Goa term used in prog releases

Ormion

This is something Imba posted on facebook and basilisk reposted and really grabbed my attention.

I knew about those various Yellow Sunshine Explosion compilations that had a couple of prog tracks, but apparently things are getting worse.

There hundreds of Goa compilations out there that none features actual Goa trance (or in most cases even psytrance of any kind). Why? Is Goa suddenly a bankable term? When did this started?

Some gems:

CS2420727-02A-BIG.jpg

CS2286591-02A-BIG.jpg

CS2407347-02A-BIG.jpg

CS1461944-02A-BIG.jpg

CS2683350-02A-BIG.jpg

CS2584070-02A-BIG.jpg

Holy crap they're so many!

Surprisingly I see some respectable artists in some of them. Anyone knows how exactly do they work?

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever seen less 'goa-ish' covers than this bunch. Looks like your every summer radio hits album (although 'erotic goa' sounds intriguing).

Female psytrance made by a dude. :lol:

Maybe it's like in UK garage - more vocals and melodies was 'for the ladies', harsh and more bass for the guys, so maybe it's not about the gender of the producer, but the gender of the music ;).

• Like 1

Even these are the lamest examples, I seriously think that Goa trance movement should move from the 'Goa' names in compilations and take a path of innovation and experimentation. This isn't a news to be honest, trademark of name 'Goa' has been used since overload of YSE compilations and it won't stop anytime soon, but for the sake of quality within psychedelic Goa trance movement (and I'm reffering to most of the stuff that has been voted as best of here on Psynews - quality music) I think label owners, artists, compilers should gravitate towards new ideas and concepts. I know it might sound a little bit too radical and it will probably cause a lot of commercial-wise damage (since we all know how much people like to check music when cover artwork got Goa written all over it), but it will build nice foundation for the even better and more colorful future. I'm really sick of all this re-cycling and using the old-school imagery, especially in the music that got nothing to do with Goa trance. I'm sure that back in the days during the early and mid '90s, artists and labels borrowed many ideas from hippie movement and all the imagery aswell, but let's be honest, there was also A LOT more innovative artworks, compilation names, interesting concepts. Thank God, Goa trance music nowdays really got a lot to offer and it would be shame to constrain it or in some crazy scenario compare it with horrible examples from the first post.

Sorry for slightly off topic here.

• Like 1

Goa does sell. PPL here in Australia associate the out door sound IMO more with progressive than the traditional styles.

As far as I'm away after Zenon had an issue with YSE, these compilations licence the tracks direct from smaller labels & therefore skip any input from the musician. Often this means I think the smaller label gets any royalties and nine is fed back to said musician.

it's the way it's always been. Musician last, middle man gets % then big label gets most or all profit.

The problem I'm finding is that you get 1-2 good/reasonable track and then 16-17 generic loads of sh!t. I'm kinda keen on the Goa Sessions series from YSE which seem to be artist related and may have some more quality control.

The Goa name should be dropped completely. Most younger folk I know just call it trance, even the melodic new Goa. Makes more sense to me.

Seems like they use the "Goa" term because of their misconception of it (and for the sake of money, of course).

And as I always said, these covers look like your usual latin music compilations. Pretty disgusting.

• 2 weeks later...

go back 13 years and you will see YSE releases doing this. but at least the progressive then was better than what "that stuff" is today ;p I've always too my stance to never buy from that label. Also, many of the tracks on their compilations are just re-releases elsewhere. They are the "Wow thats what I call music" of the psy scene haha! fa'get that!

and yes, those labels scarred my mind ;O I'm feeling motived to get my booty shakin, lady grinding action on at the next dancefloor I see ;p

Hasn't Yellow Sunshine Explosion been doing this isnce like the turn of the century?

Anywho it bothers me not at all as I'm going to get the Goa Sessions series from YSE in a few days. I get more gigs playing prog psy than playing actual psy or goa. And I have to say cuter girls dance in tight & short clothing which is mor fun as a dj to look at than dirty hippies.

To some it up this was what I mostly heard style wisein Goa in 2004, lots of minimal and prog stuff and as a local friend said "Goa is a place, not a music genre. Forget the past and embrace the sound of now". I took a lot of things that night after him saying that to me during our vs dj set and had a wonderful time.

I think Goa can be used to describe what is played at a destination. There are many cities that have a defined style of EDM attached to them but often having travelled there that style may be the majority, but it is not the only one. Let go and enjoy the sounds before you get to stifled in life.