Trance2MoveU

PJ7uNpT.jpg

Artist: Shakta

Title: Retroscape

Label: Suntrip

Date: November, 2014

1. Somaton - Ouroboros

2. Somaton - Brainwashed (Shakta & Ping Pong Remix)

3. Shakta - It Was Not Human

4. Somaton - Fearful Symmetry

5. Somaton - Principles of Gravity

6. Shakta - Amber Mantra

7. Shakta - Indra's Net

8. Shakta - Cosmic Trigger

9. Shakta - Solar Origins

10. Shakta - Misra Indica

11. Somaton - Dredlarks

NsxzTpD.gif

ueB5Mxi.gif

Jrcbf1M.gif

AoaXk1W.gif

OQT4KpR.gif

THr67XM.gif

I mean do I really need to say how brilliant this release is? How the melodies swirl and the 303's growl like a pack of lions? It's powerful goa trance from back in the day from Seb Taylor who is a cornerstone of our favorite genre. Whether it's as Shakta or Somaton it's blistering layered goa trance at an unrelenting pace. Vinyl only, hard to find, or unreleased tracks that will put holes in your wall when you turn it up. This goes right up there with Etnica Live in Athens and Flight 604 Chapter II and the Dimension 5 stuff for me.

Absolutely stunning and a must have.

Suntrip

Psyshop

Beatspace

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been playing this a lot lately and it really is the business! Can never have enough Shakta / Somaton tunes in your collection.

Shakta's Silicon Trip was one of the first Goa CDs I bought and I've been a big fan of all Seb's work since. :D

Great old Shakta sound. Not much else to say. Best tracks It Was Not Human, Principles Of Gravity, Indra's Nest, Cosmic Trigger and the incredible Solar Origins. I actually can't believe the last one was completely hidden all this time, it's so psychedelic, one of the best of old school. Thanks Suntrip.

One thing I wonder is why is Fearful Symmetry here? It was released on Destination Goa 6 and it sounded fine there. :P

• 3 weeks later...

So few reviews.. This is so old school with new production sounding!

Initially the first 3 tracks did nothing for me. It was Fearful Symmetry, a track I never heard before that won my attention. I never heard any of these tracks before.

From track 4, I was hooked. More great numbers include: Indra's Net (!) Cosmic Trigger, Solar Origins (!)... I love this stuff. My excitement just wasn't there on the first 2-3 songs. Some tracks have many nice sounds but don't go above and beyond, lack magic, etc. For instance, I love the ambient notes in Amber's Mantra, but little else arrests my attention. Having said that, 11 tracks at nearly 80 minutes is a very good thing, especially when there's no bad songs and more than half of the album's great. Sure if you're an old school fan you'll appreciate this more. Some people fairly new to Goa will probably love some of the work here too, its intricacy and creativity. Retroscape, though not perfect is a very good album and one of 2014's best releases in Goa Trance.

Favorites: 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Samples

http://suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD34/

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd034.html

http://www.beatspace.com/8344/Suntrip+Records/SHAKTA/Retroscape/detail.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent album, a piece of remastered gold. A lot of folks tend to pair this up with the Moonweed "Voice of Jupiter" release, maybe because they are both remastered collections, maybe because they were both released at around the same time, maybe because Shakta makes a guest appearance on that album.

"Voice of Jupiter" gets a little too intense, too over-the-top for my tastes. "Retroscape" is pure gold, though, a wild ride, for sure, but a damn fine one, too!

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been much into Shakta, despite giving him plenty of listens. It's great music live, but for home listening I just find the basslines too disharmonic and distracting from the overall flow and feel.

That trend continues here for me. I like Cosmic Trigger and Misra Indica a little bit more over the rest, but still nothing to go crazy over with... and I've tried! :D

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've never been much into Shakta, despite giving him plenty of listens. It's great music live, but for home listening I just find the basslines too disharmonic and distracting from the overall flow and feel.

That trend continues here for me. I like Cosmic Trigger and Misra Indica a little bit more over the rest, but still nothing to go crazy over with... and I've tried! :D

Same, I always found most of his tracks bland with something missing, you may be into something when mentioning the basselines.

A good illustration is Lepton Head 3, sounds pale compared to the terrific remix by Deedrah.

Retroscape is still decent, it is far from bad but I can't get excited over Shakta in general.

Indra's net was already my favorite from Shakta before, and this is the track I like the most in this album.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Misra Indica still kicks ass, I wonder why Arsim On Acid wasn't included? It would have been a good fit I think. :)