Psy-trance & Ego

Anoebis

What's wrong with a guy giving a show? This is what I like so much about guys like Eskimo as well (apart from te actual music :P)... if the liveset is fake as fuck, the least they can do is moving around as crazy and making themselves visible for the audience, imo it definetely gives positive vibes and creates a way better mood than the kind of dj 'priests' that stand like trees behind their table and don't even look up for a sec!

Conclusion: imo it has nothing to do with ego, and the way you are giving a show probably depends more on your confidence, attitutde, and whatsoever...

• Like 2

Nothing is wrong with the guy. But this is not live. We must find new terms for this art of presentation. The guy should not announce as an live act, but as a dance act.

On the flyer:

Paranormal Attack (Dance to his music)

or

Paranormal Attack (giving a show)

but NOT

Paranormal Attack (Live)

maybe

Paranormal Attack (Live Dance)

or

Paranormal Attack (with aerobic)

:D

What's wrong with a guy giving a show?

With that is nothing wrong, but, a "live act" or an "act" that presses play and is jumping in FRONT of the stage... naaah, I can't stand that. Even if I would love the music, I would go into my own world so I wouldn't have to see it...

I think an artist should "at least" bring a midi controller and try to add some stuff live, the more the better... A dj can't do what you see on the video anyway. I agree there has to be contact with the public tho... :) Not sure it has to be that way... :P

Oh, I didn't get that it wasn't about the show he was giving but about the fact he didn't play live at all. Well, in the latter case, I already stated that it's definetely 'fake as fuck' :D ...still I feel like the show he's giving is somehow compensating the lack of live-manipulation of music, so, in that way, it's better than nothing. :P in...a...cheap...way... :D lulzzzzz

I would love if flyers would specify stuff like 'dance to his music/aerobic' or whatever, that would be totally awesome :P

Well, even if he is not playing live he did make the live-mix that is playing (at least I hope so :D;)) and it's his music so why not have some fun with it. I rather have somebody just pressing a button and then his pre-set music is playing and rocking instead of a real live-gig that sucks. But of course having a real gig with rocking music would be the thing to do. I also fail to see why some live acts don't even care to add some live twists to the stuff. I mean even some simple knob twisting could do the trick and alter the tracks.

I also think the behaviour has to be linked to a ego which is too big. It could be but I don't know anything about the guy so I'm not able to judge.

A dj can't do what you see on the video anyway.

I haven't seen the whole video but I would be able to DJ (if the tracks I choose are long enough of course) and get in front of the stage and play the clown for the crowd if I would want to. It's also possible to run to the toilets or get a drink even when you are doing live-mixing without a traktor programm and its controller.

as i've said before, aritsts/djs should never be at the center of attention (imho not even at the center of the stage or the stage at all). the music should be, together with the people. then comes the decoration/visuals.

anything else produces clap-your-hand-when-i-say-so moments and star-attitudes. i don't want to cheer at the artist and i hate the artist telling me when to cheer (the sad thing is that producers often even adjust the music to make room for that).if the music is good i will be lost dancing anyway and if it's not i'd rather see someone else playing than seeing some kind of animation program to get me dancing. it's a trance party and not an all-inclusive club holiday.

ideally it should look something like this: goa gil playing in goa 1999

he was the star dj at the time and stands somewhere in a corner while no one really pays attention to him. this is also reflected by how so little time in the video is devoted to him. the focus is on the party indead.

if you want to see the other extreme, look for videos of skrillex playing at tomorrowland. we have to be careful that the psy scene doesn't devolve into something like that.

• Like 1

If you want to dance, use your body , not your head ! :P

There are many great dancers who have spent their lives practicing and learning and developing their talents. I don't think "use your body, not your head" is advice that they'd value. Perhaps that's precisely what's wrong with goa/psy dancers: that they don't use their heads. When you shut off your brain, maybe do some drugs, and jump around flailing your arms like an idiot, you have taken "dancing" back to the realm of the monkeys rather than the human art form with the same name.

I'm not disputing that it's an ecstasy for you to do this. Similarly, it's an ecstasy for heroin addicts to shoot up. Decency would suggest that you don't do that in public and that you shouldn't be proud of such moments. But we're might be speaking a completely different language here. What value do I imagine that you have for decency? Likely as little as I have for "letting myself go" unrestrained. :-)

Dancing to psytrance is about feeling the music and reacting to it however it takes you. It's about freedom to move how you please, not to strut your stuff and impress with stylish moves. It makes no difference if drugs are involved or not.

I think the point is being missed here - or maybe just trolling... <_<

• Like 1

As far as the video in the original post goes - yeah, that's way o.t.t! Not what I want to see at all (or hear!)

The way I look at it, going mental to your own music is more of an ego trip than a DJ getting carried away - at least the DJ is celebrating his love of other peoples' work and sharing it, hoping to get the crowd to love the music too. Going nuts to your own tunes is a bit too rockstar, "aren't I awesome?" (I'm aware this view may not be universally accepted. ;) )

Since Goa Trance listeners and musicians idolize India and Hinduism so much, I think it might be sobering and enlightening to see how they treat dance:

These are truly talented dancers who dedicate their lives to it, not for "ego", but just because that's how they've chosen to express themselves. They talk about forgetting their body and intense concentration. This is practically the opposite of your principle of using your body and forgetting your head (aka being an ape). It's ironic that our music and culture is supposedly inspired by them, yet we clearly lack their strength or talent and are happy to indulge ourselves like wild animals without a sense of discipline or decency.

These are truly talented dancers who dedicate their lives to it, not for "ego", but just because that's how they've chosen to express themselves. They talk about forgetting their body and intense concentration. This is practically the opposite of your principle of using your body and forgetting your head

I agree with that part - but as they are "practically opposite" practices, I don't see why they should be compared. One is training yourself to use dance as an artform - the other is letting yourself be carried along with tribal rhythms to enduce a blissful state of trance. Both have their place IMO.

I never undestood this kind of stuff... BUT, more important, people go crazy about it. So I am wondering, imagine you were there (and you liked the music) would you like that kind of artist behaviour or not?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=903742642983444

That is not psytrance, it's chees :wacko: i do crazy dancing on my sets as you know... but this is too commercial...

I've never understood people dancing to goa/psy music at all. They flail their arms around and stomp like wild animals and it all looks quite idiotic and indecent to the outside world.

There are not moves you have to learn or how you should dance. You dance as you like or as music drives you... that is pure FREEDOM and thats what i really love on trance parties.

And i don't give a fuck what outside world will think... i only care what people i love have to say. Im not ashamed of that, im PROUD to show to other people videos of trance parties and trance people, all different but all free and happy. So i prefer dirt and wild animals stomps instead of 'put your hands up', 'let me take a selfie' and club hipsterism. And yeah... scream like horny student virgin!

This my point :)

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

I don't care what people say. I am 100% with Anoebis. There'a absolutely no trance or psy to be found in these "live-acts". It's all ego and starstruck mediocrity!

His music and the way he act just goes against everything this scene (psytrance/Goa/trance) was build upon!

• Like 2

Well if youre not happy about pressing play and it all being called live act then I agree with you on that.

However, if its against a guy having little fun on the stage then Im not against it, nothing about ego unless he felt like "Im gunna kill them all with my killargh tune and badass dance moves OMG!"

I don't care what people say. I am 100% with Anoebis. There'a absolutely no trance or psy to be found in these "live-acts". It's all ego and starstruck mediocrity!

His music and the way he act just goes against everything this scene (psytrance/Goa/trance) was build upon!

I dont know nothing about the guy in video, so could you please elaborate what kind of opinion you have about him and what is it based on?

Also, what exactly was this psy scene built upon, no drugs, no sex, no fun, just pure PLUR? I mean, even back then there obviously should have been ego trippers as well, every part of society have such individuals.

If you think someones an ego tripper and doesnt quite correlate to what the scene is all about(even if theres only one person left in the whole scene staying "true" to the very spirit of the scene, whatever that spirit be) then what about just calling him a poser and be done with it, I mean, its(psy) in your mind, your heart and surely such posers shouldnt ruin it for you, should they?

if you want to see the other extreme, look for videos of skrillex playing at tomorrowland. we have to be careful that the psy scene doesn't devolve into something like that.

People have scared each other with these horror stories about psy turning into this, into that and still its alive and kicking, fear not, it wont die off as long you value it dearly and seek for more than just drugged up stomping in the music.

There are many great dancers who have spent their lives practicing and learning and developing their talents. I don't think "use your body, not your head" is advice that they'd value. Perhaps that's precisely what's wrong with goa/psy dancers: that they don't use their heads. When you shut off your brain, maybe do some drugs, and jump around flailing your arms like an idiot, you have taken "dancing" back to the realm of the monkeys rather than the human art form with the same name.

I'm not disputing that it's an ecstasy for you to do this. Similarly, it's an ecstasy for heroin addicts to shoot up. Decency would suggest that you don't do that in public and that you shouldn't be proud of such moments. But we're might be speaking a completely different language here. What value do I imagine that you have for decency? Likely as little as I have for "letting myself go" unrestrained. :-)

Those dancers are academic dancers or what you call them, doesnt matter what you call them, they learn some kind of traditional form of dance be it very strict or more freestyle form of some art of dance, but its restricted to some sort of system.

System of psy trance music the way I see it is dancing the music makes you to, no borders, only music and your sense of freedom, perhaps oneness with the universe it the limiting/unlimiting factor.

As far as the video in the original post goes - yeah, that's way o.t.t! Not what I want to see at all (or hear!)

The way I look at it, going mental to your own music is more of an ego trip than a DJ getting carried away - at least the DJ is celebrating his love of other peoples' work and sharing it, hoping to get the crowd to love the music too. Going nuts to your own tunes is a bit too rockstar, "aren't I awesome?" (I'm aware this view may not be universally accepted. ;) )

Yeah, agree, loving ones own music to the point where you go extatic on the stage to it, is over the top, its IMO ego tripping.

And dont start about music being ones brainchild and thus loving it like ones child, its not a child, its your creating but not a kid so its obviously different than loving your own child.

Since Goa Trance listeners and musicians idolize India and Hinduism so much, I think it might be sobering and enlightening to see how they treat dance:

These are truly talented dancers who dedicate their lives to it, not for "ego", but just because that's how they've chosen to express themselves. They talk about forgetting their body and intense concentration. This is practically the opposite of your principle of using your body and forgetting your head (aka being an ape). It's ironic that our music and culture is supposedly inspired by them, yet we clearly lack their strength or talent and are happy to indulge ourselves like wild animals without a sense of discipline or decency.

I would like to see them dancing to forest psy for example, can you arrange that?

Also, would you mind posting general guidelines for people how to dance to psychedelic trance?

Yeah, agree, loving ones own music to the point where you go extatic on the stage to it, is over the top, its IMO ego tripping.

And dont start about music being ones brainchild and thus loving it like ones child, its not a child, its your creating but not a kid so its obviously different than loving your own child.

I very much disagree on you with this point. If you think that dancing to music can be entrancing, then why not with making music? In an audience, I love it to see an artist whose body language is totally in line with the feel and power of the music he or she creates at that very moment... Now don't make me post a Jimi Hendrix video!

But this has nothing to do with the video that Anoebis posted imo, that stuff is just easy music for easy people. But live and let live I guess...

However, if its against a guy having little fun on the stage then Im not against it, nothing about ego unless he felt like "Im gunna kill them all with my killargh tune and badass dance moves OMG!"

i absolutely don't have a problem with someone having fun on the stage.

imba for sure does have fun and it's completely normal for my understanding of psy. cosmosis even puts up some kind of show on the stage, and although i don't approve of the latter, he's having fun, doesn't take himself too seriously and most importantly doesn't celebrate himself; so this is fine too.

People have scared each other with these horror stories about psy turning into this, into that and still its alive and kicking, fear not, it wont die off as long you value it dearly and seek for more than just drugged up stomping in the music.

System of psy trance music the way I see it is dancing the music makes you to, no borders, only music and your sense of freedom, perhaps oneness with the universe it the limiting/unlimiting factor.

if you look at some video from the more commercial acts in the psy scene with both - the old video from goa and skrillex - in mind, you'll definitely notice in which direction we're moving. at the bigger festivals you sometimes even have people waving flags of their countries instead of dancing. but at least for the less popular subgenres and the smaller parties i'll agree that we're still miles away and won't see anything close to skrillex soon.

that's a nice way to say it :)

I very much disagree on you with this point. If you think that dancing to music can be entrancing, then why not with making music? In an audience, I love it to see an artist whose body language is totally in line with the feel and power of the music he or she creates at that very moment...

But this has nothing to do with the video that Anoebis posted imo, that stuff is just easy music for easy people. But live and let live I guess...

of course. i regularly trance out to my own tunes when i'm working at them. but the thing is, they artists we are talking about are not making music on stage.

Also, would you mind posting general guidelines for people how to dance to psychedelic trance?

1. Stomp around.

2. Flail your arms around.

3. Shake your dreadlocks around.

Hah, just kidding.

I see what you did there. There are no guidelines for anything except what we make of them. There are no guidelines as to whether a DJ is allowed to dance on stage, for instance (or even to throw a speaker at the audience). It's all moral guidelines that we create and elect to follow.

Anoebis' moral argument is that DJs should act respectable and not place themselves in the foreground. My moral argument is that both the DJs and the audience should act respectable and not "let themselves go wild" to the music, or place themselves (their egos) in the foreground and on display. Probably most people on here don't share my moral value and some don't share Anoebis' either.

At bottom it's a question of respect and discipline. Some people don't care about those and just want everyone to be happy and free, whatever that means to them. Others care to varying degrees and want to act in a restrained and controlled manner, to have self-control and to use their brain rather than just their body.

I don't care what people say. I am 100% with Anoebis. There'a absolutely no trance or psy to be found in these "live-acts". It's all ego and starstruck mediocrity!His music and the way he act just goes against everything this scene (psytrance/Goa/trance) was build upon!

You must be joking? Seriously? Says you who has been on about "me me me" for the last at least decade shunting how awesome you are but how this scene has not treated you fairly. You ranted and raved, you attacked anyone who dared questioned you (and if you check Isratrance you still do this). You swore to leave this scene permantly. You then pretended to want to give back by offering your music for free but then retracted that. you cursed the scene again because you did not get more paid gigs for offering your music for free. You did nothing at all to improve the issues you had with the scene but continue to be a know-it-all telling everyone how the music should be. You're one of the biggest egotistical ignorants this scene had had and your statement above proves what a ridiculous hypocrite you are. This scene was so much better off without you. Go back to making your sub-par house.

You must be joking? Seriously? Says you who has been on about "me me me" for the last at least decade shunting how awesome you are but how this scene has not treated you fairly. You ranted and raved, you attacked anyone who dared questioned you (and if you check Isratrance you still do this). You swore to leave this scene permantly. You then pretended to want to give back by offering your music for free but then retracted that. you cursed the scene again because you did not get more paid gigs for offering your music for free. You did nothing at all to improve the issues you had with the scene but continue to be a know-it-all telling everyone how the music should be. You're one of the biggest egotistical ignorants this scene had had and your statement above proves what a ridiculous hypocrite you are. This scene was so much better off without you. Go back to making your sub-par house.

+11

I also thought the goa/psy scene is all about freedom and tolerance, not about complying to a set of rule someone defines for you.. someone complaining about that the DJ doesn't do what he is supposed to do when playing psy is kind of weird... turn around and look at the backdrop on the other side of the floor if you don't like the DJs face and your problem is solved.

anyhow.. psy DJs are still quite "normal" if you compare to other genres XD