1. Boundless (Nervasystem Remix)

2. Boundless (Skizologic Remix)

3. Boundless (Jagoa Remix)

4. Alien Pets (Imba Remix)

5. Alien Pets (Filteria Remix)

6. Alien Pets (Trinodia Remix)

7. Mugen (Astral Projection Remix)

8. Boundless (Funkygong Remix)

"(My favorite personal memory of Prana) It's either hearing 'Alien Pets' or 'Kiba' for the first time in '96. That or a recent memory of a party in Switzerland, snow n' cottage, in the mountains. Me and Tsuyoshi went with a lift up to 2200 meters and then a snowmobile/scooter were waiting for us. We were sitting behind the snowmobile, cargo, going crazy fast while it was a minor snowstorm. Was so much fun." - Filteria

Filteria and Tsuyoshi Suzuki, one-third of legendary 90s goa group Prana, gripping with glee to a snowmobile going "crazy fast" through a gorgeous snowstorm is just about the perfect description for one of the "Alien Pets" remixes on this release.

As mentioned by Mustafa above, Filteria kills it on his "Alien Pets" remix because of how not insane it is. It is, though, just the right level of awesome insanity, the kind of thrilling snowmobile ride you walk away from, a bit of a break from the usual Filteria overload where instead of overwhelming the tempos and levels are just right all building to a ridiculous climax mid-track. From there the layers are rich and textured and those mystical vocal chants are completely enthralling. The levels of richness in this one are just mind-blowing.

Most of the remixes available here - a collaboration between Tsuyoshi Suzuki's Matsuri Digital label and goa giant Suntrip Records - are previously available elsewhere, mostly from Prana Remix Vol. 1 & 3 through Matsuri. However, presumably, this partnering enables these tracks to experience a better distribution and the ability to reach a wider audience.

This is the next best thing to actually remastering that old Prana material. For instance, it would be nice to have "Voyager III" in good digital quality and perhaps some of these artists would enjoy it as well. When asked both Imba and Trinodia pointed to that track from the classic Dragonfly Records Order Odonata compilation as their favorite Prana memories.

"Having never seen them live I have to resort to the first track that I heard of Prana that has stayed with me from that day - 'Voyager III,'" Trinodia said.

Trinodia's hot-and-heavy remix of "Alien Pets" is big, broad and pure melodic muscle, being the middle gem that follows Filteria's mastery and leading into the crowning jewel of the collection on Astral Projection's instant-classic remix of "Mugen." It may take a couple of goa legends like the AP fellas to truly do justice to their contemporaries and maybe that's why this is the best one here.

The difference with this version of "Mugen" and the version appearing last year on Astral Projection's Goa Classics Remixed album are pretty minimal. No noticeable musical changes outside of better compression of the sound and approximately 10 seconds in length. It sounds like the exact same track and I wonder, though I have not heard the version yet, how much difference exists between the "2015 Remix" here and the original AP "Mugen" remix that appeared on 2013's Prana Remix Volume 1.

Regardless, an absolute trifecta of excellence built by these three remixes.

To complete the "Alien Pets" remixes is one of the exclusive tracks of the collection. Imba rocks out on his remix and, as with most of his productions, has a delicious bounce to his offering, a steady stream of groove, energy and full-on goa intensity.

"My favorite memory is about 15 years ago when Tsuyoshi was coming to play in Israel, all the people were preparing themselves for war. When I heard this stuff the first time I was in shock and I thought 'fuck this is absolutely brilliant.' In 2009 we did a party in Israel named 'Samsara Gathering' with a Prana retro set after many years that Tsuyoshi wasn't here playing old school! From then to now I think Prana is one of my favorite projects and infected me a lot. I was very lucky to get the chance to remix this legendary track. Also Tsuyoshi, I love him so for me its like closing a circle" - Skizologic

Skizologic's take on "Boundless" is pretty well structured, despite its name, a fascinating, stripped-down and more minimal version, certainly full of grooving goa but also a nice amount of almost techno-like grooves that gives it a whole lot of great funk. It's matched by the good vibes and creative vision of Tsuyoshi's "Funkygong" remix.

The straight-to-the-limbs grooves in Nervasystem's brilliant remix, and lead-off track to this collection, is matched by the producer's ridiculously good mind-candy that feels supremely trippy and experimental, working some fascinating effects before dropping back into the finger-snapping beats, leading the listener on a deliriously satisfying journey.

The other exclusive track to Prana Remixes 2015 comes from Jagoa, fresh off his Solar Journey down tempo album earlier this year. However, there is nothing chill about his truly "Boundless" remix - it's a swirling acidic floor stormer.

Perhaps by compiling the best of these Prana remixes in one place, combining them from three separate EPs from Matsuri, where old-school 90s goa meets new millennium new-school goa in one wild, acidic and unbridled release, it is very much as Skizologic stated, "It's like closing a circle.".

It's a little bit of history. It's a bit of a new-school celebration. It is a little bit of everything great about goa, all in one well-shaped circle of sound.

• Like 2

umm well sorry to disrupt the positive vibe here but personally I find this SUCKS!! First of all, the concept of having THREE remixes of the same tracks... twice. Maaan, I know newschool producers are lacking creativity but this one really takes the cake! Now ok, if there was like an uptempo mix, a chill-out mix and say something more creative like a breakbeat mix then ok why not, but having 3 almost-identical remixes that can't even hold a candle to the original... what's the freakin' point? What's next? Releasing a double-CD with 20 remixes of the same track that sound almost identical? Come oooon...

I won't go on to say which tracks I prefer because I don't really enjoy any of them. Whereas I at least found some moments of enjoyment from the Goa Classics remixes by Astral, this time around I actually had to FORCE myself to listen to the whole album. It's just more of the same "hey, let's all throw some random oriental-scale arpeggios on top of a fast kick and call it newschool" syndrome that seems to have infected the scene for years now. IMO, original goatrance was a about a lot more than just that.

Well, ok, I liked the remix of Mugen but that one was on Astral's album so it isn't really new. 1/10 from me...

• Like 2

When I saw the track list it blew my mind that a release could be so lazy. Then I'd hoped for some amazing remixes such as some downtempo or broken beat as described by Lemmiwinks but nope just really basic nu Goa style that left me wondering how low can a label go? Suntrip had gotten quiet (sadly) generic in sound and this just proves it 100%. Nothing original or inspiring here.'Movemalong folks, really night in to see.'get the new NeoGoa releases, they're much more awe inspiring.

umm well sorry to disrupt the positive vibe here but personally I find this SUCKS!! First of all, the concept of having THREE remixes of the same tracks... twice. Maaan, I know newschool producers are lacking creativity but this one really takes the cake! Now ok, if there was like an uptempo mix, a chill-out mix and say something more creative like a breakbeat mix then ok why not, but having 3 almost-identical remixes that can't even hold a candle to the original... what's the freakin' point? What's next? Releasing a double-CD with 20 remixes of the same track that sound almost identical? Come oooon...

I won't go on to say which tracks I prefer because I don't really enjoy any of them. Whereas I at least found some moments of enjoyment from the Goa Classics remixes by Astral, this time around I actually had to FORCE myself to listen to the whole album. It's just more of the same "hey, let's all throw some random oriental-scale arpeggios on top of a fast kick and call it newschool" syndrome that seems to have infected the scene for years now. IMO, original goatrance was a about a lot more than just that.

Well, ok, I liked the remix of Mugen but that one was on Astral's album so it isn't really new. 1/10 from me...

sums up pretty much what i think

i was not even impressed by mugen even though i have to say its better than the original but still its a bit boring (dont like the original much)

here the nervasystem remix is nice actually and maybe because it opens the cd - but then i agree why chose only 3 tracks when prana released a lot of them

how about - kollage - scarab - indigo - primal orbit - the earth

kollage remixed by nervasystem could be interesting

sums up pretty much what i think

i was not even impressed by mugen even though i have to say its better than the original but still its a bit boring (dont like the original much)

here the nervasystem remix is nice actually and maybe because it opens the cd - but then i agree why chose only 3 tracks when prana released a lot of them?

how about - kollage - scarab - indigo - primal orbit - the earth

Because is not that easy to rework original midis just like that. In my case Padmapani and Trinodia reworked and sent, without their help i wouldn't do even this one. Also it's artist choice which one to remix and what is his favorite. Personaly i would like to remix Primal Orbit and Voyager 3 too... but no files!

And probably other remixes are not good enough? I didn't hear all that are done but Tsuyoshi selected what was best by his opinion :)

Biggest problem for us who want to remix is that music is old, most projects are gone so they can't provide us original files and most of us don't have that knowledge to rework them and without files you can't remix :(

People complain why there are no remixes, when they get remixes same story... people will always complain. Same for Goa generaly... where are new releases, goa is deaaaaaad... new release is out, blah this is shit, it's not like 90s :mellow:

Biggest problem for us who want to remix is that music is old, most projects are gone so they can't provide us original files and most of us don't have that knowledge to rework them and without files you can't remix

i never knew it should be that hard - i mean when you listen to filteria snuggling snail it is actually a remix of the zirrex track x-indiane but without the original files - zirrex track here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIDVtEm9Js

anyway i think nobody minds remixes but as stated above 3 times the same track and twice is a strange choice

Ah well, everybody can have his own opinion of course... But for us, working with Tsuyoshi was a big chance we couldn't let go. As you know this is mostly a best-of Matsuri Digital releases printed on CD. If you don't like remixes, don't mind of course...
For me, the remixes capture perfectly the vibe of the old track, combined with the remixer his style. So I like it, and I tried, on a dancefloor they work like crazy as well... I even think they are REALLY different from eachother... Nervasystem a slow, deep grover like old matsuri, Boundless more modern, Jagoa acid-version, Imba more trancy, Filteria is Filteria and the Astral Remix is simply recorded with a LOT more dynamics as the original...

So, why mostly the same track? It were the only tracks of which they had the original files... simple as that. Tsuyoshi doesn't have any other original files left.

As for the generic goa thing... I talked with many goa labels, and all (Flying Rhino, Dragonfly, Matsuri,...) were crushed under this. Some people were complaining after 5 years, they only release "typical goa", they changed their style, even more people were complaining and they all went bankrupt because of that. The bigger you are, the more hatred and comments you will get, but also, the more lovers. You will never satisfie everyone... And for me its pretty simple, if you dont like a release, skip :P

We have enough total different stuff in the pipeline anyway... The future is much more various as before from our side at least! It was about time also, we never had good promo's in certain styles...
- a new compilation
- The Night Hex Ep (E-Mantra goes a little slower & darker)
- Morphic Resonance album (pure acidic madness)
- the EP from the "experimental thread" here on psynews, which is REALLY twisted stuff
- and Mindsphere, Crossing Mind, Imba & Ethereal are finalising a new album as well!

But first, within a few days... the NEW ASIA 2001 - Psykadelia version! :)

• Like 1

Because is not that easy to rework original midis just like that. In my case Padmapani and Trinodia reworked and sent, without their help i wouldn't do even this one.

Biggest problem for us who want to remix is that music is old, most projects are gone so they can't provide us original files and most of us don't have that knowledge to rework them and without files you can't remix

I guess that's the answer to the question why Imba always appears as "vs" on releases and never solo :-)

As for remixes, I liked Trinodia's remix, he definitely imprinted his own style into the track, so the final outcome is interesting to listen, especially if you're familiar with Trinodia's previous releases.

• Like 1

People complain why there are no remixes, when they get remixes same story... people will always complain. Same for Goa generaly... where are new releases, goa is deaaaaaad... new release is out, blah this is shit, it's not like 90s :mellow:

I think you're overreacting here. I don't think that people are complaining about the lack of remixes, more about the general way where modern Goa trance music is going (and I can agree on certain part with that).

I don't think that people are complaining about the lack of remixes, more about the general way where modern Goa trance music is going (and I can agree on certain part with that).

Maybe the next project of this sort, since so much of the original source material is not available to remix, should be a remake album. Most of the Prana discography, for instance, could very much use a remaster but since that is not possible logically this would be the next best thing.

As far as this release goes, I'm surprised at the lack of response to Filteria's remix - the layers in that one are awesome!

I'm disappointed in this release as well. I couldn't even listen through it because it was so painfully lifeless. Who thought using the same exact midi files was a good idea in the first place...

I think you're overreacting here. I don't think that people are complaining about the lack of remixes, more about the general way where modern Goa trance music is going (and I can agree on certain part with that).

I do not agree at all... There is a lot of different stuff being made right now... Finally... Some will be very surprised what kind of music will be released in Suntrip the next 7months... I'm even sure this will be the next wave (and in 2-3 years people will complain where the morning trance is) :) Diversity is the key...!

Except of that, people in the goa-scene complain like hell... :P Never anything is good... :) If Filteria is out it does not sound like Ra, and when Ra is out it does not sound as Filteria... :P but that's another topic of course

• Like 1

Releasing a double-CD with 20 remixes of the same track that sound almost identical? Come oooon...

"hey, let's all throw some random oriental-scale arpeggios on top of a fast kick and call it newschool"

People who says this, the first think is "there are listen to this Cd only one time". :P

In some cases I agree, but not here. And not on "Sky Input", "Heliopolis" and also not on the album from Celestial Intelligence.

I read often "Sky Input" and "Heliopolis" has random apreggios. But I hear on this so many unique melodies. But maybe it is a matter of perception?

also here:

i mean when you listen to filteria snuggling snail it is actually a remix of the zirrex track x-indiane ...

Its interessting. I listen to both now. And yes they are have the same key and the beginning of the Snail reminds you a little little little bit of x-indiane, but only you listen carefully and have the mainmelody of x-indiane in mind. In conculsion it is not a remix. :P But Iam very thankfully for this information. There must work very well in a dj-set. I will check it. :)

I do not agree at all... There is a lot of different stuff being made right now... Finally... Some will be very surprised what kind of music will be released in Suntrip the next 7months... I'm even sure this will be the next wave (and in 2-3 years people will complain where the morning trance is) :) Diversity is the key...!

Except of that, people in the goa-scene complain like hell... :P Never anything is good... :) If Filteria is out it does not sound like Ra, and when Ra is out it does not sound as Filteria... :P but that's another topic of course

You got your opinion, but I still think that nowdays Goa trance music can and should do better, but hey, that's my own view and opinion that I'm trying to push with Neogoa, same as diversity which has been an important factor through the years of our label work, of high importance just like discovering and releasing new talents.

Actually I don't have anything against people who are complaining, they got their right to express opinion, but for me it only means that they don't have time or maybe they're just lazy to follow/explore/discover less-know artists and their work.

Speaking about the next wave, I spoke about it with Goatrance.hu in the interview ('I’m sure that in the next decade of Goa trance music, less melodic and more experimental Goa music will get more recognition.''). I also believe that melodic goa trance is having it's peak at the moment and within few years more and more darker/experimental and acidic music will be released and promoted than it is now, even we at Neogoa already started with thoose kind of releases ;)

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, the sky IS the limit, things can always be better... but goa-trance is finally re-recognised as a subgenre within the psychedelic movement after 10-15 years struggling. On every festival you WILL hear some goa... So I think goa is actually doing very good... :) of course, it is not 90s goa, of course some people prefer the more acidic stuff (which is coming too now), of course some music is highly predictable, but that was the case in 94, 96, 98 and 2000 as well... That's what I was trying to say... :)

Don't get me wrong, the sky IS the limit, things can always be better... but goa-trance is finally re-recognised as a subgenre within the psychedelic movement after 10-15 years struggling. On every festival you WILL hear some goa... So I think goa is actually doing very good... :) of course, it is not 90s goa, of course some people prefer the more acidic stuff (which is coming too now), of course some music is highly predictable, but that was the case in 94, 96, 98 and 2000 as well... That's what I was trying to say... :)

No worries, I see your point :)

Well you know that I don't like to involve myself into everlasting debate which is better old versus new Goa, since I enjoy to listen both no matter from which year and by whom it's made, one of the reasons why new Goa should avoid the comparations with old Goa. Instead, let's build our own history and moments of brilliance. Being influenced by old-Goa is a great thing, making something new out of it is also a great thing, but if we want to hit the road of evolution within Goa trance music I seriously think that pushing into different directions and being influenced by different things is a healthy way for the future of Goa trance music.

Yes, it's also cool to see Goa trance artists playing at big/major/mainstream psytrance events, for sure it will promote them and new Goa, but let's be honest, today even 20 years after, more oldschool Goa trance artists/musicians are being booked at thoose big events and that is saying something about new Goa trance. Who knows, maybe in 20 years artists from this era will be more recognized than they are now.

• Like 2

more oldschool Goa trance artists/musicians are being booked at thoose big events and that is saying something about new Goa trance.

Or maybe that says something about the organizers as well. Big established names ("legends" if you will) are (quite sadly) more recognized by "the masses", even if there's a ton of new artists who'd musically outright kick the shit out of some old ones. And vice versa of course. There's gold and garbage on both sides of the timestream :)

• Like 4

Biggest problem for us who want to remix is that music is old, most projects are gone so they can't provide us original files and most of us don't have that knowledge to rework them and without files you can't remix :(

I disagree completely! :) You can be much more creative if you don't use the same midi or sample files, BPM or key. Otherwise it's more a cover than a remix/remake imo.

Artists can re-imagine a track through their vision if they have one they're passionate enough about. I've praised many remixes of course, but I've never been a big fan of the idea. I love original work. Granted some remixes are great; some even arguably top the regional. But to create something from the ground up I find very special, something that inspires, if even what it inspires is remixes. It's the idea of having a unique vision not presented before.

To each their own with this release. Not much here excites me, but not all is disappointaing. Trinodia's Remix of Alien Pets got my attention to some degree, followed by Jagoa's Remix of Boundless, and Filteria. I feel like Trinodia brought more to the table to compliment the original than some of the other artists, but that's my opinion. Having said that..

The ONLY song I REALLY like here is Prana - Mugan (Astral Projection 2014 Remix). This wonderful remix previously released on Astral Projection - Goa Classics Remixed (2014) ... beautiful album BTW with numerous great remixes. Mugan has heart, substance, and emotion which the other songs to me lack. Some of the other tracks might sound good on the dance floor, but I should be able to enjoy Goa music off the dance floor too, as I've enjoyed every Suntrip release. Suntrip's a strong label and they can do better. Having said that, some of us like this release and some don't. So check out the full song samples on YouTube and decide for yourself.

Speaking of 2015 releases, I am really impressed with Lunar Dawn - Kolovrat released by Ektoplazm. Now THAT showcases some amazing work. Also Suntrip just re-released Asia 2001 - Psykadelia that is :wub:

People who says this, the first think is "there are listen to this Cd only one time". :P

In some cases I agree, but not here. And not on "Sky Input", "Heliopolis" and also not on the album from Celestial Intelligence.

I read often "Sky Input" and "Heliopolis" has random apreggios. But I hear on this so many unique melodies. But maybe it is a matter of perception?

also here:

Its interessting. I listen to both now. And yes they are have the same key and the beginning of the Snail reminds you a little little little bit of x-indiane, but only you listen carefully and have the mainmelody of x-indiane in mind. In conculsion it is not a remix. :P But Iam very thankfully for this information. There must work very well in a dj-set. I will check it. :)

Hmm ok, indeed I gave it a few more listens since my review since it felt a bit wrong to diss such a legend so quickly. I have also gone back through the original Prana material to have a better point of comparison (I admit it has been a while since I haven't given the originals a spin). Well, no, I stand by my initial decision, the remixes are IMO but a pale comparison to the orignals, plus the originals themselves aren't really Prana's best efforts to begin with. I've read the "but these are the only 2 original MIDI files they still had" argument and was pretty annoyed by it. I mean, basically the artists admit that they don't have a necessary skills to do a proper remix??? WTF? This isn't a bunch of kids playing in their basements with FL Studio, these are established newschool artists we're talking about, to be honest I find the thought a bit scary.

Moreso, I've done some diggin through my collection and pulled out some VERY interesting remixes by Prana themselves and realized just how crap these new remixes sound in comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f26QER5EVP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsM4l0zFV7g

so there, proof that it CAN be possible to have proper remixes of Prana classics which completely change the initial mood of the track...

So sorry but my 1/10 rating stands...

• Like 1

Lemmiwinks, you don't like this one, I'm completely cool with your rationale. 1/10 though is pretty harsh. A) this isn't the first time we've seen a remix project of this sort (TimeWarp & Omnivox just released a similar EP a couple weeks ago) but it's sort of doomed to public opinion unless one of the artists remixes a personal favorite and as we can see from this thread, no one seems to agree on just one track being the best of Prana. B) Even if they are the same tracks done three times, each artist brings their own flavor and those flavors have their strong points. Anyway, the point is, for future reference, this would be a 1/10 ;) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3eXSaXwkrY

Lemmiwinks, you don't like this one, I'm completely cool with your rationale. 1/10 though is pretty harsh. A) this isn't the first time we've seen a remix project of this sort (TimeWarp & Omnivox just released a similar EP a couple weeks ago) but it's sort of doomed to public opinion unless one of the artists remixes a personal favorite and as we can see from this thread, no one seems to agree on just one track being the best of Prana. B) Even if they are the same tracks done three times, each artist brings their own flavor and those flavors have their strong points. Anyway, the point is, for future reference, this would be a 1/10 ;) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3eXSaXwkrY

that's my point, if there were 3 different remixes with 3 completely different moods like how Etnica did dub versions of their tracks a while ago, or, say a dark trance version, or why not even something really crazy like a TRAP remix then yeah I wouldn't mind having 10 different versions of one track, the problem here is that it is just more and more generic newschool with too little to set the different tracks a part.

PS I kindof like that remix you posted ;)