The album that dissapointed you the most

Ormion

For me is definitely Nitrox. I was new in the scene back then, but I already adored Etnica/Pleiadians. Actually they were a major reason why I became a goa fan in the first place. I wasn't visiting any psy forum, I only discovered psynews a year later so I had no idea about a new album or how it sounds. I just saw it one day on the cd store shelf.

Needless to say when I went home and listened to it my heart shattered. I was expecting full power melodic madness and I got minimal techno with no melodies. The fuck? Thank God the downtempo tracks were great otherwise I would have burned that shit.

Filteria Daze was a big one, I expected something else. Not a bad album, just really disappointing as I hyped it to death.

Enichkin - The Ride. Just boring.

Nebula Meltdown - Stardust Chronicles. Definitely not what I was expecting, I was expected off the wall psy, not mellow trance.

Goasia - Ambihibians On Spacedock. Well the 2nd album was something completely different, really unique form of goa, the third album felt like they went back to the first album, I was hoping for a bigger progression.

M-Run - Some Run Just For Fun. Eh I don't really get how this even happened..

"Three dissapointments i can recall from the previous years are Back To Space, The Inner Shift" WGAT ??

I agree about Back To Space. His compilation tracks were pure powerful Goa, but his album way too floating.

Filteria Daze was a big one, I expected something else. Not a bad album, just really disappointing as I hyped it to death.Enichkin - The Ride. Just boring.Nebula Meltdown - Stardust Chronicles. Definitely not what I was expecting, I was expected off the wall psy, not mellow trance.Goasia - Ambihibians On Spacedock. Well the 2nd album was something completely different, really unique form of goa, the third album felt like they went back to the first album, I was hoping for a bigger progression.M-Run - Some Run Just For Fun. Eh I don't really get how this even happened..

M-Run album was great, what are you talking about? :P

About IM I saw it coming tbh. B.P.Empire was good, but not on par with the first two albums and Converting Vegetarians was mediocre.

About IM I saw it coming tbh. B.P.Empire was good, but not on par with the first two albums and Converting Vegetarians was mediocre.

I agree that their first four albums got steadily worse (The Gathering is a masterpiece) but even Converting Vegetarians has some really good tracks IMO. Supervisor came as a complete surprise to me.

Koxbox's U-Turn no? I remember having eagerly waited for it, and although it contained a couple nice techno-ish tracks, as an album it was definitely a dissapointment and ultimately proved me the golden Koxbox sound was a lot to do with Ian Ion and Peter Candy.

• Like 1

Now that you raise the subject, it seems to me that The Inner Shift is a hard to listen, and that Crossing Mind's major issue is to remain coherent within his tracks. The moods are too changing IMO, and the track fade away into a complicated shapeless cloud exhausted with emotions. That is why I prefer the first album, even if Optronic Circles had SO MUCH effects on me.

As for "Back to Space", it sure is one of the best album of the newschool era, but unfortunately, I do agree with you on one point : the tracks could have been pushed further. The potential was not unleashed at 100%. Rather at 80%. Some tracks lack a bit of consistency, and it is hard to fully appreciate them while being sober.

Nonetheless, it's one of my favourite ever, and I listen to it every month since 2 years.

Answering the main topic :

my greatest disappointment so far has been this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQn2kkuqEs

I enjoyed so much Algae Forest, Bioluminescent Bay and Druids Gathering. Exceptionnal Goa Trance. I enjoy CoaGoa's style a lot, it really takes me away. But this EP was just tasteless (except the melodies in Frozen Love). I really hope that the upcoming album will be faithful to the most genuine tracks of CoaGoa.

Koxbox's U-Turn no? I remember having eagerly waited for it, and although it contained a couple nice techno-ish tracks, as an album it was definitely a dissapointment and ultimately proved me the golden Koxbox sound was a lot to do with Ian Ion and Peter Candy.

^This.

It was such a big let down, One decent (minus) track, from koxbox ?

CBL - Twentythree (it's not that bad, but i was expecting my cbl fix, and got a super slow drone ambient for those "i need to go to sleep fast so ill listen to this..." moments.

And back in the day, while inserting Planet B.E.N 'Silver' album to the sterio, i was expecting super psychedelic music, and i got techno music.

It's one of my fav albums, but back then i was davestated.

From recent times, ill have to say the new Hux Flux album, realy realy disappinting.

Last Shpongle album was a big dissapointment for me. In recent times I'm trying not to have big expectations from certain musicians or announced releases, because of hype that people tend to create. However, regarding the new Ra album, I'm building that same hype and I can't help myself, so I have super-huge expectation for that one, and I'm pretty much sure Ra and Suntrip will deliver an epic release.

Artifact303 compilation tracks are indeed better than Back To Space album, but I don't see it as some dissapointment, it got some outstanding moments, but it's hard to appriciate it more on the album itself than on compilation among the other artists. If you take for example Mysterious Fantasy or Beyond The Lightspeed and put it on some compilation, people will appriciate it just like his earlier works, the thing is that on the album it's hard to have 'so much' brilliant moments unlike on some V/A where you can show your best in less time. I still haven't heard any Goa trance album from 2004 onwards where all tracks are perfect. Maybe Ra's 9th was the closest thing to perfection (at least, perfection for my personal taste in Goa trance music). So, that might be a reason why some people see Back To Space as a let down.

Speaking about The Inner Shift, it's one of the albums where you have to listen to details and get into it for a loooong period of time, since Crossing Mind music is all about the little textures of sound that you just can't experience or get in to it on first listening or on second listening. For sure, it was hard for him to make better album than the debut but to say it's a let down, well, not in my book for sure.

• Like 1

I would have to say Artha - Influencing Dreams. I really really enjoyed Fluori Dolby. It had great song writing, structure, and groove. And then the full album came out and it was like all those delicious melodies, imaginative sounds, explorations just vanished. The flow was gone, to my ears anyways.

• Like 1

Hence the name of the album . I remember lots of fans not liking it but since i was late on the goa bandwagon it sounded super good to me. A lot depends on where you are on the Goa trance curve that dictates what you like and what you dont.

I would have to say Artha - Influencing Dreams. I really really enjoyed Fluori Dolby. It had great song writing, structure, and groove. And then the full album came out and it was like all those delicious melodies, imaginative sounds, explorations just vanished. The flow was gone, to my ears anyways.

Agree . Everyone here was going gaga and i was wondering what the fuss was all about . sounded so bland .

This may be a good example of why some producers would do better by sticking to shorter EPs rather than longer albums. I think EPs are a better way to master studio and compositional skills rather than attempting an entire album too soon.

(BTW, I also think that too many producers jump to long track lengths before they've mastered short ones, which are actually harder.)

Koxbox - U Turn

Transwave - Fronfire (damn, what a BIG dissapointment that was)

Etnica - Chrome (probably the worst)

Asia 2001 - Abduction (such crap after so many wonderful albums!)

And I remember Artha was indeed a huge dissapointment for me too, his "old" music which was freely available here on psynews was among the best tracks I heard in years... Totally psychedelic, twisted and old school...

I thought U-Turn was great. O.K. it's not Goa, but there were some varied dancefloor thumpers on there.

I'd have to say:

Asia 2001 - Contact. (Uneven sound quality, none particularly good and ruined by awful samples.)

Cronomi V.A. - Erta Ale. (Ruined by overuse of (and) awful samples.)

Cosmosis - Trancendance . (Total cheese and again awful samples.)

Encephalopaticys - Psychometric Meditation. (Surely not the same guy who was involved with the amazing Ukalen album?!!)

Psykovsky - Na Ve Ka - (After the sublime, utter genius of Tanetsveta, a harsh, discordant noise fest, nearly un-listenable at certain points. I was expecting so much more from this one.)