Psy dying? Thx to u guys

kartoonz

I have noticed that newbies dont get a lot of help here. When we ask for recommendations or help there is hardly any replies. And then there is all the cry of Psy is dying and blah blah blah.. Well u guys have so much knowledge and can help new guys in exploring a lot of new options in psy, but no! So many thread go unreplied and ignored! Well u guys will get the time to read this and bash me all you like but it's the truth and i dont care what you say to justify. Thing is knowledge shared helps grow the genre but here it's completely ignored!

we are a small community, with many of us not having lots of free time and most of us being goa freaks.

so when you ask about music that's similar to both laughing buddha - sacred technology (which i find to be decent fullon and kinda typical for the uk-sound and of course nano records) and alien project - activation portal (an album i don't know well, because for me it's cheesy unimaginative isreali fullon. i know the first few alien project albums much better and his music got progressively weaker with time.), i really have no idea what to recommend and rather leave the field for others more knowledgable who might also actually like the alien project album and see similarities between the two albums other than both being fullon.

there really is a lot of fullon out there with most of it sounding like everything else, while there's still a pretty wide spectrum to be heard over all these years. no one can keep on top of it all or even like it all, so most people tend to "specialize"; that is if they even listen to fullon which a good portion of those on here don't.

if you just ask me about laughing buddha, i'd say look at tristan, amd, avalon or headroom.

but if you ask about alien project i'm a lot less sure and would say go with astrix or gms (who, i'd suspect, you already know, so that's probably not going to helpful...)

Another thing to consider is that a lot of resources are out there already that give tips and guides to psy/goa. But still, it's good to be nice to new folks.,

I don't really see it that way at all man.

I think a lot of people do take the time to recommend stuff actually. More than anywhere else.

Also,

This IS the best resource for discovering good psy/goa music on the net imo thanks to the EPIC reviews section and also the Aritst News Announcements section.

Where else can you dig through thousands of reviews, sorted by year with literally hundreds of pages of reviews?? This place is an absolute gold mine for a newcommer.

There is simply no better way than taking the time to go through those sections yourself and seeing what is similar to what you like or what u might end up liking. Its incredible.

• Like 1

I don't really see it that way at all man.

I think a lot of people do take the time to recommend stuff actually. More than anywhere else.

Also,

This IS the best resource for discovering good psy/goa music on the net imo thanks to the EPIC reviews section and also the Aritst News Announcements section.

Where else can you dig through thousands of reviews, sorted by year with literally hundreds of pages of reviews?? This place is an absolute gold mine for a newcommer.

There is simply no better way than taking the time to go through those sections yourself and seeing what is similar to what you like or what u might end up liking. Its incredible.

I'm pretty sure the review section misses out of 80% of todays trance in all aspects EXCEPT for goa trance and some forest. Moreover most reviews that DO concern fullon, prog, dark, psytrance and hitech are always boiling down to: "it's not good" (which of course reflects the taste of the listener, and that's perfectly fine, but it creates a pretty twisted view of the real psytrance scene out there, which is mostly populated by people who like the aforementioned styles and have, in most cases, barely heard of goa. Just saying this forum is really not representative, in that aspect, imo...).

Agreed with Agneton. The review section is really self-centered on Goa Trance. We lack A LOT of reviews for FIRST CLASS psychedelic music. For instance, we have few reviews in psybient, which may be the most thriving psy-music nowadays. We have a lot of epic psybient music being produced by many prolific artists. The scene also produce many gems in many genres (Electrypnose for darkpsy ; Protonica for progressive ; Aioaska for morning ; Ajja for forest ) and they seem to be quite the forgotten ones in this forum, since they are almost never discussed. It's not that we are close-minded, but it would be cool to gather as well folks from the other shades of the scene.

I knew guys who dislikes Goa because it was too organic for them, but they provided me excellent night-time music, which enlarged my musical universe. I think that this forum can host more than the "Goa-core". We also have the potential to make come people from more diverse horizons that can make psynews more varied and interesting.

• Like 1

Some fair points sure. I agree it could be more diverse in those sections.

However disagree on the "it's not good part"..

If an incredible full on or prog album comes out people here are usually all over it and will often review it. I love good full on and Forest as much as anybody.

The problem though, is exactly that a lot of the releases the last years are indeed, crap. Or people's taste change and mature..or both?

Usually someone has to be quite passionate about something to bother reviewing it.

Look back a few years and u will find reviews of the best forest albums here along with Suomi, full on etc...

Maybe just in the recent years the forum has reverted a bit to mostly goa orientation.

I should probably get off my ass and contribute more reviews then..

This forum has been an absolute wealth of information. The reviews section while dominated by goa is still full of other releases. This site helped me navigate genres and reading reviews inspired me to pen a lot of reviews. Sure I would love it if people commented on every review I made, but that's not why I write them. I consider it giving back to a site dedicated to the music which has given me so much over the last decade.

Don't see a review for an album that you like or may interest you? Here's an idea...write one. More reviewers would help generate more discussion and increase the scope of the review section itself.

Mdk

• Like 2

I can understand the reasoning behind the original post, but it doesn't take into account the review section - which is the best on the net I've come across.

There certainly seems to be a die-hard Goa element in the discussions on here I've noticed, (a lot of who don't even like nu-Goa,) that instantly jump on anything that has little or no melody. I know that's not the whole story, but can see how it might look to newcomers. This is pretty unique, as there's a much reduced interest in Goa Trance on other Psy forums I use.

Psytrance is far from dying, but some people have a hard time accepting some of the new directions it's taking.

• Like 1

Hey man. People are busy and stuff. We aren't responsible for "killing psy." unwarranted harsh words over a lack of replies to one of your threads i take it? Stop pulling and radi and chill out. Everything is ok.

• Like 1

I have noticed that newbies dont get a lot of help here. When we ask for recommendations or help there is hardly any replies. And then there is all the cry of Psy is dying and blah blah blah.. Well u guys have so much knowledge and can help new guys in exploring a lot of new options in psy, but no! So many thread go unreplied and ignored! Well u guys will get the time to read this and bash me all you like but it's the truth and i dont care what you say to justify. Thing is knowledge shared helps grow the genre but here it's completely ignored!

The problem is just that the domain-name is a bit misleading. "Psy" for most ppl means modern Psytrance, the nano/peak/bsm/looney/wildthings/.... kind of sounds, but this forum (or better: a major part of the community) actually is more focused on goa trance. Open a thread about hallucinogen, astral projection, sun records & co and you will get spammed with feedback.

Pretty sure that the number of posts from radi only on such a thread will outnumber the total amount of posts that have been written here about the names from above xD

• Like 1

The problem is just that the domain-name is a bit misleading. "Psy" for most ppl means modern Psytrance, the nano/peak/bsm/looney/wildthings/.... kind of sounds, but this forum (or better: a major part of the community) actually is more focused on goa trance. Open a thread about hallucinogen, astral projection, sun records & co and you will get spammed with feedback.

Pretty sure that the number of posts from radi only on such a thread will outnumber the total amount of posts that have been written here about the names from above xD

conversely, you will almost exclusively find parties/talk about psytrance and not goa if you visit goabase. even if you search for parties tagged "goa trance" there will hardly be any goa ;)

Recommendations aren't bad, but stop being lazy and discovering new music by yourself works too.

And then there is all the cry of Psy is dying and blah blah blah..

What?

I don't know if "psy" is dying or not, but complaining about the way a forum "ticks" is about the most pointless thing one can do, in my opinion. Nobody goes around on the street telling people "man, psy is dying, you need to do something about that, do more about that, spread the word about psy!", but in reality starting a thread like this is not much different from that. People do what they feel like doing on the internet and I doubt anyone comes here with the mindset "I need to keep psy alive, I need to get some (however fashioned) discussion on psynews going" just like the random guy on the street. The "psy"-glass may be as half-empty here as anywhere but at least it's rather half-full than completely empty and that's thanks to the people who are active and participate in whatever way suits their needs and fancies. Sure, complain that the glass could be a little more filled than just to the half, but "psy dies because of you" is completely missing the point, which is already moot all by itself anyway.

• Like 1

Nothing is dying.

As for kartoonz - dont be lazy, search this forum, dont expect that for every track of your liking there will be direct answer as to what else might sound the same or similar!

Start with looking at various compilations with tracks that youre looking similar ones to and start from there.

Really, move your brain, dont be couch potato ;)!

• Like 1

I can't speak for others, but in my case, there wouldn't be any Neogoa without Psynews.

So much great informations can be found just in reviews section(s), not just for goa trance people, but people who are into psychedelic trance and downtempo in general. Yes, it requires a lot of time to browse and read that, but if you want to find/discover something interesting, than give it a try. Many people who are posting here are giving great recommendations and feedback to anybody, especially to new members, but since this is a one of the oldest psytrance dedicated communities, there might be chance that some topics are already been discussed and in that case searching the old ones might be helpful aswell.

Unlike the Isratrance, I found Psynews to be more friendly environment where you can in the end, meet a lot of cool and interesting people, establish a good relationship, discover their musical tastes and usually have a lot of good laugh. It takes some time to get used to Psynews its members, and all the jokes, but when you do, it's great thing and it becomes a small corner on the Internet where you can have a good time. I'm not familiar with a bunch of old, old jokes and members, but I do enjoy this now and I can say this is the best place for someone who appriciate the psychedelic trance music.

Just my 2 cents regarding this subject.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...