Best Sound System you have heard?

Shpongled247

I love goa and psy through anything but hearing it through a proper system can't be beat IMO.

Last weekends Suntrip party in Nottingham really got me thinking about this. The sound there was finally up to my rather high standards! Hah.

(I believe it was a nicely tuned F1 rig?)

What made it in my mind was that it wasn't just a large lump of speakers up front, but rather a more quadraphonic ( not exactly but I'm not sure the terminology?) approach similar to festivals with stacks at the rear and sides also.

For me lately I loved the system at Boom also, really crisp at the time, and loud enough even for my speaker pressing ears..

So what have u heard and loved??

Well, the Soundsystem at the Suntrip party was a Funktion One, as was the one at Boom's dance temple. So yeah, a well tuned F1 system is what you want :)

Also, a club in Helsinki called Dusk & Dawn has a very very good (if I remember correctly) Precision Audio rig that sounds fantastic. I remember Ott praised it after his last gig over here.

Opus, Opus, Opuuuus! Such an underrated sound system. Really crystalline, 'comfortable' sound that is simultaneously heavy as fuck. Plus you can squish into it. :D Still to hear it in quadraphonic set-up... This would be immense.

oh a fellow sufferer :D only bad thing with Opus is that you don't wanna listen to anything else if heard once xD

• Like 1

Another Opus lover here.

The sound system at Bearded Theory Festival's Magical Sounds tent is probably the best I've heard. Never harsh, but plenty loud.

Function 1 also good, but can be a bit wearing on the ears. (I guess it depends on the skills of the sound engineer to get it spot-on.)

I usually listen on hi-fi headphones or reference speakers.

Those big sound systems are usually very bass heavy or distort the music so much that it doesn't even sound the same....

I know what you mean; earphones really are the 'best' in terms of stereo imagery and such. However, Opussszzzs! Hope you get the chance to hear this sound system at some point as it truly is unique. I've never heard I e set up even remotely badly.

Hopefully the party my mate and I are playing at tonight will have an Opus. Never played on one before so that'll be a joy if it happens. :)

I know what you mean; earphones really are the 'best' in terms of stereo imagery and such. However, Opussszzzs! Hope you get the chance to hear this sound system at some point as it truly is unique. I've never heard I e set up even remotely badly.

Hopefully the party my mate and I are playing at tonight will have an Opus. Never played on one before so that'll be a joy if it happens. :)

Hey mate are u playing forest stuff tonight?? :) if so I think it does mention Opus. Have heard their system a few times I think if its the same ppl. Quite nice!

Anyways see ya there perhaps.

I usually listen on hi-fi headphones or reference speakers.

Those big sound systems are usually very bass heavy or distort the music so much that it doesn't even sound the same....

^^ That, is actually the point, that the rarely heard systems we are talking about aren't overpowered by bass.

A lot of psy parties are yeah, but then when you hear one as crystalline and with as good a soundstage as the best set of open cans, it is freakin incredible.

Music has to have space to breathe imo and I love headphones as much as anyone.

Opus, each and every time. Much is in the hands of the engineer with any rig, but my experience is that a well-tuned Opus rig gives me a deeper, more emotional experience than anything else I've heard - certainly more than F1 (and I've played on F1 rigs tuned by Mr. Andrews himself). Something about Opus' all-analog signal path, IMO; nothing else has the bass.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Konemetsä 2007 I think. I don't know what they had, but it was loud but still incredibly clear, and there was bass. Not this over pronounced upper lows or this muddy low end mess, but this springy, responsive sound. I think it was D Nox & Beckers and maybe Ticon... On that system wow!

The worst is when the system clearly just can't push enough low frequencies, so it's built to make this hollow square bass that's supposed to compensate for the lack of real subs.

• 3 weeks later...

I love F1 because the focus is away from the bass. There is enough bass in psytrance for the rig not to need to exentuate it, and where I love a well-tuned F1 is how they let the mids and highs shine as equal stars of the show. Most of the psytrance I like is about melodies and spirals, not just stomping to basslines.

(We have a real problem here in Australia of the bass being up too loud and the balance being all wrong. Sometimes to the point of distortion :( Partly poorly run at parties, but also likely a result of the Australian Bush Progressive sound unique to our country being very bass driven. It is getting better across our scene, but not quickly enough.)

Many people tried to say the rig they used at SUN Festival would be better than F1, but it wasn't. Too loud in general (poorly run at the site) and the balance not quite right.

The best rig I've ever heard was the F1 at Rainbow Serpent 2013. Immaculately tuned, every bit of it perfect. Loud enough to sink in to, not so loud you need ear plugs. Clean distribution across the dancefloor. Just perfect. The only pity was that it spent a lot of the weekend playing techno and prog house, but such is that festival. C'est la vie.

For me lately I loved the system at Boom also, really crisp at the time, and loud enough even for my speaker pressing ears..

Surely a matter of our bodies not being the same, but it was often a bit too loud for me. Especially with the stacks in the middle it was hard to find a spot where I was far enough away from a speaker not to be worried about my long-term hearing. (Although those stacks in the middle were a very fair way to ensure all 25k+ people could hear well.)

When I could find a section where I could go without ear plugs, it was bliss. The 'Turbo Bass' aspect of the new speakers was apparent without losing the other ranges I love F1 for.

(Until the last day where they mangled the balance during the early morning and didn't entirely fix it until Avalon, absolutely ruining Zen Mechanics' set and a few others.)

One of the fullmoon parties in germany where the dj booth was in the middle and the speakers surrounded the booth alternating between left and right.

So when there was a stereo effect it created like a hexagonal pattern which blew my mind.

Also, it was the first time I heard the "speeding up to infinity until the sped up sound becomes the bassline" trick, done by skazi at the time.

One of the fullmoon parties in germany where the dj booth was in the middle and the speakers surrounded the booth alternating between left and right.

So when there was a stereo effect it created like a hexagonal pattern which blew my mind.

Also, it was the first time I heard the "speeding up to infinity until the sped up sound becomes the bassline" trick, done by skazi at the time.

I remember that one, mind blowing indeed :)