garbage in my mind

goa pride

Full-On · Darkpsy · Progressive · Downtempo · Twilight · Forest · Morning · Zenonesque · Techno · Techtrance · Psycore · Deep Trance · Glitch · Experimental · Hi-tech · Psy Dub · Suomi · Ambient · Minimal

Devil's advocacy here... isn't that list a bit too specific? Is there really enough difference between, say, tech-trance, minimal, and zenonesque? Or between full-on and twilight? Or forest, darkpsy, and hi-tech? I don't know if it's garbage, but it puts me off to see music put in such narrow boxes, as though psychedelic trance and its various colours could be defined by formulae.

Well there are people who love Forest and Darkpsy, but hate Hi-Tech. Or others like me who love Twilight, but not Full On. So I guess it makes sense to have some basic subgenres. After all Psytrance is pretty diverse today. Metal has 30-40 subgenres, Rock the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Devil's advocacy here... isn't that list a bit too specific? Is there really enough difference between, say, tech-trance, minimal, and zenonesque? Or between full-on and twilight? Or forest, darkpsy, and hi-tech? I don't know if it's garbage, but it puts me off to see music put in such narrow boxes, as though psychedelic trance and its various colours could be defined by formulae.

No, it is not too specific. Consider why we classify music in the first place: to help us understand musical diversity and find more of what we like (or avoid what we don't). Classifying music is tough work if you're trying to jam something into the proverbial pigeonhole of a genre (a mutually exclusive category) but much easier if you think in terms of style (a nuanced non-exclusive description with differing degrees of specificity). I follow the principle of parsimony in determining what styles are a part of the musical taxonomy at Ektoplazm, which is to say, I am interested in the least complex taxonomy that most accurately describes the music on the site with respect to the actual topography of music taste and listening habits in the wild, which is always changing. I believe this approach has value, particularly for anyone new to the culture and overwhelmed by its musical diversity, but it certainly isn't meant to be definitive.

The purpose of Ektoplazm's taxonomy is mostly to point people in the direction of more music they might like, something known as signposting. I welcome dialogue about whether or not the existing system achieves this aim or not. Actually, I've had a lot of fun posing questions to Ektoplazm's 130,000+ followers on Facebook any time questions of style come up. The original taxonomy mostly reflected my own personal understanding of psytrance but in recent years it's been shaped by the community.

• Like 2

Hi-Tech is not Psycore.

this so much. Personally I don't get why Psycore is or has been attached only to fast bpm and horror.

Psy(hedeli)

~,~ https://insomnia-records.bandcamp.com/track/cpc-fokusnic-metuta

Fashion? Hit & miss https://beatspace-acidance.bandcamp.com/track/f-people

Forest, for sure scando are doing nice inzected sounds for the forest journey: https://yggdrasilrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hutti-heita

Personally I don't get why Psycore is or has been attached only to fast bpm and horror.

because if you take away the fast bpm and horror from psycore you just end up with darkpsy. if you take away only the horror (and any sort of darkness) while leaving the high bpm you end up with hitech.

Genres,

Psytrance (the daddy / umbrella of all electronical psy- subgenres like Zenonesque aka. modern deep/dark prog.)

GOA (the gran daddy of all Psytrance)

In your opinion

Both these you would classify under the Psytrance enre as Darkpsy?

~ concrete psy

2. http://shop.vertigo-records.com/album/deja-vu-fabrique ~ Lightpsy ~Kinetic Psy

(i called this music psycore in 2004 - they didnt quit know how to, and some didnt want to make melodies (cheese danger) )