Anyone good at making acapellas?

Hi. Anyone here knows how to make acapella fast and easy? I've got a track, old kids song, tried to make an acapella version but can't say to have reached results good enough. Looking forward if anybody can be of assistance.

Well, assuming that said vocals are dead center in the mix, do some Mid/Side processing where you only keep the Mid component and then filter/EQ as needed? Perhaps there are dedicated tools for this (most probably there are).

Depends of course on the song how well this works.

I almost do that for a living...

Unfortunately, the problem in general is a difficult one and far from being solved. If you ever hear someone claiming a "quick and simple solution", most likely at least one of the following applies:

1) They make strong assumptions on the input, such as strong mid/side separation.

2) The actual result is...less than perfect.

3) They're just lying through their teeth to make a sale.

Even the cheapest playback systems may have a simple mid-filter, which sometimes works but obviously will fail miserably in many cases. Then there are slightly better attempts, which are used by some guys to make stuff like bootleg acapella discs and mixes. Often the standalone output sounds more like someone torturing a cat, but it's not so obvious after blending it into new music. Then there are professionals like Audionamix who work with major labels and Hollywood companies, but their products/services won't be free.

So, it's a classic case of picking between fast, easy, cheap and good. If one could get those all for nontrivial signals, I'd be looking for a new job or at least a new topic...