Life in Goa after a Month

Shpongled247

So I have been in Goa now for a month or so and thought maybe some people might be interested in what its actually like here these days, well as it pertains to psytrance anyways heh.

Staying in Anjuna quite frankly I have been blown away and would say it has far far surpassed my expectations. Was able to find an awesome apartment within a few weeks, 20 mins walking distance to anjuna beach, or 5 min scooter ride.

Party Wise - Wow. Seriously I thought I knew what a LOT of parties meant from London… But nothing could ever have prepared me for this, and I love psy parties haha. Every. Single. Night, there are parties going on, quite large ones often times even though this season is a bit down from usual.

Musically - they do love a lot of dark/forest stuff and I literally saw Atriohm 3 nights in a row (by mistake i didn't look at a lineup haha). But they also are playing some decent full on as well.

So far have yet to hear any progressive really at all, which is fine by me as I heard enough in London :P

My only chances of hearing any Goa is when Astral come in Febuary, so I am quite hanging out for that.

I am actually quite struggling to find balance of party/not party here as its just so hard not to party all the time. Luckily the gf is keeping me somewhat in line. :)

All in all this place is incredible, and I think it still has a vibe like nowhere else. Nowhere is ever going to be the same as it was, and everything changes but i think goa is still a magic place.

Any questions or tips or anything just ask, I have about 3 months left to go now in Anjuna as more artists come in throughout the next months but will be travelling a bit more of India as well.

• Like 2

Good on you. I went in 2004 and dunno why but either I was too burnt out to enjoy it or else it was a bad season but I enjoyed just chilling out more than the few gigs I went to. Music was quite the minimal side of things and at that age I was not in to minimal or techno at all.

Atriohm!! nice, lovely tunes from this act!

Goa is the locastion in India that I liked the least... Was there 2006 and 2009 both times around November/December. It was mass-tourism galore back then, it seems to be better the past couple of years.

Anyway, I reccomend a short visit (3-4 Days) to Hampi, you'll be blown away by the place and it's not too far from Goa.

Hi, I'm interested to hear more about this. Was in Calangute/Baga in 1996 but that was before I was really into dance music at all so we didn't really visit the parties.

Are the parties in regular, organised venues, on the beach? Or are they secret remote locations which would always require transport to get to?

How is the accommodation and food thesedays? In 96 we were on a tight budget and it was all a bit dodgy to say the least!

Thanks for any info!

five years ago there are parties in regular venues as well as in remote locations (these are usually better). food is definitely dodgy and i wouldn't recommend eating anything that hasn't been cooked (including fruit juices) in most restaurants. i don't know anyone who has made it for more than 2 weeks without any digestion problems ;)

when i was there we didn't have a tight budget, but in arambol there wasn't even a room with air condition or humanely soft beds to spend our money on. nowadays it's probably different down in anjuna/vagator and very likely different even further south in palolem. you can even book package holidays there...

Yes but what about now? (Sorry if I've misread your post)

Hi mate,

Plenty of parties now both in regular venues and also in remote locations.

Have enjoyed a bunch at Monkey Valley, Shiva Valley, Curlies and of course Hilltop. They are probably some of the more famous/popular party destinations this season here. And yup a lot of those are ending up on the beach. It is quite cool watching the sun come up over the water while dancing on the sand!

Remote parties are not as easy to come by obviously as they are a bit out of the way, but mostly not too far from Anjuna anyways. Finding parties is easy once you know a few people. Choosing which parties you want to go to is a lot harder haha. :)

Accomodation wise there is plenty, everywhere and cheap coming from the UK. You can find anything from cheap hostel, single room with or without AC in a guest or share house, up to an apartment with swimming pool etc for the season. I found ours quite easily online.

Let me know if you need to know anything else!

Sounds great. I go to Thailand regularly but the trance scene is dwindling somewhat, with boring tech-house and commercial stuff taking over. It's there still, but nothing like 10+ years ago when that was all there was.

So which beach location would you recommend to stay for a few weeks, which has the right mix of a) Quiet location (populated, but not with high class resorts), b ) easy walking access to decent eateries, c) easy walking access to beach trance parties. Am I asking for too much?!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sphongled247, thanks for the beer!

See you again at some dancefloor :)

And yes, like the t-shirt says "life is better in Goa".

The vibe of the place, the parties the people, nothing compares to it, even if its not what it used to be for sure, its still rocking. The production of the parties has gone up as well. Slow on tourism this year as apparently there were 700 flights(!) cancelled from Russia due to currency drop.

• Like 1