Radical Distortion - 12 Dimensions

Bill

R-6411567-1418566122-1041.jpeg.jpg

Radical Distortion

12 Dimensions

Label: Zion 604

Tracklist:

1. The Score

2. Computer Controlled - Physical Reality (Radical Distortion Remix)

3. Homo Universalis

4. Quantum Gravity

5. Sunrise Zone (Acid Mix)

6. 12 Dimensions

7. 24 dB (Odyssey Mix)

8. Dragon Birthy

9. I Am Locutus

After a first listen I came away from "12 Dimensions" very disappointed. Following the grandiose intro of "The Score," a wild cinematic track bursting with what sounds like a full orchestra, things got poor pretty quickly, so much so that by the time the tunes seemed to be getting better it was pretty difficult to check back in.

As for round two the gems of this collection started to shine bright and beautiful helped in no small way by listening to the album on random so that the later tracks, the better tracks, got the first look they deserve. Nothing as big or broad as "The Score" lead-off track is found elsewhere on the album so it sets the bar pretty high early on. Interestingly, in sequence from the CD, the three weakest tracks play next and they just seem to lag and overstay their welcome.

Beginning with "Sunrise Zone (Acid Mix)" and continuing to the album's conclusion on the unspeakably great "I Am Locutus" the tracks get infinitely better - subtle, slow-burners, remarkably better over time, so nuanced that there does not seem to be a way to savor all the beauty in just one listen.

The finest part of these latter five tracks is that they are gloriously old-school in spirit but delivered within the crystal-clear clarity of modern technology. There is no sensory overload from an avalanche of effects and no risk of running a Caesar by piercing the listener to death with synth stabs. "12 Dimensions" is not overly complex with its layers nor is it as dismissively simple with those layers as the first listen could make it seem.

"12 Dimensions" is a great album (complete with some wicked cover art) once you get past the rough spots. There are no dance floor bombs here so it is gorgeous at-home goa and for five beautiful, intricate, well-paced, superbly crafted tracks it lives up to its name as a multi-dimensional gem.

Solid album. Funny how Radical Distortion started with an almost nitzo sound. That phase is completely unrecogizable now.

The only thing I'd add is that subtle music has a place on the dancefloor. Maybe not at 3AM. But I prefer being hypnotized to being bashed over the head by goa, so for me, this is perfect party music.

• Like 2

Im so happy these greek dudes released an album . Have always been a fan of their sound , which is immediately recognizable , and not disappointed at all this time around too. Treads a perfect balance between old school goa and modern production . Will work on the dancefloor at anytime.

• 2 weeks later...

no risk of running a Caesar by piercing the listener to death with synth stabs.

What does that mean?

Great album btw, for me it skips from Transwave through AP to Etnica, but with their own twist. No walls of sound, which is nice. This one should stay with me for a while :).

A good, old school-edged album with a lot of analog hardware in use. I know these guys have built a decent studio and invested quite a lot of their times to this project. For that, I'm thankful and seriously appreciate anyone with a little 90s twist to their story. Couple tracks have very distinct Transwave flavour a la 96, so it's a bit of a time machine album. Nothing wrong with that. I've gone through listening to this album as a whole a few times now, and in terms of composition find it ok - there's nothing groundbreaking or jaw-dropping, but on the other hand all tracks are listenable. I don't regard this as a classic to be, for it doesn't excel in any area. Still, a release worth investigating.

Radical Distortion - 12 Dimensions
Psychedelic GOA TRANCE
Zion 604

Tracklist:
1. The Score
2. Physical Reality
3. Homo Universalis
4. Quantum Gravity
5. Sunrise Zone (Acid Mix)
6. 12 Dimensions
7. 24 dB (Odyssey Mix)
8. Dragon Birth
9. I Am Locutus

Radical Distortion is back with a new Goa-Trance album. Correction: They released Back In Space in 2013 and I never fully heard it (till now).

Link: https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/67324-radical-distortion-back-in-time/

Moving to THIS album. After a spectacular opening track IMO, followed by a dip (track 2 for me), the album picks up again. This release took TWO FULL LISTENS for me to say, hey I like this album. Before that I only liked maybe 2-3 tracks. I think many unique albums are like that though.

1. The Score .......................... Super track. Engaging, riveting, coupled with sweet cinematic touches to boot A

2. Physical Reality ................. Fairly Monotonous, uneventful, and unexciting compared to the opening, but not bad. I didn't care for it, but others might. C+

3. Homo Universalis .............. More development, catcher synth work and direction than track 2. Stick to what's great guys! B+

4. Quantum Gravity ............... Gripping synth work, solid development, cool ambient touches, FX/wobbly sound is catchy! The song feels longer than necessary though. B

5. Sunrise Zone (Acid Mix) .... I like how this starts with tight changes (sound/music variety) early on, then it weakens, grows formulaic and monotonous. This could have been great with some more polishing. C+

6. 12 Dimensions .................. The next high energy track. This feels focused, more confident, and determined. It's very good! B+ / A-

7. 24 dB (Odyssey Mix) ......... Effective is the RA-esque Middle Eastern opening, ambient, melodies, voice FX, psy feel, and direction. Nice work! B+

8. Dragon Birth ...................... Starts slow and gets better as it progress, with a MWNN-esque feel. This is a cool track for home listening, driving, etc. B

9. I Am Locutus ..................... Finally a tight downtempo GOA track to close the album. These guys have never let me down with their downtempo work. Good track! B+

CONCLUSION
This album took time to grow on me past the opening track which is a missile, and would have benefitted from at least 2 or 3 more super songs, tracks on par with The Score. There's some really good, interesting work on the album past the opening track. The artists take some chances when you least expect and incorporate some old school with sci-fi new school influence, which I liked. But the opening track sets the bar pretty high. Certain tracks could have used more work to grip harder, such as IMO tracks 2, 4, 5. Is an album full of super songs like The Score possible, so that I can give a new school Goa album an A for once in 6 years? These guys have that potential. Additionally, songs like Homo Universalis, 12 Dimensions, and maybe 1-3 (7, 9 followed by 8 for me) are well done. There is some really good work here. I just with the whole was stronger than the sum of its parts, if that makes sense.

Sample the full album here

• Like 2

I wish they could release a more consistent album sometime. The first 3 tracks are stellar and then it drops off to more mediocre compositions. Might edit this upon further listens but I really can't get past first 3 tracks often.

• 1 month later...

I wish they could release a more consistent album sometime. The first 3 tracks are stellar and then it drops off to more mediocre compositions. Might edit this upon further listens but I really can't get past first 3 tracks often.

XL00ELA.jpg

Silly boy ;) Much like the misguided (and unfortunately no longer with us) rocket scientist above perhaps you're doing it wrong. We're talking about goa trance here not long division. If I may offer a suggestion? I come at this album as if Kate Upton fell into my lap before I was married and had two loveable but lifesucking parasites.

From all angles.

I think we can all agree that The Score is f*cking magical so let's set that sweet, sweet chocolate aside. I Am Locotus is a sinister downtempo bit of alien goa that should have you looking nervously skyward. Dragon Birth has old school swagger and bounce where the 303's go for the kill shot. 24db is great and will get the toes tapping without being spectacular. The title track is groovy and accumulates layers as it moves forward with its acid splatter style. One of my faves. Sunrise Zone has more of that delicious acid. I mean, it says it right there in the track title. Why would they lie Penzo? Why would they lie. (Please note intended sarcasm)

Quantum Gravity is more uptempo, bouncing around madness that still maintains its bite. Homo Universalis stomps heavily committing heinous acts of skullduggery while making a pit stop at that f*cked up star wars cantina. Besides it has the word homo in it and everybody loves that. Homo.

Rj5G4Z4.gif

And...here come the PC police.

While Physical Reality was the weakest track on the album for me it was still a fairly solid entry. So there you go. After I turned Kate into a hot pretzel and hooked her up with wtih the best 3 minutes of her life (including 2 min and 45 sec of solid cuddle time) the roadmap to a good album is laid out.

iHRJK4Z.gif

"Don't move! I'll be right there baby...just trying to get my pants..."

*tugging on pants and trips into coffee table making tremendous noise*

"No, no wait! Where you going!?!"

Zio604 Bandcamp

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have the same review skills as Trance2MoveU, but I found this album to be very enjoyable. I will admit it took some time and a couple listens, but then all the tracks clicked with me. One thing I enjoyed about it (from my perspective) is that it doesn't try to have every track as a bang or stuff of that nature. I remember reading and discussing this on another trance forum, but I personally think not every track released by artist have to be crazy or try to be unique/"out there". Obviously artists shouldn't just copy & paste, but one thing that sometimes bothers me when listening to some newer goa sets is that every track is a banger, not much different in tempos, or etc. Not saying that the 90s or whatever were perfect, but variety and "filler" tracks are also important with in sets. Then again, I tend to prefer albums and compilations than going to parties (because there are none in my area, lol).

I hate doing number ratings as I feel that they "color" opinions of folks (some good albums get rated a low score due to early reviewers, etc). But regardless, I definitely recommend this to any psy/goa lover especially since it is a bit different from releases from Suntrip or Neogoa.

• 10 months later...