How to convert my collection CD'S into flac files ?

U.F.Orb

Hello friends.

so, that time has come. I Wish to convert my collection into flac files

but i know nothing about how to convert music the proper way.

Any pointers ?

+

When i convert the music, do i realy have to edit each track to add his track name/artist tag ?

Please, tips and tricks are more then welcome.

:)

p.s

sorry if this is not in the proper section, feel free to move.

ExactAudioCopy 1.0 beta 3 4 (www.exactaudiocopy.de)

Hit F10:

Detect the features of your drive

Make sure Secure Mode is selected (ultra important)

Hit F11:

External compression > "user defined encoder" by selecting flac.exe in the program path and "-8 %source% -o %dest%" in the command line.

In the main window:

Insert CD in reader, use Acton menu > (Test and) copy selected tracks > compressed.

done.

Yep, EAC is fine on Windows side. Cdparanoia-based tools like Rubyripper work for Unix/Linux/BSD. Check that the ripper has correct CDrom offset for your drive and settings that verify the read a few times. Official FLAC builds should be reliable and fine. You may want to set ReplayGain already in the encoding stage.

Most rippers can fetch tags from CDDB/Freedb/elsewhere, but always triple-check them because all kinds of errors, typos, crap capitalisation, using "VA" as the artist for each track etc. are all too common. Discogs often helps in spotting the true track content when even the original cover has misprints. Psy scene has a long history of switched tracks, misspellings, uncredited appearances, name variations and such.

Sometimes the data I get from public databases is so horribly wrong and poorly formatted that it's easier just to re-type it from scratch yourself...

ExactAudioCopy 1.0 beta 3 (www.exactaudiocopy.de)

Actually, beta4 came out in december :)

In the main window:

Insert CD in reader, use Acton menu > Test and copy selected tracks > compressed.

I've never bothered with Test & Copy. Copy is usually just fine with AccurateRip & CueTools (which both are included in the installer).

Some trickery is usually in order if you don't get a 100% clean rip. Usually lowering the read speed is enough but some CDs cause read errors even then. If that's the case use burst read mode and listen to the sections that produce errors in secure mode. If there are no glitches, al good :)

Thanks folks !

I'm now after my first flac rip ever (ripped the compi 'Mahasuka')

And i must say i am so happy ! It was easier then i thought !

Used EAC to do the work.

Music sounds superb, thank you for all the help.

Oh and, anyone know if flac can be played on Iphone (4) ?

Thanks again <3 :)

technosomy, the right question is: do goa heads use MAC?!? I don't, been using PCs since 1992!