Free releases 2014

Dolmot

So I've browsed through common CD stores a few times this year and made a couple of orders, but for some reason I haven't followed the free release side since March or so. I'll probably go through it all at some point, but now I'd like to get started somewhere. A few good releases for background listening while getting stuff done this weekend would be nice. In short, what's been good so far? And if I may ask...

Yes, please:

- title (+optionally label etc.)

- link to the release

- a few words or at least an approximate genre

No thanks:

- YouTube spam

- everything and the kitchen sink

- self-promotion

Cybernetika - Solar Nexus (Ektoplazm)

One of the best releases I've heard on Ektoplazm this year, interesting blend of psychedelic sounds with drum'n bass and breaks with sci-fi motifs.

“In the dark and barren outer reaches of the universe a small group of genetically modified humans made this hostile region their home. Forgotten by most of human civilization, they developed a wealthy and peaceful society. Nine hundred years after last contact they suddenly appeared out of nowhere with technologies far more advanced than we could ever imagine in our wildest dreams. How could such a small group of a few hundred mutants get so far ahead of us? Would it be possible for us to benefit from their knowledge? The answer is both terrifying and promising: yes, it is possible, by connecting human minds in a galaxy-wide overmind, powered by the energy of a billion suns—the Solar Nexus.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Did you find anything?

Yes, and I took notes...but I'm le tired. No time/energy to list everything at once. However, to deliver something, I'll post a few picks per (loose) genre.

Lounge, café jazz and such:

D-Echo Project – A Blend Of Nature

Bioscape – Living Connection

Chaos Control – Miracle Mysterium

Mister Chill’R – Lysergic Lullabies

(added) Xenflex – Waterfall

Well, Cybernetika has become almost a household name here (and nothing wrong with that), but speaking of d&b/breaks, did you check the prolific output of Xenofish and Mellow Sonic?

Xenofish – Lune

Mellow Sonic – Synthetic Intelligence

Mellow Sonic – Cosmic Anomaly

Xenofish – Datastasis

Mellow Sonic – Dreamcatcher

Xenofish & Mellow Sonic – Enhancer

Still not sure whether psychedelic d&b really exists. Futuristic, maybe? Whatever, you can listen to it anyway.

• Like 1

A bit overwhelming, isn't it? :D

I did a year-end review on the Ektoplazm Facebook page... just click on "2014" on the timeline and check out what comes up for the very end of December. There should be about 30 recommendations there (maybe a bit more, I can't be sure) and it's all hand-picked stuff, no favoritism involved.

https://www.facebook.com/ektoplazm