Traveling the world full-time

annica

Hi all,

First of all I apologize I should post on Travel section but it won't let me.

Anyone traveling the world full-time? (or has done it in the past?) Could you give me some tips particularly on sustenance/making a living?

I wanna travel around visiting the different scenes, while making a living as I travel. I thought of couple of options but I don't know how reliable they are since I never tried them.

All I hear is people either doing "Web-design/IT" which I can't do. Or knitting necklaces/wristbands which I also can't do and not sure it fits me.

Any other ideas?

I appreciate it :)

Annica

ps. If you don't wanna publicly reveal your awesome secret that will make me millionaire you can pm me :P

i've never done that, but one popular choice for many asian countries is working as an english teacher. some even take any foreigner, others require you to be a native speaker (thailand has required a university degree of any kind for a few years now).

also, i've heard that a popular way to finance a party-traveller-lifestyle in freetekno scene is dealing drugs ;)

• Like 1

hospitality is best.. ie working in cafes/kitchen hand etc... always work.. usually cash.. and you get to meet great people who can usually get you more work.

fruit picking is good seasonal.. always work here in australia for this and hospitality.. or drug dealing if that's your thing.

try selling grass clippings to tourists... or rock salt as meth!!! :lol:

• Like 1

I'd avoid fruit picking. My wife's uncle runs a very large orchard & farm. The travellers fruit picking have terrible living conditions & the pay is abominable. If suggest working in cafes etc. depending where you want to go why not spend a year working & saving and travel for 6-12 months on your savings? In '99-'00 I'd did this. Worked for a year after high school at an abattoir slaughtering pigs. Great pay. Covered my airfare to Europe, Nepal & S.E Asia. Stayed in backpacker accomadation. Sure I lived on bread, cheese & eggs in Europe but it was worth the worst 12 months of work ever.'

I still sadly have nightmares of the screaming pigs...

• Like 1

Anything Freelance if you can?

We just did two years away from home freelancing in the uk (graphic design) and you can really make good money.

Temp agencies can help with other work quite a lot as well (general office stuff? Reception?)

The only thing wrong with the hospitality idea is what happened to all my friends, they pay soooo little that its hard to ever travel/move on from yr job.. So it might just cover rent + food. Or maybe just need to earn a lot of tips! :)

A friend also makes jewellery and clothes here in Goa and is doing quite ok this year. Actually I think a lot of people buy things in bulk cheaply, then sell them at stalls for 5x the price lol.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Teaching English is good, though its not very flexible... if you wanna travel more fluently. The ideal thing for me would be to either sell a product or offer a service as I go, something I can take with me.

Of course, if I do stay in one place for a long time, then teaching English or working at bars/restaurants is always a good option...

Same with fruit picking...

I'd skip drug dealing and pig slaughtering for now :P

... Freelance yeah sounds good but i dont know graphic design and can't think of anything I could offer online.. but ima give it a though

And buying bulk and selling at stall is good, I just can't think of what to buy/sell. I guess it would depend on the town/city im in.

Anyway, thanks again! keep them coming :3

Spend a few months ina country teaching English. On the side do some private tutoring (they say not to but everyone does). I did it for a year in Japan. i got put in a dump of a country town, so after 3 months I quit and just travelled to Tokyo & worked doing tutoring. I got better pay, i also sometimes just asked for lessons in Japanese instead of money which was equally as useful and until my pay got enough to rent I just couch surfed or slept in capsule hotels. Unless you have a trade skill getting any work outside of hospitality or maybe supermarket packing will limit your ability to go whenever you feel the urge.

A trade skill is much more handy, you can just get a short term job being a sparky/plumber etc. or even work on cars etc.