle melody in the original of alien pets and recreate it here in the intro of his remix - i like that melody and thats probably the most interesting alien pets remix here

as stated above jagoa remix is indeed interesting enough

so thats three tracks

the rest is subpar - mugen is better than the original but still nothing special

the worst remix is from trinodia - it sounds like the exact opposite of an inspired remixer

half of this cd sounds quite bland so no buy for me there is much better music around

when i buy a CD i buy it to listen to it with good headphones at home - and i dont turn the volume up too much anyway good music doesnt need to be played too loud

Very bad comparison! GoaTrance is music to dance and for the dancefloor. So the best thing to test this music is the dancefloor.

But maybe... next time to test the music we invited the people to the suntrip laboratory. Everyone gets headphones, listen to the music and write an essay. :D

Very bad comparison! GoaTrance is music to dance and for the dancefloor. So the best thing to test this music is the dancefloor.

But maybe... next time to test the music we invited the people to the suntrip laboratory. Everyone gets headphones, listen to the music and write an essay. :D

Well, I agree with Celaripo on this one. Why would I ever buy a CD if it was meant for the dancefloor?

• Like 1

Because goa-trance is dance-music as well? :P

I'm not arguing that it isn't. For example, I mostly listen to music relaxed lying on my bed to completely enjoy the voyage. Whether it works on a dancefloor or not is irrelevant for me.

I'm not arguing that it isn't. For example, I mostly listen to music relaxed lying on my bed to completely enjoy the voyage. Whether it works on a dancefloor or not is irrelevant for me.

Of course, I don't look at goa-trance as "dance-music" only, but as a dj & party-organier, one of the factors is also how it workd on the dancefloor. Not the main factor of course, as that is the musicality...

So to end my input here. I heard very good comments, here some bad comments too. Ah well, that is possible with a release. We tried something different here, with this collaboration with Maturi Digital. A pitty it didnt work for some. Our next release will be "new" music only of course, like usual... Lets hope this will make all happy again. We just finished the new compilation, it will be more psychedelic and crazy the first part as usual... Experiments identify Change, isn't it? :)

Guest antic

WTF, are people really complaining about this release?!

It's far from the best Suntrip ever released, but it is quite good IMO - the remixes are similar, but each one has the sound of their respective 'remixer'. I can definitely hear own influence from Nervasystem, Imba, Filteria, Skizolologic and the rest also have their particular flavor, though I'm less familiar with those artists. I too would love if this contained some other tracks - especially my beloved Primal Orbit! - but, what is there is fine: musically it is at least good, mastering / production is pretty much perfect, artwork is usual Suntrip high-standard, etc. I can't see how this release warrants such polarized opinions, with ratings of 1/10 being given "because it's only 3 tracks". Nobody forces anyone to buy anything.

• Like 3

As one of the remixers i thought i would give my input on this matter :)

I was approached by Tsuyoshi himself on Facebook and it was his suggestion to make remix of Alien Pets and i gladly accepted. Remixing a legend like Prana it doesn't matter what track really. It's an honor to get the question at all. After the remix has been done i actually started doing a remix of Primal Orbit but have not gotten far with it yet, not sure if i ever will finish it.

About the Alien Pets remix.

Firstly, there were NO, meaning zero material to base the remix from. No midis, no audio tracks, no samples to use or what so other than a original wav file that is the same as the original complete track that can be found on the original release.

That makes the work to reproduce the original melodies more like making a cover than an actual remix since you have to recreate as good as you are possible to do what the original was and how it was made and constructed.

I made my remix almost complete and then exported three midi files for the main melodies and shared them with Imba and Filteria. I doubt any of them used them as they were since there were flaws in them, both in note lengths and i bet there were some notes missing in them also. One of the melodies in Alien Pets is quite random in it's notes and i took the time and put them in, one by one to try to get them all correct but i am fairly sure i in the end missed quite a few towards the end. Also i did not include all melodies from the original, maybe a mistake but it is a remix as stated. Not a cover meaning i am free to be creative to some extent.

I also found out from what movie the original vocals where from (thanks to psydb.net that has listed a lot of tracks and what movies the vocals in thems come from), located the part where it was from, sampled those and processed them to make them sound as close as the original as i could. These i did also share with Imba and Filteria so they would not have to redo that work.

Again, i don't know if they used them or not but if they had come with the same offer to me, i would have gladly taken the help and used it as a foundation to build on.

Soundwise, well, my remix is a Trinodia remix after all and also a cover meaning i tried to reproduce the original sounds with what i have at my disposal but at the same time add some Trinodia sound into the mix. I know it doesnt suit all and i am fine with that.

Normally, a remix means you most likely get some parts of the original track (at least of my experience). May that be melodies, effects, drums, vocals or midis but at least something but as the case is with these older tracks, most of the times the artist very rarely have any access to the original work that was made. I also have a lot of tracks that were made in the 90s that i have no possibility to release today without redoing them from the first note to the last sound. So far i have done that with only one track (Top Secret, 2013 mix) and i still like the original better, it has more soul which i guess is the case also with the remix/cover of Alien Pets. :)

Other artists are most certainly better at reworking the original to its smallest bits, notes and sounds. Personally i am not that persistent when it comes to reworking other artists work other than to a certain point when i decide i have it "close enough" and i can add my parts to it while still maintaining an original feel.

Anyway, i am pleased with the result myself and i know others are as well. Can't please you all, that's an impossible task :)

Just my thoughts on this :)

• Like 4

Great insight, Daniel, thanks very much for sharing it. I personally love seeing the nuts-and-bolts version of how the music is made.

Not to take away from the importance of what Trinodia took the time to write, but more to perhaps go hand-and-hand with his words, I've had this for just over a week but did not want to share it while the debate was raging lest it get drowned out.

Drezz sent this over but my review was already completed so I could not fit it in. Still, it's cool insight, albeit brief, that I felt should not be left out of the archive of this release.

Drezz/Nervasystem: "I became involved (with Prana - Remixes 2015) due to my long time association with Matsuri and Tsuyoshi. I released many tracks on Matsuri in the 90s and worked with Tsuyoshi on the Antimatter project. We have chatted over the years and he asked me to do a remix for the album. My favorite Prana experiences were probably the early gigs and sets in London, late 90s, Return to the Source and Zencentricity, and when i went to Australia for a year in 99 and hung out and lived close to Nick Taylor who'd moved down there a few years before. Good times, much more to tell, but probably not legal, and best left for another day."

I miss the time on Psynews when you could browse the reviews and read 4 pages of AWESOME STUFF 111/10 or Biggest crap 1/10 :D without having to justify yourself forever and without label and artists themselves getting involved in it trying to justify they did a good job. I know it sounds silly these kind of reviews but it sounded so genuine and fresh at the same time that it got me interested to check lots of Cds and even the "worst album ever this is not GOAAA" stuff :) maybe i am feeling nostalgia right now.

Anyway about this remixes release, I reckon it is decent but not great. I share the same disappointment about the choice of only 3 tracks, and Mugen was already released in the AP album. The tracks themselves sound Ok, I am happy Filteria didn't go over the top as he used to...his remix is pretty nice. Boundless is remixed too many times even though I do appreciate the Jagoa remix and also the last one which is more dancefloor oriented it seems, nice basslines in that one. A 6/10 for me.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I don't agree with that at all.

Dance music by it's very nature is made to be played loud.

You could say with Goa arguably it's less important than some less-melodic styles, but even so, there are dynamics in the bass frequencies that just aren't apparent until you reach a certain volume. Those wobbling waves of energy that push & pull you are what techno & trance are all about to my mind and they only make themselves known at high volumes. I'm fairly certain that tracks are engineered with the intention of sounding optimum on a big rig.

I like to listen with decent headphones too (and decent hi-fi speakers) to appreciate the subtle elements in music, but nothing beats the bass thumping you in the chest from a big system.

I buy hundreds of CDs for home listening, that are aimed at the dance floor! I can't get to that many parties due to various commitments, but still have to get a regular trance fix!

Anyway -

I'm more than happy with these remixes. I think they sound great and have much more punch than the originals. (I'm not saying they're better, but the modern production means they'll stand being dropped into new Goa or Psy sets pretty nicely.) I haven't played the CD enough to tell which are my favourites yet, but I'll let you know!

• Like 1

what a funny thread :)

my favourites are imba's and filteria's remixes of alien pets. maybe i'm a bit biased about the former from listening to the original, sending some midis and getting regular updates, but anyway, both are imho better than the original and i'd love to dance to them at a festival (maybe i'll get a chance at sun this year ;) ).

having the best track of astral's remix cd available with better mastering is also a plus, even though the main melody doesn't really stand out as much here.

remixes of old tracks aren't pointless at all imho. many old classics sound dated and flat now. and occasionally new artists can turn an average track (imho the originals of alien pets and mugen both fall into this category) into a gem.

@anoebis

i AM already complaining about the lack of morning trance ;)

What a passionate debate :blink:

When i first listened to this release, i was amazed that the old sound of Matsuri was alive again.

Now, after some time and with less enthusiasm, i still think that the Boundless remixes are pretty amazing.

More variety in tracklisting or not, the important is the sound and the creativity.

they didnt chose my prana remix :(

hehe...now it will be only in my comp..

Suntrip you should have made a pleiadians remix va

probably the hardest task for any artists

Now that sounds like a good idea, Pleiadians remixes! I heard the Morphic Resonance rmx of ALcyone, and woow, on the dacenfloor it is a stormer!

As for the cd, I listened more, and it is 7.5/10 for me! Good, not super, but much better as much other music these days...

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm not seeing a problem here. Perhaps there could be reason to b*tch with just two tracks being remixed.

If they sounded the same. But they don't. It's like brand new goa trance from the label that has been holding it down now for more than two presidential elections. The best for me were the Nervasystem, Jagoa, Filteria, and Trinodia remixes, but they were all great. The two tracks are classics and the idea is not to repeat a classic sound (which they didn't), but to put your own signature on it (which they did). Throw in the shiny AP remix of Mugen (which has grown on me) and you've got another kick-ass hour of goa.

I'm not a big believer of relying on the files to recreate magic from the past. If you don't have them then the creative juices should be flowing and that can lead you in all sorts of different directions.

• Like 1