2. Bom Bim Bam

3. Bongo People

4. Organisticks

5. Aurora Borealis

6. Fruitcake

7. Osaka Bells

8. Mushrooms And Moonshine

9. Whales In Space

Morning time is for the light, grinding up a good cup of coffee, a time to make sure the inner mood is not bitter when it comes time to walk out the front door. It is not a time, usually, for forest music. Rarely, a great artist like DoHm or Schizoid Bears will put out a track that I can have going on the headphones in these important, soul-soothing hours of the day. Now I can add Hutti Heita to that list, as well.

At no point would I call "Hutti Heita" normal because it is weird - very weird - but at no point does this full-length ever veer off into confounding or uncomfortable dark psy terrain. Hutti Heita are fun-loving forest producers who stay in the light for all nine of these tracks, always employing ground-rumbling and highly dance-able bass lines that the listener can latch on to for something normal if the effects or samples become a bit too strange and the way ahead begins to get fuzzy.

The strength of the entire album is that this is dance-floor friendly forest music, not something that a peak-hour crowd might eat up, mind you, but for those who enjoy grooving to sounds a bit off the beaten path there is a lot to love in these numbers. The ground-rumbling bass keeps everything moving along quite nicely throughout but Hutti Heita are producers with a gift for rhythms, no small reason for the album's success. At one moment, some unpredictable direction change may leave you wondering where the hell you may be going, the next instance some awesome rhythm may just have you bouncing with glee.

Of these tracks, the aforementioned rhythms make "Bongo People" excellent, where the drum circle-esque energy flow is superb to experience.

Mysterious tribal chants, mentally tantalizing samples, stomping bass lines and exhilarating effects make "Bom Bim Bam" a liberating track on both physical and metaphysical levels.

"Osaka Bells" takes the bells of its title and offers up sound altogether beautiful and peaceful, projecting forth a sense of relaxation more in tune with down tempo, so the juxtaposition with the mind-tripping effects and delightfully disjointed forest frequencies on this one are top-notch.

"Mushrooms And Moonshine" comes forward like a full-on storm with wicked good bass beats, pretty little keyboard melodies and effects that are haunting and altogether psilocybian in nature.

"Organisticks" is a big sound-system beast, music with so much power under the hood that it deserves be heard with proper sound (no headphones, please) so that the brakes are taken off.

"Travel Scrabble" is a sturdy opener, perhaps not one of the marquee of this bunch, but the Hutti Heita characteristics of musical punch and fun, trippy samples is in abundance. "Aurora Borealis" is spooky fun, if listening to on a set of headphones the unexpected samples will have you glancing over your shoulder to see who else may be in the room.

"Fruitcake" chirps with forest effects, as if it has little electronic birds hanging from its branches. The "Whales In Space" conclusion is every bit as weird and wildly compelling as its title suggests.

This is forest music, through-and-through, and while more of these tracks have a very definitive time-and-place to when they should be played, there are four or five that are versatile enough, likeable enough, accessible enough, to get played while I'm enjoying my morning cup of coffee and preparing for the day.

I'm not sure I can express how impressed I am with this work better than that.

• Like 1

Extremely pleasing album, forest that is not trying to overwhelm you but rather gently twists your head in a very comforting way.

The highlights for me here are Bom Bim Bam, Bongo People, Organisticks and Aurora Borealis. But the rest of the album is absolutely delicious too... Every Forest lover owes it to him or herself to listen to this.

I still have to listen to Goch's Sphere Of Influence but I'm pretty certain this is one of if not the best forest album I have laid my ears upon since Derango's Tumult. And that's saying a lot. Strong contender for the best album of 2015 for me, and we've only just begun...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Artist: Hutti Heita

Release: Hutti Heita

Year: 2015

Label: Yggdrasil Records

Cat-#: Yggcd004

Rating: 3/5

Tracklisting:

1) Travel Scrabble

2) Bom Bim Bam

3) Bongo People

4) Organisticks

5) Aurora Borealis

6) Fruitcake

7) Osaka Bells

8) Mushrooms & Moonshine

9) Whales In Space

Now don't get me wrong here, it is a neat trip this album. So what is wrong then? These guys do have potential, you can hear it quite clearly throughout the whole CD. Unfortunately something is holding them back and only they could answer why.

It's spaced out and trippy, also love the lilting bits of melody that all the tracks are seasoned with. But I would have loved their melodies and trippyness to take on a more improvised way. Of course tracks needs structure but it should still give way for a bit just random soul a certain deepness in the tracks. To me it sounds like either they were way too rigid in their production or they're simply afraid of going a little bit more nutty.

Seriously guys I want more, I loved how those odd marimba-like melody layers sort of faded into the tracks and gave them a purpose but the frustration starts when those layers are not built upon and instead seem to play a very small part on the album.

But as I said it is a very nice try and I implore the artists to keep at it and expand on their ideas.

Guest antic

It's spaced out and trippy, also love the lilting bits of melody that all the tracks are seasoned with. But I would have loved their melodies and trippyness to take on a more improvised way. Of course tracks needs structure but it should still give way for a bit just random soul a certain deepness in the tracks. To me it sounds like either they were way too rigid in their production or they're simply afraid of going a little bit more nutty.

Fully agree and there's great potential there, however it could be more daring & crazy just like Kiriyama's "Reach Escape Velocity" was, which to this day is the pinnacle of dark / forest / goa-psytrance.

Still, this is worth to be in every collection, so it easily gets 4/5 from me.

I listened this one from start to finish and surely it's not a weak release by no means, but feels restrained and doesn't go too far with any ideas. There's no great build-ups or really epic climaxes. Maybe they don't intend anything like that to happen with this music, but you can't escape a comparison to the best forest music out there... and this is not that for me. I enjoyed a few moments but not the release as a whole. A rating of 3,5/5 is justified I reckon.

I've listened to it a few times now and I can find something I like in every track. I think they have a great foundation with the rhythm, bass and overall feel, BUT I do agree there's always something missing from taking it to the next level. The only exception to this I find is Mushrooms & Moonshine - when the oozey melody comes in at around 4:45, now that's the next level I'm talking about :) It's not dramatic, but adds another skewed dimension to the whole trip.

Still I think it's a great addition to the forest family of trance. It's floaty, and a good contrast to Goch - which is more oppressive, complex, swamp trance. I think it's nice to have the diversity and that more artists are doing their style of forest :)

• 6 months later...

Honestly I don't see what's the big deal about it. It's nice yes, but ppl talk about it like it's the second coming of Forest psy. It's more on the minimal side of Forest, but it lacks the atmosphere and eeriness.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I don't see what's the big deal about it.

I feel like many of the tracks progress in a coherent way that's lacking from a lot of forest psy (which often comes across as a sequence of unconnected noises). Also I think the relative sparseness works to its advantage, the fact that they're not throwing every single sound into every single track makes the individual tracks more distinct and memorable.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly I don't see what's the big deal about it. It's nice yes, but ppl talk about it like it's the second coming of Forest psy. It's more on the minimal side of Forest, but it lacks the atmosphere and eeriness.

Ormion, what do you think is a better recent forest release?

• 5 months later...