I can't do it anymore...

Shpongled247

I would say General is fine.

ok, will do after these last Boom ones finish today...? I hope ;p

Never heard of S-Range... Seems worth checking out! Where should I start?

;OOO

definitely worth checking out. start with the album "space".

I agree. I love his album '2001' - my favorite track of his is on that one and it is 'Reality Check' - some unique or odd tracks, all which I love. But the 'Space' album is a tad better but I hate to even choose one over the other ;p

ps- message the guy on FB if you really like his music. I did and we had a nice short chat 8) His view on the scene today is fitting here as well ^_-

I Just recently put up my short Filteria clip from S.U.N. festival and MANY more vids. check 'em out ;p btw, would the Visual Promotion area be best for a link to my page or is General Psytrance fine??

this made me think of S-Range and his perfect atmospheric style. My favorite prog artist and sometimes feels like the only one I like (I cant think of another now ;p)

Damn we were both at Ozora this year, dancing like 2 meters from each other but I didn't recognize you. :ph34r:

Damn we were both at Ozora this year, dancing like 2 meters from each other but I didn't recognize you. :ph34r:

we were? how do you know this? ;p are you in one of my Ozora vids? If you are positive you may be in pics I have on FB. I only really caught a few artists each morning or just after noon. Some nights had an artist I wanted to catch. I wasn't too busy with music at Ozora.

we were? how do you know this? ;p are you in one of my Ozora vids? If you are positive you may be in pics I have on FB. I only really caught a few artists each morning or just after noon. Some nights had an artist I wanted to catch. I wasn't too busy with music at Ozora.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-mZh2xl1k

At 4:15, I'm the guy coming from the left. Man I had so much fun, although I hurt my leg in a motorcycle accident before the festival. After 4 days of dancing my right ankle looked like a ball :D

First time for me at Ozora. I was mainly active at daytime and early nighttime...was too tired in the night.

Cool vids, brah! Yeah of course one should choose wisely, but this year at Ozora the weather was a big influence. There was a heavy thunderstorm almost every evening just before nighttime. The dancefloor was soaked and muddy. My friends were not that much into the acts playing during nighttime and I chose to spend the time with them, as that was more important to me than insisting hearing the acts I liked most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-mZh2xl1k

At 4:15, I'm the guy coming from the left. Man I had so much fun, although I hurt my leg in a motorcycle accident before the festival. After 4 days of dancing my right ankle looked like a ball :D

First time for me at Ozora. I was mainly active at daytime and early nighttime...was too tired in the night.

ah cool! That part in the video my German friend I met during the event and camped next to, came up to me and asked if Dick Trevor spotted me with the Green Nuns shirt on. He did right before he pressed play for his music to begin, pointed and said "You again!" since he saw me for hours at the front of the dancefloor at SUN. He later spotted me at Boom and was wearing the same shirt as me ;p Aww moment there haha!!

Im not sure I will be too busy next year with overseas parties. It might just be the ZNA party in Portugal for me that is getting most of us here very goa-horny ;p Maybe there can be a meet-up there.

Im one who just goes right through the mud and puddles ;p If I have some sort of footwear I will try to avoid it unless they get soaked. I was barefoot a lot at Ozora on the dancefloor and would put my slippers or sandals aside.

Kind of on the lines of this thread i suppose, but is anyone from here going to the Nottingham Suntrip UK party here apart from Joske and I??

Its somewhat ironic and my gf cant understand it, that the last time I am going to hear actual Goa trance live before moving back to Australia is in Notttingham and not in Goa. hahaha :s

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the freedom to experience has dropped, captured by society's standards and fashion demands, slowly it enters the only free domain of any rules or obligation.

Everyone afraid to admit that "psychedelic music" has turn from intelligent form of music intro a mind controlling mechanism that serves the drugs.

Very similar methods, and in my perspective - flows side by side.

But it's a phase, eventually those "newcomers" will replace this with something else...same as upgrading their iPhone. ;)

I'm glad this topic has been brought up. My last festivals were Boom and Ozora in the late 2000's. This has been largely due to a turbulent economy/life, but I remember how shocked I was at seeing what negative, mindless, unintelligent, unenlightening drone of sound was going on through the speakers. I grew up with the uplifting complex melodic and hypnotic sounds of 96 - 99, which was and still is the core of what I love in the genre... and coming from that expectation to what met me at the main stages was devastating. On one hand I placed spiritual value and life-outlook in what I felt through early goa, on the other hand I see that reality has truly completely lost the game. Devestating.

I tried to get into it, I tried to feel what these new dark machine gun base and stupid random fart sounds had to offer, but I only felt like I was cheating my self in doing so.
And what about the people? It used to be pure happy spiritually deep people. Now all I saw were zombiefied hooligans on speed and crappy research chemicals.

I truly truly truly want to know WHY?! Just why?! And what the f happened?

I remember I ended up in a negative downwards cycling trip at one point drinking Jack Daniels from the bottle and losing hope. Oh what blessing it was to bathe in the golden warm mental sunset of Jack Daniels. That was truly a savior.

Anyway, ok the festival had it's fun moments, the music had it's glimpses in the early mornings... but come on... these festivals should be about more than small glimpses! But let's not forget the question again... why?! Why did this happen to such a beautiful genre and scene with such bright potential?! Who are these DJ's and producers anyway? Which sewers did these weirdo's suddenly come from and what are they aiming for? What happened to Hallucinogen and Astral Projection? And the likes?

On a brighter note I want to add that Prometheus... is a genius. I learned that at one of these festivals. Dark and mechanic, but oh so brilliant. This is a guy who can make that dark industrial stuff into something TRULY worth while. You want to go on a psychedelic mental trance adventure? Check out Prometheus live... oh holy mother of god! But he does it with soul and integrity... which the scene is rather lacking.
There was another act that struck me as amazing, but still within this kind of dark gobblish Psy, they absolutely blew my mind, "Double R.E.L.", they play with you and your expectations on the dance floor, they play around with the peaks and tensions up-builds on a whole new level and mess with your mind, they have fun with it and they are awesome. Live though... I can't say too much about their studio album. But that genre CAN in some small glimpses be amazing, apparently, but the 99% of it is utter crap and the negative hard drug and dark research chemical attitude around it all is an absolute turn off).

...What has happened to the scene?

Why did this happen to such a beautiful genre and scene with such bright potential?! Who are these DJ's and producers anyway? Which sewers did these weirdo's suddenly come from and what are they aiming for? What happened to Hallucinogen and Astral Projection? And the likes?

What a terribly narrow-minded view. Music evolves. I'd love lots more melodic, goa and proper progressive trance at parties, but hating on other music serves no good. The dark stuff has its place if enough people like it, and time has shown that they do. Some of the dark stuff is superbly written, deeply intricate psychedelic music. The forest night at Lost Theory this year (conveniently after the Suntrip afternoon) was utterly mind-bending, full of superbly produced forward-thinking psy.

The same goes for the generic doof-doof daytime stuff at the big European festivals. It's not always for me, but it became big for a reason - people love it. Hating on it doesn't help.

To the OP Shpongled247, Australia is actually on the up at the moment. The over-dependence on prog has died down a fair bit. It's still there, but not quite what it was, Following in the European footsteps as usual, more pumping, full-on music is becoming the dominant sound again. This isn't entirely great, but it opens the door for variants on music >140bpm so goa has more of a foothold here in Sydney than years, and the melodic stuff is growing down in Melbourne too. There are doors opening. (Sadly I don't know much about Brisbane, but the Earth Freq lineup indicates that bass music is still huuuuge there as it was recently.)

We have goa parties in Sydney once a quarter or thereabouts which have done well this year. Transwave basically sold out in May and Slinky Wizard did well. Green Nuns locked in for 2015 which is always great fun. They're too focussed on old school at the moment but next year you can expect to see more new goa sounds start to creep in bit-by-bit :)

• Like 1

I can say, wholeheartedly that the Suntrip party in the UK this past weekend more than restored my faith, a thousand times over.

All the slogs through the boring prog bog and generic full on marches at other parties amount to nothing after experiencing the sweet succulent sound of goa through a proper system.

Joske and co are doing incredible work spreading goa imo and the love they pour into everything is really palpable. I am really reeeeallly grateful to have been able to experience that!

As for the Australian scene, thats nice Jaza, and good to hear! Once a quarter is better than none at all haha.

Now, I just have to piece my mind back together slightly.

Cheers, franki, Paul Eye, Joske, and PsycheDanic :)

• Like 2

It was a fantastic night, the music was spot-on. I'd almost forgotten how good proper Goa Trance is to dance to. I love (some) other styles of psytrance too, but this party was like a breath of fresh air - took me back to my Spacehopper days! :D
Great to meet Shpongled247, Joske & Paul Eye and nice to see PsycheDanic up from London. :)

Shakti & the rest of the Trancendance crew have been championing the Goa sound in the UK for a while, so it's awesome to have Suntrip on board too!
Hope there's scope for future collaborations.

What a terribly narrow-minded view. Music evolves. I'd love lots more melodic, goa and proper progressive trance at parties, but hating on other music serves no good. The dark stuff has its place if enough people like it, and time has shown that they do. Some of the dark stuff is superbly written, deeply intricate psychedelic music. The forest night at Lost Theory this year (conveniently after the Suntrip afternoon) was utterly mind-bending, full of superbly produced forward-thinking psy.

The same goes for the generic doof-doof daytime stuff at the big European festivals. It's not always for me, but it became big for a reason - people love it. Hating on it doesn't help.

Well, yeah... sorry about my rant and thanks for you answer. I just had to vent on the topic I suppose. I got the answer I was looking for, more or less. Just all an effort at understanding.

By the way. You guys really think progressive has become so mainstream and boring? I never noticed either of these things. Not prog at parties/festivals and neither it being mainstream.

I love me some Liquid Soul... that stuff is amazing... I guess it could be boring if too much of it were played though... I dunno : P

I'm not following the prog releases that much anymore but for me it feels that most tracks sound very similar. Maybe that isn't that much of a surprise since they belong to the same sub-genre but that's not what I mean. Similar beats with similar bass and even similar effects. Like everybody is following a scribt to create the tracks. This music couldn't be farer away from being psychedelic if you ask me (and I used to be a huge fan of prog some years ago). Maybe it's also a local thing but I also feel like parties are more commercial than they used to be. If you go to big events obviously this is what you ask for but also smaller events look like nobody cared too much about the decoration similarly to nobody seems to care that the tracks sound all the same. Liquid Soul used to make very good tracks, I agree about that. Haven't seen him playing lately so I can't tell how he sounds nowadays but the last tracks I checked weren't blowing my mind neither.

On the other hand I might feel that way since I'm used to go out in alternative circles where decoration and a theme for a party is really the thing to do. Where you actually feel people giving their heart into the events they were organising and also into the sets they are playing. Obviously it is very biased to say the organisers of the last few psy parties I've been to are not doing that but I have a hard time not judging people like that after visiting their events and also after seeing what kind of people are attracted by psy nowadays (means I might be an asshole actually, but at least I've stopped going to their parties and doing my own thing instead of only being bitchy...).

• Like 1

I can say, wholeheartedly that the Suntrip party in the UK this past weekend more than restored my faith, a thousand times over.

All the slogs through the boring prog bog and generic full on marches at other parties amount to nothing after experiencing the sweet succulent sound of goa through a proper system.

Joske and co are doing incredible work spreading goa imo and the love they pour into everything is really palpable. I am really reeeeallly grateful to have been able to experience that!

As for the Australian scene, thats nice Jaza, and good to hear! Once a quarter is better than none at all haha.

Now, I just have to piece my mind back together slightly.

Cheers, franki, Paul Eye, Joske, and PsycheDanic :)

Thanks guys! It was fun for sure, a small Psynews Gathering in the middle of the UK!!! :)

It was a great event musicalwise for sure... loved it! :) see you next time!!! :)

• Like 1