Hux Flux - "Circle, Sine, Sound" (Z-Plane Records)

Yeah, other than the singing in #4 Finite Automata; this sounds very Hux Flux-ish and closer to the 2nd album which I prefer. Definitely on my to-buy list for Jan '15!

• 1 month later...

Just ordered this album via preorder on the Z-Plane records website - getting a signed copy - woo!

Looks like general release is gonna happen very soon.. The other Z-Plane records compilation has some heavy hitters on it also - looks like Hux Flux and Logic Bomb are getting along well these days..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is leaking with that special hux flux squeeks and tweaks.

its half full on and half that ravey progressive missing kicks/stupid build ups.

logic bomb remix is the peak of this album imo, but still, the original is way better.

i can listen to this album and still enjoy myself, but i just need to convince myself that

this is not hux flux.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'll just go listen to cryptic crunch, and cry.

Got my copy - I can't agree with the above review, as I find this album highly psychedelic and certainly true to the Hux Flux spirit - there is no selling out here.. Some of the baselines have the full-on style to them but basically this is pure psytrance, and not always very accessible. I agree that the Logic Bomb remix of BYOB is awesome - usually I don't care for remixes but this one is right proper.

--

My main critique of this album is that he puts the melodic breakdowns early in the track rather than building up to them or repeating them.. Tracks like "Tarantula" and "Collapse of the State Vector" have these killer high energy melodies early in the track, but then the second half of the track is just lower energy soundscapes.. This isn't satisfying to me as the listener - if an artist brings an awesome buildup and melodic breakdown early in the track I want to hear it again later on in the track, or at least hear another melodic breakdown.. Either that or just do like Sensient and not have any melodies at all and make it about trippy soundscapes - but don't tease me with some euphoric melodic energy without really delivering a satisfying dose of it.

• 3 weeks later...