tutorials that actually teach you something?

hi there,

Have been taking stabs at music production every now and then for years now... the problem is that I always get to a point where I get the feeling that I've gone past the really basic stuff (what each feature does, how to make a basic kick and melody and so on), and after that there are loads of tutorials which basically just show you "tricks" like making a bassline feel heavier, etc. And then you have tons of "tutorials" that don't really teach you anything, amateur producers just put them on to show their skills but it becomes pretty obvious that they don't really care to actually show you how they do it.

And that's about the point where I stop short because I feel frustrated that I can't find anything more "intermediate-advanced" level like class 102 or 103 or something. Am I missing something here? Any recomendations?

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of ur fustration stems from the fact that once people get past the rootamentary stages of learning music production there is a lot of trial and error. Once you understand the fundimental concepts you need to extrpolate a greater understanding from the individual elements. Also once individuals begin to achieve worthy outcomes they tend to gravitate towards being more secrative with their creative processes and reliable techniques. My suggestion is to just keep at it and develop your own "voice" so to speak.

• Like 2

I think some of ur fustration stems from the fact that once people get past the rootamentary stages of learning music production there is a lot of trial and error. Once you understand the fundimental concepts you need to extrpolate a greater understanding from the individual elements. Also once individuals begin to achieve worthy outcomes they tend to gravitate towards being more secrative with their creative processes and reliable techniques. My suggestion is to just keep at it and develop your own "voice" so to speak.

I completely agree with this post - past the basics, unfortunately, besides keeping at it day after day while trying stuff out, I don't think there's more to it than doing just that.

Getting into the habit of "finishing" a track (by finishing I mean that even if you think it blows, is too repetitive, or last only 3 minutes, or is too basic, or whatever, call it complete), moving in, and starting a new one, actually puts in place a sense of "progress", so to speak. You may not see it right away going from track A to track B, but 6 months later when you're at track ZXW, and you compare it with good ole track A... Yeah, you'll be surprised !

I know it's not "technical" advice, but I found keeping this in mind helps a lot!

Yea completing tracks (even if they are complete garbage) really helps out. You learn what not to do (or at least how to do things better) and etc. It's something I should work on more. I've probably started well over a 100 ideas in the past year but only very few have I actually finished and even then majority of them aren't the best in my opinion. Just gotta work harder and harder.

• 1 month later...

Something that has really opened my eyes.

Start with the basics again but apply them as you learn (i.e make a song). For example, through my journey, I've figured out that music of all forms has some common elements, now I am going through the basics and trying to apply them, rather then watching the tutorials.

For me the elements of Music are:

1. Rhythm

2. Pitch

3. Harmony

4. Timbe

5. Texture

6. Structure

7. Mix

Now any tutorial I find (or search out) directly involves one of these categories and I can quickly delve in and apply it to my music.

Hope this makes sense.