Dutch psytrance...?

Oopie

Hi everyone.

Let me start by honestly admitting the fact I'm not the best with nationalities of the producers so maybe there's a bunch of great Dutch producers, even ones I like, but just didn't know their origin simple as that.

I've been wondering how come Holland is not a big place psytrance wise - I can only think a few people who did goa in the 90s, for example. They've got massive electronic scene that's common knowledge, but what I gather, and excuse my snobbiness, most dominant styles are these rave-y, dentist-appointment-at-the-club forms of music such as hardstyle/gabber/whatnot.

How's the scene in Holland if there's any Dutch people reading this? I'm wondering Belgium being such a big country for goa trance, how come sun doesn't shine over the fence... (or does it?)

They've got massive electronic scene that's common knowledge, but what I gather, and excuse my snobbiness, most dominant styles are these rave-y, dentist-appointment-at-the-club forms of music such as hardstyle/gabber/whatnot.

Hey, they have Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Marco V, Sander Kleinenberg AND Tiësto! :P

Zen Mechanics and Liftshift are the only ones I can think of flying the Dutch flag in modern psy.

I went to Psy-Fi last year, their first full-size multi-day psytrance festival. The Dutch people I met seem to party abroad or be part of much much smaller parties in the north (near Gronigen?). Those who were in to Goa understandably said they go to Belgium to party. Finding big pieces of land to blast big sound systems on, far away from people, seemed to be an issue in Holland according to those I spoke to?

The Dutch have such strong representation in club trance and hard dance variants that it's both odd and understandable that their representation in psy is low.

(FWIW Psy-Fi was a cool party but there was a lack of depth in the lineup. They seem to have done the same this year. So many big names, which is fair enough to sell tickets and deliver some quality, but the music itself could use more variety over 6 days. Too much out-of-the-box full-on and prog. (Liquid Sould closing after U-Recken's perfect 2hr thoughtful, psychedelic journey was such a downer.)

Zen Mechanics and Liftshift are the only ones I can think of flying the Dutch flag in modern psy.

I went to Psy-Fi last year, their first full-size multi-day psytrance festival. The Dutch people I met seem to party abroad or be part of much much smaller parties in the north (near Gronigen?). Those who were in to Goa understandably said they go to Belgium to party. Finding big pieces of land to blast big sound systems on, far away from people, seemed to be an issue in Holland according to those I spoke to?

The Dutch have such strong representation in club trance and hard dance variants that it's both odd and understandable that their representation in psy is low.

(FWIW Psy-Fi was a cool party but there was a lack of depth in the lineup. They seem to have done the same this year. So many big names, which is fair enough to sell tickets and deliver some quality, but the music itself could use more variety over 6 days. Too much out-of-the-box full-on and prog. (Liquid Sould closing after U-Recken's perfect 2hr thoughtful, psychedelic journey was such a downer.)

Thanks that's a relevant answer and opens the mystery a bit. It's true when you don't have a proper scene in the first place, no small gatherings etc, it raises the bar to start producing,

Germinating Seeds Of Doda, Blacklight, Metal Spark/Siblant, Cwithe/Acidlab, Synchro, Cosmoon, and GMS were the "Amsterdam sound", from what I remember; loosely defined as a funkier and more organic take on Goa trance. I really liked it at the time and wish it had picked up a little more momentum than it did.

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph is from austria but released on Boom Records...

I liked Cosmoon back in the days, more powerful acid style :)

i guess we would have seen them play more often if that was the case. i don't know for sure, but discogs tells me he's from switzerland.