Filterias "Lost In The Wild" is one of very few masterpieces of our time

Shpongled247

Sky Input is the most "mellow" track of the album.

How about this? Th final climax is insane.

That's better for sure. There's no denying the insanity of the leads / melody, but I still think the bottom end is lacking a little something - a bit of bounce(?) and that's more important to me than melodies.

TBH, I just posted the first track I could find on Youtube, so it might not have been representative of the whole album.

Tell you what - when I get home I'll stick the CD on through my Tannoys, so I can hear it at it's best.

I can't guarantee I'm going to agree it's the best Nu-School Goa album ever, but who knows - I might be doing it a disservice. ^_^

I don't agree. Unless you put IMO or "I think / believe that... " or something along those lines, you are basically stating a fact and dismissing any other opinion, which can come across as arrogant, even if it wasn't meant to be.

It's saying "I am right, your opinion counts for nothing." (Unless it's the same as mine.)

We agree to disagree on its use then. I've never used it on this forum and there's been no problems. I do, however, agree with your view of being polite and yes, something such as "I reckon/I find..." at the start of sentence sounds reasonable (better than "big letters IMO"). There's a lot of people on this forum, stating their views in a "factual manner" but once you understand musical preferences are always unique and tied to a person's subject, then, at that context, you can see it's harmless to voice your opinion boldly.

How about this? Th final climax is insane.

Well then we can perhaps agree to disagree on the definition of "insane" :)

Each to his own, I still think The Portal is the best newschool goa album to date.

Now if Lapsus would ever get around to releasing an album... ;)

I second Ormion to say that Sky Input is one of the most powerful Goa album ever made. Never have I found anywhere else such melodic blasts.Except, perhaps, in Heliopolis.

The sound of early Filteria is superior to 99% of the Goa ever produced. IMO, the only on that has attained such level is Khetzal.

Furthermore, I disagree that Lost in the Wild is an "achievement" of Sky Input. Those albums can't be compared, as they explore different dimensions. Sky Input is solar. LITW is about night-time. One is adventurous, the other one is mysterious. One is exoteric, the other one is esoteric.

However, it seems to me that LITW is more mature and more refined, even if the crazy blasting feeling is gone. It is, without a doubt, his best album so far. The energy is perfectly canalized, and it is a tapestry of details that can only be fully appreciated after many listenings.

I had much pain to taste this last album. I needed months to enter it. And still today, I find it a bit difficult to listen to sometimes, but this album is more about subconsciouness and imaginarium. It is more intimate, and sounds like an inner music (compared to the other albums, who were more extravertive). Once you unleash your imagination, it's a monumental album.

This was the right direction for the Filteria project.

I played all the Filteria albums back to back this weekend and here's my updated opinion...

I still think Sky Input is a good but not great album it's just too busy with same-sounding melodies for me and lacks punch & depth. Heliopolis isn't as good - it's patchy and the down-tempo track is below par - it's just ok IMHO.

Daze Of Our Lives is where he really hits his stride. I very much enjoyed listening to that again. There are much more spaces for the tracks to breathe and it sounds a much better produced and more mature work.

Lost In The Wild has also gone up in my estimation after giving it a good blast through the floorstanders. Tracks 5&6 are still my least favourite due to the relentless melodies, but the album has enough variety that this isn't a problem. There are loads of interesting, excellent sounds going on in the background too and the whole thing sounds polished and well-crafted. It's superb! :D

^^ Nice one Franki

Sounds a bit like you can hear the maturity I was talking about through the albums after listening to them one after the other :)

Everyone is going to like a different album in the end, same as everyone will love a different Metallica/Nirvana/Doors/Beatles//Whatever else album over the years, but there is just no denying he has grown as an artist.

As to Antics comment, No, we shouldn't assume any artist will grow and improve over time. That can NEVER be taken for granted.
Because quite frankly the opposite has happened time and time again in this genre...

I don't need to remind you of every single artist that has taken more than a little backwards step im sure.. As for sounding "thin"... Hah. If you have ever heard him on a decent system I believe you would retract that statement quite quickly.. just imo..

• Like 1

Just this topic shows there will never be one best new school album (I think I'm safe to write it without 'IMO' :))), not only that, but even defining one or another as 'masterpiece' raises questions. Personally I'm in team-Portamento ;).

IMO Filteria is way too much debated here :)

Who should attract more attention than he gains on this forum? Question driven only by curiosity.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

But Filteria already did that much better than the others. Sky Input was, is and probably will be the best new school goa album of all time. Nothing ever came close.

Certainly not mine either. I'd have no problem placing PortaMento - The Portal on top of that list. With Ephedra - Journey Through My Head and Omnivox - Fragments Of Evolution fighting for 2nd place :)

so have you guys all forgotten about ra - 9th?

there is no goa album since year 200X that comes close to it - this is way way way above any filtera

ra has loads of talent - filteria sorry but i cant hear any talent - portamento is a bit better than filteria and not bad at all but still a bit ordinary if you compare with ra - 9th which is magic goa trance

have you guys all forgotten about ra - 9th?

there is no goa album since year 200X that comes close to it - this is way way way above any filtera

ra has loads of talent - filteria sorry but i cant hear any talent - portamento is a bit better than filteria and not bad at all but still a bit ordinary if you compare with ra - 9th which is magic goa trance

everything's subjective. imho 9th surely was the best thing since corolle which was the best goa release since.... umm.. second phaze or something, but after 9th, i put daze, back to space and influencing dreams in the same category.

filteria sorry but i cant hear any talent

This is more a emotional comment, right? To say he has NO talent is like to say Beethoven has no talent, because i dont like it. :P

well i like some artists and i am willing to admit they are not particularly talented - ka-sol is a good example you cant really say its true musical talent (have a music teacher listen to ka-sol and you think he will say this artist is talented?)

as for filteria - since the beginning he tried to copy pleiadians - if you have enough talent you dont try to copy anyone or at least if you do so you succeed and make something even better which is far from being the case here

again please listen to ra - 9th and you will hear something magic very harmonious and personal - definition of music

then listen to filteria...

my view is if you have enough talent then you dont need to put 1000 layers in a track to make it sound like it is psychedelic

(have a music teacher listen to ka-sol and you think he will say this artist is talented?)

MUSIC TEACHERS ARE THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY ON WHO IS TALENTED, YOU GUYS

• Like 2

well i like some artists and i am willing to admit they are not particularly talented - ka-sol is a good example you cant really say its true musical talent (have a music teacher listen to ka-sol and you think he will say this artist is talented?)

as for filteria - since the beginning he tried to copy pleiadians - if you have enough talent you dont try to copy anyone or at least if you do so you succeed and make something even better which is far from being the case here

again please listen to ra - 9th and you will hear something magic very harmonious and personal - definition of music

my view is if you have enough talent then you dont need to put 1000 layers in a track to make it sound like it is psychedelic

e9yj9s.jpg

filteria sorry but i cant hear any talent

Started reading this thread from the start

got the the no talent part and 'music teachers' (ROFLMAMOMAMOMMOWTFLOLOLOL) part

decided to leave this thread right about, now.

3-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif

I'm not really sure where to start with this.. I love Ra's albums and specially 9th and have done for the same amount of time i have loved Filterias work. They are two different styles of goa one more floating and dreamily melodic and the other rather climactic and in your face, an assault on the senses at times if you will. Depending on mood I can happily listen to either as I'm sure most people here can.

Just because you prefer one style doesn't automatically mean the other hasn't taken a shitload of talent and dedication to produce. I'm not quite sure what your metric is for "talent" anyway. You mention musicality but that isn't the only "talent" required to produce high level goa trance and definitely not the defining one.

I feel like Filteria has managed to add on to what Pleiadians started, and put his own unique spin on it. How many artists sound like him even now years later? None. Well, none that I have ever heard, not even close. He has developed his own sound signature, his own style and his own way of doing things. Some people don't like it im sure, but to say there is no talent there is to undermine an artist completely.

PS:

Ka-sol is extremely talented I would say.

• Like 2

i was exaggerating when saying filteria has no talent - i should say filteria doesnt have enough talent

someone in page 1 said what i wanted to say with better words

I'm bound to say he's always sounded a bit random with his melodies and pulled off harmonious, remembable hooks only a couple times in a satisfying fashion. I just think differently to Filteria as to what kind of melodies sound good or he lacks the ear to distinguish an average melody from a great one.

then it is a matter of perception - one would say he produces his music with 1000 layers over the top because he likes it this way and has the talent to make music as good as ra - 9th (if he wanted to but doesnt want to) - others (me) would say he makes in your face aggressive goa with random / forgettable or non-harmonious melodies because he is not able to create clean harmonious melodies and therefore he goes the easy way - at the end of the day it is a matter of perception

i was talking about talent and gave ka-sol as an example because his music sounds too random sometimes for me to say he is really talented - but i like most of his work

there are talented artists around and sometimes i dont like their work - this includes koxbox and infected mushroom - whether you like or not you can hear the musical talent in these guys

but usually when talent is there people will recognize it - juno reactor, ra, dark soho are according to me very talented - and they all sound very different to each other

i wish we could have new artists who really take time to make proper melodies and clean music

if you guys are filteria fans then i understand you take a defensive position - it is normal and human after all

but is talent that subjective? maybe and maybe not - after all we can overall agree beethoven was more talented than justien bieber - therefore objectivity can still exist when it comes to music