Ovnimoon Records

Tracklist:

1. The Spirit

2. Emotional Biodecodification

3. Fear

4. You Can Do This

5. The Power

6. Tesoro Interior

7. Dual Resonance - Passing Clouds (Ovnimoon Remix)

8. Trance Dance

It always comes with a new release by a favorite artist. A whole bunch of excitement for something new and unheard, a little anxiety about the possibility of it being disappointing and altering your opinion about the artist.

But, then, this is Hector Ovnimoon we are talking about and there is that little voice in the back of my head telling me he'll probably exceed all my expectations.

I'm not sure if this is his masterpiece but there is definitely that possibility and only time can tell for sure. This is by all standards what Ovnimoon has set down for himself over the years, across several of his own great artist albums, across the several awesome albums of other artists and compilations he has released through his baby, Ovnimoon Records. This is an Ovnimoon album and it lives up to all the lofty standards associated with that name.

There are no artistic surprises in "Holistic," nothing groundbreaking, nothing that Hector Ovnimoon has not already created on other tracks. There is a whole lot of spiritually uplifting psytrance with deliciously thick progressive flavors and lovely goa traces set to a deliriously good full-on pace. This is exactly who Ovnimoon is as an artist and he should not be faulted for offering up nothing new with "Holistic." Quite simply, you can never have too much of a very great thing.

From the first moments of the ethereal vocals to the distant but oncoming rumbles of the bass to the addictive melodies on "Spirit," it is clear very quickly that this album will be something special. Certainly "Spirit" is one of the very best of this bunch but by no means does Ovnimoon use up his best ideas on the intro.

"Emotional Biodecodification" is the remarkable follow-up. What follows beyond the initial serenity is nothing short of a cleansing, a spiritual reset button that liberates with lovely organic instruments creating catchy melodies that linger long after the track is over and a rollicking psytrance structure that seeks out higher planes of existence and attains them.

Throughout "Holistic" rich, talky instructional speeches guiding one through various degrees of spiritual enrichment are provided with none of the moments ever becoming preachy or intrusive. The pleasing insight that loss of imagination is what causes "Fear" adds intelligence to a superb track.

"You Can Do This" and "Tesoro Interior" are both solid tracks and since neither offer up anything of great note perhaps the most that can be said about them is that they are excellent filler.

"The Power" changes the direction of "Holistic" from full-on bliss to lovely goa pastures for a few wonderful minutes.

Ovnimoon's remix of Dual Resonance is a bit too far on the progressive side for my tastes. Though, I suspect that a pair of headphones and a lie-down in the grass to watch "Passing Clouds" may unlock levels of beauty not available to passive listeners.

Nothing short of captivating occurs on "Trance Dance" where it seems the ongoing waves of awesome energy have to break at some point yet continues to build and build, constantly paying off stunning riches in sound. For an album as accomplished and near-perfect as "Holistic" it only makes sense that the conclusion should be so satisfying and comfortably intense.

On first listen, I was impressed. On second listen, I was convinced of its greatness. On the third listen, I was smitten and knew it had exceeded all of my expectations, just as that little voice in the back of my head suspected it might.

()

Ovnimoon is really good however, unfortunately he is also super formulaic and many of his songs sound the same... Its going to get old fast, in fact it already is for me, if he doesn't change things up.

• Like 1

Ovnimoon is really good however, unfortunately he is also super formulaic and many of his songs sound the same... Its going to get old fast, in fact it already is for me, if he doesn't change things up.

He is formulaic as far as having his own sound, yes, but there are not others that sound like he does. Still, I figured that might be a deal-breaker for some since the album does not progress past anything he has already done. But since he has mastered this style it is still an excellent piece of work. I see your point completely, I'm on the other end of the spectrum, though. I'll be listening to this one quite a bit.

agree completeley... but... there is still something there that keeps you coming back for more!

He is sampling too much from the same source . All tracks although groovy sound the same . The psy quotient is all about unpredictability which seems to be going down with each release. a different path , a different journey is what is required. Im sure Ovnimoon has the bandwidth in his arsenal to deliver a slightly modified brand of what we have been hearing all along .

the passing clouds rmx is amazing !

He is sampling too much from the same source . All tracks although groovy sound the same . The psy quotient is all about unpredictability which seems to be going down with each release. a different path , a different journey is what is required. Im sure Ovnimoon has the bandwidth in his arsenal to deliver a slightly modified brand of what we have been hearing all along .

the passing clouds rmx is amazing !

Interesting that you pick "Passing Clouds" to mention. It stands out in this collection but when you compare it outside of this work it is the most common sounding progressive track of the bunch.

Ovnimoon samples from the same source repeatedly but since none of the samples sounds contrived or overused, since they all have something interesting to say about spirituality, it just becomes another Ovnimoon trait, something that makes his work distinctive and memorable.

I disagree completely with unpredictability being vital to the "psy quotient". Sometimes a familiar album can still be a great one. "Holistic" is familiar and great.

The point is, Ovnimoon always seems to have some great things to say and he's talking about the same things he's talked about before and he's saying them in similar ways. But he's like an old friend that says exactly what I want to hear and when he opens his mouth he says them in the most remarkable ways.

The point is, Ovnimoon always seems to have some great things to say and he's talking about the same things he's talked about before and he's saying them in similar ways. But he's like an old friend that says exactly what I want to hear and when he opens his mouth he says them in the most remarkable ways.

A bit OT, but sometimes I want my favourite artists not to change their styles too often, at the end of the day that's why (among other things) we like them, right :)?

• Like 1

@ Bill - Cant argue much there , I think you feel strongly about the album and there is no harm in digging what has always appealed to you . To objectively talk about and rate psychedelic music becomes a little difficult because everyone is perceiving the music differently . I like musicians to surprise me and with Ovnimoon its always the same lady talking about meditation peace and love with the same drum patterns and rhythm to accompany the vocals ( more or less) . I never feel driven to the edge of my seat that will make me eventually get and up and move because my mind has already anticipated whats coming up . And thats where unpredictability , especially in this genre of music scores above other variables for me .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ovnimoon. As time has gone on he's probably settled as the most psychedelic artist in the prog psy genre? A bit of a visionary with a true unique style. I can definitely hear an Ovnimoon track now and know it's him before it's IDd for me.

I think the criticism of it all being a bit the same is fair though. There's not been a lot of progression since Geometric Poetry.

Magnetic Portal and Trancemutation Of The Mind in particular felt almost identical.

Holistic is similar again, but the tempo has gone up. This gives it a nice edge. This album gets a pumping as 146 which is new for Hector's productions. However the sounds and trademark Ovnimoon atmosphere are very much similar.

I have speculated to my friends that some of this may be the fact he is not exposed to as many other sounds as his contemporaries? Other acts of this super high calibre spend the European summer going festival-to-festival, then the winter in places like Goa, Brazil, Australia, South Africa and beyond to continue to make a living.

But due to his fear of flying Ovnimoon doesn't do this. Not even in other Sth American countries from what I can tell. The only things I can see online about him playing live all seem to be in Chile.

Could this fuel the same-ness of his music? Surely other artists are influenced by watching other acts rock dancefloors and hearing different sounds on big sound systems. Ovnimoon would never experience this?

Likewise, the fact he doesn't play across the world means that he releases more music. This is his 7th solo album in 9 years, and 8th trance album if you count the one he did with Rigel. This surely also plays a role.

• Like 1

It's like Electric Universe, pump out as much as you possibly can, the quality will suffer but there will be gems in-between. Ovnimoon is still doing good, in fact the Rigel album was the best yet, but this album is getting a bit stale.

I have speculated to my friends that some of this may be the fact he is not exposed to as many other sounds as his contemporaries? Other acts of this super high calibre spend the European summer going festival-to-festival, then the winter in places like Goa, Brazil, Australia, South Africa and beyond to continue to make a living.

But due to his fear of flying Ovnimoon doesn't do this. Not even in other Sth American countries from what I can tell. The only things I can see online about him playing live all seem to be in Chile.

Could this fuel the same-ness of his music? Surely other artists are influenced by watching other acts rock dancefloors and hearing different sounds on big sound systems. Ovnimoon would never experience this?

Likewise, the fact he doesn't play across the world means that he releases more music. This is his 7th solo album in 9 years, and 8th trance album if you count the one he did with Rigel. This surely also plays a role.

I was looking for some live performance clips of Ovnimoon on YouTube and could only find festivals he has done in Chile and was wondering why that was. What you said makes a lot of sense and I had no idea he does not travel outside of the country. Sure, he releases a lot of music besides his own and hears a ton of different styles through his record label but as you're suggesting if he isn't seeing the world view, hearing the music on huge sound systems, seeing the music in action in many different settings, he can be limiting himself as an artist, cutting himself off from the muse, as it were.

Great analysis, Jaza!

Yeah it's a huge pity. He has tried a few times but apparently the fear is crippling.

In 2011 (or was it '12?) Ozora booked him. It was quite a big deal, advertised as "first ever European show". When the time came it's said he just couldn't get on the plane.

In 2013 S.U.N Festival booked "Ovnimoon - message through space" which was just a dedicated slot where they played a live set of his. It was great to hear the music on a proper system, but somewhat lacking without the man there himself. (FWIW you can buy that set at http://ovnimoon.bandcamp.com/album/ovnimoon-live)

I feel sorry for him. The life he could lead with this music could take him all sorts of places. There aren't a huge number of psy DJs making big money, but even those that aren't get to live a life traveling to some fantastic places and meeting beautiful people across the globe. That he misses out on that is as much a pity as that we miss out on his amazing music in the environment it belongs in. (He'd be one of those acts we get once-a-year here in Australia if he could come.)

Yeah it's a huge pity. He has tried a few times but apparently the fear is crippling.

--

He'd be one of those acts we get once-a-year here in Australia if he could come.

Reminds me of Eric Prydz, who cancelled a tour in 2008 but made it in 2014. Googling for Prydz and "fear of flying" will turn up a lot more on the matter.

I've just bought this CD and tbh, I can't see me playing it very often.

The music is really decent, but that woman's vocal samples make me want to vomit. Seriously - completely ruined the album for me.

Sounds like the kind of rubbish you hear from middle aged, middle class hippy wannabes in Glastonbury coffee shops, trying to impress each other (and everyone within earshot) and the breathy, eurotrance style delivery is proper cringe-worthy.

Shame. :(

Holistic (2015) follows the general direction of 2013's critically acclaimed album, Transmutation of the Mind which was one of the best albums from 2013 and still is today. Check out THAT review thread here: Ovnimoon - Trancemutation of the Mind

Holistic in that regard, feels like a sequel or at least a follow up to Trancemutation of the Mind.

Pos and Cons: I like the melodies and atmosphere, the high energy peeks (buildups, climaxes), emotional and ethereal soundscapes, and harmonies. I like that the samples he selected (both here and before) mean something. They emphasis consciousness and the bigger picture as we become more aware -- the positive. I love that, even if the album plays it safe. It's fairly risk-free and appears to have been made (in part) to appeal to a wider audience, WIDER than Trancemutation -- so wide in fact that some people will find this great while others may feel mixed, disappointed. How so? For starters, I would have loved more Goa-influence. Transmutation (2013) had more Goa influence, even though it was Full On Psytrance oriented. It more immersive in some ways, more stimulating on my brain relative to the evolutions in the music, the tempo alterations, interludes, etc. In addition, I'd love for this artist to challenge himself more on the next release since this is more formulaic; it is still worth checking out and absorbed my attention many times throughout.

That said, I feel that when some of us think or hear words like formulaic, we instantly get turned off. Or associate to releases solely made for $$$ (where the artist has sold out), such as what seems to have happened to Talamasca on here, among others. That's not the case with Holistic because it has a heart and soul. It's a good album made with whole intentions, even if it's less unpredictable (Goa-esque) than Trancemutation. If I was expecting something more Goa oriented, like 2014's collaborative [underrated] album by Ovnimoon & Rigel called Omnipresent Technology, I'd be more disappointed, maybe. But Omnipresent Technology is Full On too, albeit less progressive and more psychedelic, the most Goa-oriented album I've heard from Ovnimoon to date along with elements integrated into Trancemutation (2013). Holistic is more or less the opposite. It's more Progressive Full On Trance / Psytrance -- and less, though it is at times -- psychedelic. Holistic is a continuous mix too, similar to Trancemutation I think. It's less exploratory in that regard. But fun to have playing while doing exercises, anything with movement really.

There's a lot of healthy (great) work here! I love the ethereal layering, the voice samples that echo awareness (consciousness) and the beautiful sound work in The Spirit and Emotinoal Blodecodification, etc. I'm impressed with the intense, psychedelic (more Goa-esque) work on The Power. I feel like I needed that. I love the artist's psychedelic (more nighttime sounding) Goa work. Trance Dance closes the album off nicely... Maybe on the next album, we'll get a more psychedelic, GOA-emphasized Full On release that raises the bar (similar to what Trancemutation did at times), rather than keeps the slick vehicle healthy enough to stay a float. Vibratory wise, I think the album has a more positive feel, so that's a plus. I simply would have loved more Goa elements, though this has its touches. As it stands for now, I'm still a fan and looking forward to whatever this artist creates next.

Stream the FULL ALBUM here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tader5YLAYk

For those looking for a strong Goatrance release, V/A - Moon Ritual all the way. Check out my review on Psynews here: "V/A - Moon Ritual"

• Like 1

njJkCGt.jpg

Artist: Ovnimoon

Title: Holistic

Label: Ovnimoon

Date: March, 2015

1. The Spirit

2. Emotional Biodecodification

3. Fear

4. You Can Do This

5. The Power

6. Tesoro Interior

7. Dual Resonance - Passing Clouds (Ovnimoon Remix)

8. Trance Dance

"Help them find their way. Help them meander through the different."

swUc9TU.jpg

Ok let's step back for a second.

No, not you Kanye. I think there's a photographer who called you a no talent. Yep, that's what I heard him say. You should fight him. He's right down there.

Hector is the brains behind this project and with his seventh album as Ovnimoon he has dropped a hot f*cking potato into our laps. So rather than burn the beanbag I put that sh*t directly into my earholes. The reviews here have been great, analyzing this from seemingly every angle. I'm not going to repeat what's been said because let's be honest that's not what I do. I bring the funny. And huge, pendulous boobage.

I'm also not going to trot out the tired cliche about everyone having their own personal taste because for f*cks sake that should be a given by now. Over his career this gentleman has successfully combined progressive, full-on, and more recently goa better than almost anyone. There is power, mysticism, melodies, and most importantly...goa! Did I mention goa? I've heard it said that this is a progressive album with goa touches. Well, like your grandpa with a broken GPS I'm going the other way. This is a goa album with full-on and progressive touches. Every song is that way. Like some I could've done without the sample early on as it sounds too second story mall this is where I get my chakras from sound to me. But to pan the rest of the track and indeed the album? No sir, not me. Ain't gonna be me.

IMO (f*ck humble) he has delivered a worthy sequel to Trancemutation of the Mind. This is a vehicle for space travel through layers of melody. It's colorful and lush with sounds leaving and arriving at precisely the right time. There's nothing cheesy or formulaic about his style as the melodies untwist like a helix over time for maximum hypnotic effect. Isn't that what E-mantra does? And we fall all over ourselves singing his praises. So put me in the camp as someone who thinks this is a triumph and can't wait to get this goa album in his hands.

And now this.

9gLWCH0.gif

Because boobs.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Mdk

• Like 3

I like that the samples he selected (both here and before) mean something. They emphasis consciousness and the bigger picture as we become more aware -- the positive.

I feel that when some of us think or hear words like formulaic, we instantly get turned off. Or associate to releases solely made for $$$ (where the artist has sold out), such as what seems to have happened to Talamasca on here, among others. That's not the case with Holistic because it has a heart and soul. It's a good album made with whole intentions

Excellent review, Jon, seriously, you expressed everything for and against the album in a very clear and objective way, I love reading this one. Above are the quotes that stuck out for me, it's very much the heart-and-soul of the debate in this thread and I feel you summed it up quite nicely.