"V/A - The World Beyond"

Trance2MoveU

Ss9tsUH.jpg

Artist: Various

Title: The World Beyond

Label: Neogoa

Date: March, 20 2015

01 - Chapter I: The Vision (Passing The Monolith Into The Throat Of Time) (120 BPM)
02 - Chapter II: The Journey (Across The Silver Sea Of Eternal Life) (100 BPM)
03 - Chapter III: The Gate (Facing The Keeper Below The Human-Form Mountain) (136 BPM)
04 - Chapter IV: The Sphere (Ascending Towards Star-Eaters To Become The One) (146 BPM)
KmPhelu.gif
"Hear ye hear ye! By decree of the order of goa trance purists we decree that the final two tracks on this compilation performed by heretofore unknown artisans are perfect in every aspect that can be measured by our mortal systems of worth. Furthermore it shall be exalted to the highest plane, be it physical, mental, or spiritual and will forever be the standard by which all further attempts at goa awesomeness shall be judged!"
Bravo Neogoa. Bravo. You've really done it this time. As a netlabel you've been dedicated to keeping the spirit and vibe of goa trance alive; constantly and consistently pushing the music to shatter boundaries and preconceived notions of what it can be. Accompanied by stunning artwork the music is always freely given and with this release a new standard has been set. Though only 4 tracks the journey is a full albums length, beginning slowly before shattering expectations in a nuclear crescendo of goa trance wizardry. This is a concept release made by eight artists all of whom have previously appeared on releases from the label. Embedded within the artwork one will find hints of connection to previous Neogoa releases, particularly the Dimensional Gateway series and Celestial Transvibrations. We often talk in terms of releases not breaking any new ground, but this one does.
Chapter I: The Vision (Passing The Monolith Into The Throat Of Time)
uct8fiq.gif

I realize that every journey begins somewhere and to get to the World Beyond, this is the first step. But to me this is 17 (yep 17) minutes of stumbling around in an attic like the ghosts in Scooby Doo. Dark ambient when done well captures a feeling and propels the listener where the artist wants he or she to go. This sounds like a collection of noises that I skip every time. Perhaps it will appeal to some and that's good. No big deal, I don't get opera either and people love that sh*t.

Chapter II: The Journey (Across The Silver Sea Of Eternal Life) is the bridge between the opening track and the outright earthquake that is to come. Like the others it's dark ambient opening sets the tone before it glides into a mid-tempo march. Goa sounds and effects ricochet off the walls as it prepares you for the oncoming train. It's mellow yet entrancing in it's own right and then changes tempo and adds a tribal aspect to its arsenal. Not devastating like the next two, but it's not supposed to be. The journey and understanding...take time.
Chapter III: The Gate (Facing The Keeper Below The Human-Form Mountain) is the precursor to the blistering final chapter, but is a stomper in its own right. It also allows the dark tension to build before bouncing into another old school feel. The bounce on this one is infectious instantly morphing the worst dancers into a rhythmic Shiva where colors flow from magical fingertips in an elaborate tapestry of mystical dance. The vocal tacet seals the deal and I've just punched my ticket to Nirvana. Excuse me whilst I get down.
gRybr2S.gif

Chapter IV: The Sphere (Ascending Towards Star-Eaters To Become The One). This track is an acidic napalm blast peering through darkness at the outset. Growling 303's are readily apparent and it sends electrical shivers through the atmosphere. 23 minutes of hurtling through the cosmos, top down system up! A perfect blend of old school rawness with modern sound and production. I believe all the old masters who delivered subpar post goa releases (looking right at you MFG and Pleiadians) should listen to this and learn how beautiful and raw goa trance can be today. A third of the way through and I already think this is one of the greatest goa tracks ever produced. The intensity is maintained as is the atmosphere and I realize I am in the presence of greatness. The break is palpable, a thing alive. Perfect. Sublime. Ruthless. Mystical. You heard Homer.

LtLOklE.gif
I'll be honest with you. I don't have the patience to figure out the riddle. I've got kids and I had to take one of them to the emergency room on Friday. So I'll leave the mystery solving to Scoob, Shags, and you guys. But whomever was responsible for the energy, the journey, take a bow. The final two tracks for me are the most potent one-two punch I've experienced in recent memory. Ivan you once again have guided the music to a world beyond, with awesome sound, breathtaking presentation, and reassurance that just when you think you've gone as far as you can go the horizon is within reach.
Mdk
  • Like 7

va-the-world-beyond.jpg

VA - The World Beyond

Neogoa

Tracklist:

1. Chapter I: The Vision (Passing The Monolith Into The Throat Of Time)

2. Chapter II: The Journey (Across The Sea Of Eternal Life)

3. Chapter III: The Gate (Facing The Keeper Below The Human-Form Mountain)

4. Chapter IV: The Sphere (Ascending Towards Star-Eaters To Become The One)

Just as any great concept album should be, The World Beyond is heady, mysterious, complex and fucking epic!

Like MDK above, I did not spend much time trying to figure out the IDs of the eight producers involved. It would have been a detriment to this album's success to know who the guilty parties are, a distraction from the overall concept itself, an interference to the highly imaginative tale at hand.

Though Chapter I has its benefits, it also requires a lot of patience. I like the sparse, beautiful melody that is used through its 17-minute run time, it contrasts very nicely with the overall spookiness of the vibe but you should have a strong preference for ambient lest this becomes a chore to get through.

What I find most appealing about any odyssey is not the conclusion but the journey itself and here would be the ultimate example of that. In no uncertain terms, "Chapter II" is an absolute masterpiece where the ultra-smooth transitions from ambient to groovy down tempo to mild rocking goa make this essentially three tracks in one. The tasteful explosion for the final five minutes of the track is absolutely riveting and that wicked good title, "The Journey (Across The Silver Sea Of Eternal Life)" matches the music in scope and breadth. Nowhere else in the album does the concept of the story come alive so well as it does here.

Though "Chapter III" certainly comes close. An electrifying and melodic 15-minutes of soaring goa weaves the tale of "The Gate (Facing The Keeper Below The Human-Form Mountain)" where even if you do not know the specifics of the story itself enough of the outline is provided by that title where one's imagination can easily create the details.

"Chapter IV" is the appropriately bombastic conclusion, a fiery "Sphere" of breakneck rhythms and out-of-control twirling, swirling goa madness. Though, it just did not do it for me. It's too fast-paced, too overwhelming for my tastes. At a couple of points the rhythms fall off the tracks which I found to be jarring on top of already feeling jarred from the sheer insanity within. And, Jesus, it's almost 19-minutes long!

Overall, a spectacular achievement considering eight different producers took part in this highly experimental and risky endeavor. By that account alone any number of factors could have gone terribly wrong. That it did not and that the results are this tremendously good (yes, even that last track, it does fit the concept appropriately,) with the aural story so captivating, it is a testament to the organization and vision of Neogoa itself.

They have created a journey worth taking to "The World Beyond." And "The Journey" to "The Gate" should not be missed.

Available for free play or download at: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/the-world-beyond

• Like 4

Well, you can't do a 75 minute long crescendo starting out full blast :)

you are right but ambient music doesnt necessarily mean boring music

mixed feelings about this album

i like tracks 3 and 4 but tracks 1 and 2 - so half of the album - bore me

its free so get it you got nothing to lose - thanks for the free download

• Like 2

It's albums like this that make me love this community so much. I have not taken the time to figure out the artists yet, but I don't even want to at this point. I would prefer to think this thing was just sort of discovered one day and if it was created out of design, then I have nothing but the greatest appreciation for everyone who made it happen. That includes, the artists who created the tracks (probably with a preconceived idea in mind), Richpa who planted the seeds, Basilisk who had to make the exception for it on ektoplazm, and the listeners who cared and still do care. The World Beyond is a wonderful thing of beauty that I have a hard time describing. Thank you.

So uh yea, the review...

Go listen to it. Now.

• Like 5

Thank you so much for your reviews and general feedback for the World Beyond. I can't express how much they mean to artists and to our community. All these comments from Psynews, Ektoplazm and Facebook are giving us the fuel for our passion, a sort of positive impulse to push even harder and better, to continue our mission of goa trance liberation.

• Like 4

One of the highlights for 2015 for sure, but also one of the most unique and storytelling releases in the newschool era. Won't say anything more :-) Go listen!

I wonder which track you were involved with, good sir! With all the storytelling on Crossing The Rubicon it seems natural that you're involved with this.

• Like 4

I wonder which track you were involved with, good sir! With all the storytelling on Crossing The Rubicon it seems natural that you're involved with this.

:-) No spoilers!

• Like 2

What a journey! It's an unorthodox mix and therefore difficult to separate tracks (and the tracks within the tracks), but as a complete voyage it's a mind blast... especially as things start to heat up towards the end :)

If this is the direction that Neogoa is taking, I like it and want more more :D

• Like 3

Richpa and all artists involved, you have outdone yourself. This is absolutely brilliant. Love the concept, atmosphere and tracks. The two last are goa trance beasts!!

Even considering the length of the tracks these should definitely be played out in the open!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies, gentlemen, for I have been a bit long to deliver my views on this object.

I won't comment the two first songs, because I don't like Goa downtempo. I never did, I never will. Unless it sounds like chill-out, psybient, or has the beat of deep trance, which wasn't the case.

So, what about The Gate and The Sphere ?

The World Beyond was a release that I've been waiting for months. I was expecting a lot of it.

So, when I hear the Gate, I actually think in

THE GATE !!!!!!!!!!!

THE FUCKING GATE !!!!!!!!!!

6sM8W6I.jpg

7038024-Mary-Magdalene-Mary-Salom-walkin

THE FUCKING GATE !

tumblr_mk1o3kYodA1qg0cqeo1_400.gif

IS BLOWING MY MIND

The_Black_Gate%286%29.jpg

IS MELTING MY MIND

rha-movie.jpeg

hope__sci_fi_landscape__by_ashstraker-d6

IS THE BEGINNING AND THE END

THE ROOT OF EVERYTHING

evil-eye-hebrew-amulet-from-the-sefer-ra

Now, what about The Sphere ?

THE SPHERE !!!!!!!!!!

ALIEN CONTACT HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED

00006005044.jpg

morphic-resonance-chromatic-world-300x30

6a00d8341bf67c53ef0154366e87cb970c-800wi

I CAN SEE THE SPHERE !!!

tumblr_nb9eu3J2yb1t1bu4po1_1280.gif

QUANTUM ANOMALY

DECAY OF PHYSICS

200_s.gif

tumblr_myt2lz0oJA1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

pure electronic metal !!!

great great tracks !!!!!!!! :wub:

• Like 6

I'm really impressed that no one here on Psynews, or on Ektoplazm (heck, even on Facebook) don't want to spoil the fun for the new audience who might missed this release with revealing the artists/projects featured on TWB. It does make some sense since the essential point or idea was to present music, not names...

This Saturday at Timewarp vs Neogoa event I will be lucky to hear one of the tracks from the compilation on proper soundsystem and I can't wait to experience that. Thanks for all the reviews and keep them coming, your input and feedback will help us shape our next compilation project.

• Like 4

I'm a bit saddened to see that the 2 first tracks don't get much love around here. I'm hearing echoes from the great The Mystery Of The Yeti (both of them), Twelve, and the first Crystal Skulls, all (surprise!) concept works on TIP/TIP.World. Especially on The Journey that very nicely ties together The Vision and The Gate both in tempo and feeling :)

Like them or not, they're necessary, even if they're not SUPER KILLAARRGGHH as they don't even need to be.

That being said, whatever the case and I might be repeating myself here. The Sphere eats Pleiadians for breakfast. Seriously.

• Like 2

What I find most appealing about any odyssey is not the conclusion but the journey itself and here would be the ultimate example of that. In no uncertain terms, "Chapter II" is an absolute masterpiece where the ultra-smooth transitions from ambient to groovy down tempo to mild rocking goa make this essentially three tracks in one. The tasteful explosion for the final five minutes of the track is absolutely riveting and that wicked good title, "The Journey (Across The Silver Sea Of Eternal Life)" matches the music in scope and breadth. Nowhere else in the album does the concept of the story come alive so well as it does here.

Paul, agreed 100% about Track 2.