3. Trilingo - Kalix

4. Flembaz - Lubrsune

5. Alic - The Host

6. Troy Polygon - Der Rote Stier

7. Myda - Offtopic

8. Daana - Nice To Meet You

9. Alic - What Is (Ben Rama Remix)

10. Simmetune - Endless Moments

The roots of techno netlabel Digital Diamonds go pretty deep into the psytrance community. Early on in their existence the label released a tech-trance EP from the great Nuclear Ramjet project as well as releasing some tracks from the likes of Excizen (the techno project of progressive act ManMachine) and psychedelic techno heavy hitter Opsy. And even while I have enjoyed these releases over the years it is because of how deep their roots go into the Toronto psytrance community, in particular, that has kept their releases a bit on the personal side.

My hometown may be in New York but no question my psychedelic heart beats for my home-away-from-home, in that metropolis of Ontario, where several lifelong friendships have been struck. And several of the familiar faces and first-name basis acquaintances made over the last decade in that community have in turn graced several D.D. releases.

Keeping with that tradition two Toronto based producers grace the 5th edition of the tech-heavy "Digital Family" series. Making his production debut, progressive psy DJ Mythrophan teams with Daana on the groovy, slow-burning "Offtopic," the lone psychedelic track in this compilation.

Torontonian Daana in turn goes solo on the pretty techno chimes of "Nice To Meet You," offering up a slice of beauty matched by other D.D. alumni such as Simmetune and Trilingo.

The always-great Point takes a different direction from his normal warm, captivating techno and tech-house to offer up an opener that is slightly cinematic and patiently rewarding. File this one under down tempo and give it a few listens as it just grows richer over time.

Label boss Alic offers up the best work on this edition with some acidic, raw, old-school grooves on the excellent "The Host." In turn, Canadian Ben Rama remixes Alic's "What Is" and comes away convincingly with second prize.

Flembaz offers up his usual blend of funky and flamboyant techno for another winner.

Digital Family Vol. 5 is a bit of a departure from the other volumes in this series, not too many chances are taken in this one, not much in the way of experimentation. Instead, much of this compilation is patiently rewarding, slowly unfolding, grooving mid-afternoon style techno.

And, as per usual, it is available for free play or download at Ektoplazm, an entity with pretty deep Toronto roots of its own.

Digital Diamonds Netlabel

Very very good however i has nothing to do with trance surprised you reviewed this here : ) anyway its brilliant as you said

I must say this is the only release i listened from Digital diamonds - i randomly bumped into the thread here and i downloaded it

yesterday i downloaded 10 other releases on their website

The Daana track is brilliant indeed

The whole thing is groovy techno which i really like

Techno can be such a solid style - makes me wonder why i quit listening to techno for years

thanks a lot Digital diamonds for the free download

• Like 1

Very very good however i has nothing to do with trance surprised you reviewed this here : ) anyway its brilliant as you said

I must say this is the only release i listened from Digital diamonds - i randomly bumped into the thread here and i downloaded it

yesterday i downloaded 10 other releases on their website

The Daana track is brilliant indeed

The whole thing is groovy techno which i really like

Alic is a member of Psynews and has been for a few years so maybe that's reason enough to post a review of the compilation :)

If you have not gotten them already, might I recommend:

Deto & Gleam - Archives

Point - Deepending

Point - Waveform

Alic - Close Distance

Daana - Little Animals

Cheers!

thanks Bill

here is what i downloaded yesterday - random i must say

176542Sanstitre.jpg

ill make sure i check everything else you mentioned

i only listened to the nuclear ramjet ep yet - didnt like it much but looking forward listening to the rest especially the VA

• 6 months later...