I can't do it anymore...

Shpongled247

"Psytrance" parties that is...

In general, I am speaking about London parties right now.

Over the last almost two years we have been here I have developed a distaste for what a lot of people call psytrance.. :(

Predominantly full on and progressive parties just do nothing for me anymore and it actually kind of makes me sad :/

When we first got here I was so excited and enthusiastic about the multitude of parties to choose from almost every weekend.. But after a while the shine faded and I am having to accept that it is just not the music I like :(

I can't find anything psychedelic in a drop or break every few minutes, let alone trance inducing...

Last weekends GMS earthdance party really set this in for me... I thought maybe, just maybe I could enjoy it. But I couldn't, there were no melodies, they played a tonne of cheesy newer stuff rather than their at least somewhat psychedelic stuff...

I don't know if this is just a phase or? I felt the same way at Boom except when goa was playing for 6 hours or so.

Whadya reckon? Has this happened to anyone else? I still love good, Melodic full on, but it is just never played..

Anyway, we move to Goa in December, hopefully it is not the same deal there.. (I am well aware it may be and not expecting to hear goa trance, that's not why we are going!)

well all my friends who've been at the last few Goa seasons say the same thing sadly. It's why I gave up going to Psy gigs a few years back here in Australia. Right now I'm enjoying a resurgence in the melodic techno sound in that scene & go to those gigs (Digweed is playing in a month & he always plays great melodic techno). Isn't like Belgium the place for Goa Trance?

Well, yeah Belgium is indeed the place for goa trance I'd say, and was lucky enough to be at the Suntrip anniversary party there and it was amazing for me.

Goa is just a (few month long/until the pounds run out, hah) stopover on the way home to Aus from our working holiday in the UK. Hopefully get to explore India a bit as we have never been anywhere near there! :)

NOT looking forward to coming back to the reality of the Australian psytrance scene whene we eventually return to the "real world"...

i feel you.

>90% of recent psytrance neither deserves to be called "psy" nor "trance".

to be honest, i don't bother anymore most of the time. the only fun party i was at since balkan goa fanatics was a dnb party where they played only vinyl from around 10 years ago. in two weeks i'll try if acid techno is still good and go to see chris liberator.

Well said!!! It is exactly the same thing for me (i live in Sweden)

I only go to parties when goatrance (or forestrance) is playing!

Progressive and fullon and fucking shit like this is NOT psychedelic...

...it suck bigtime and i dont understand how people can enjoy it.

Last party i went to was s.u.n. festival (where there was a whole day of goa)

and i dont expect to go to any parties in the near future until the

ZNA Festival in Portugal in August!!

last time I was in Goa was in 2004. Even then I found it a pretty sad scene sound wise, but the vibe was a+!! Don't expect much & enjoy the culture etc. you won't be disappointed. Yes Aussie scene is pretty rubbish. If you're ever in Melbourne send me a PM. Can say hi.

Yeah, I've been feeling like that for years. I don't really go to parties anymore unless I'm playing (mostly at the chillout) as I refuse to pay for this crap they're playing these days. But still, parties are a good way to meet people and make connections so I'm not quitting entirely just yet :)

Anyway, we move to Goa in December, hopefully it is not the same deal there.. (I am well aware it may be and not expecting to hear goa trance, that's not why we are going!)

I was there in december 2012 and all thay played was lifeless monotonous darkpsy and some prog.

and i dont expect to go to any parties in the near future until the

ZNA Festival in Portugal in August!!

Suntrip 10th anniversary in Helsinki? :)

Long live Belgium :)

No sadly it's true,i went to some festivals this summer and it really started to bother me...always the same repetitive very predictable full on music.. the exact same loop, the exact same breaks, some 'climax' ...next song...and you know what? it's like the same song as before!!

I'am so glad i live in Belgium were most of the people seems to be over the hype of full on music...(Not that there is no good full on music!)

But it really evolved in some clubby atmosphere (read: smoke machines, laser efx, ...) That breaks sooooo hard the atmosphere of blacklight and beautiful deco as before...

Thank you Belgium for your oldskool mind :) :)

Well, I had that feeling during YEARS (2001-2005), and after that the goa-trance boom took off in Belgium, so I was happy ever since. Lately I have the feeling there are tons of good parties actually. 2014 was the best year for me since 2000 I think. There are goa-parties every weekend, somewhere in the world. (mostly Belgium - Israel of course) but Spain, Kroatia, Switzerland, Germany, Brasil,... have goa parties too :)

What I advice in your case Michael... Try to do small parties yourself with the right music? I am sure Shakti Transcendance will be willing to help. She is a goa fanatic and lives not so far from London. You can change the things yourself for sure! :)

But lets start with the good news, the 8th of november there is a pure goa-party, 1.5 drive from London!

Line up:

Shakta Live

Dimension 5 Live

Nebula Meltdown Live

Anoebis

Jim Appleton

Shakti

Venue:

The Marcus Garvey Ballroom

Lenton Boulevard

Nottingham

NG7 2BY

• Like 1

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the Earthdance party.

I know Shakti from Trancendance put a lot of effort into it and it looks like it got some very good responses on Facebook. I've seen some photos and video clips and it looked like there was a great atmosphere there... but - I'm afraid I wouldn't have enjoyed it much either... GMS & 1200 Mics? No thanks. I'm amazed anyone still likes this cheesey nonsense. GMS may have been good once, back in the 90s, but 1200 Mics - a joke band surely?

A lot of the music played local to me doesn't excite me much either, but there are a few exceptions.

Triplicity in particular have been putting on some excellent mini-festivals near the Welsh border, with main stage music that runs through from Breaks & laid back Techno, through Zenonesque Prog, Full-On, Twilight, Forest, Darkpsy and Hi-tech. That works well for me!

There are some London nights that appeal too - the Parvati / Psynon night 7th November looks amazing but it's the night before the Suntrip 10 Year Anniversary party (where I will be for sure!) in Nottingham and I can't manage both!

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

There are still parties and Festivals worth visiting.

This one is a benefit party to help Gaza financially after the bombings.

Elysium and OOOD will perform there among a lot of diverse music. Gonna be great :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/546171395508622

And do not forget the biggest ever old-school GOA and Psytrance Festival to happen next year in Portugal (Portugal is very much happening when it comes to Goa). One artist or DJ is announced every Monday. I know the full lineup and mark my word. Never before has so many pioneers of Goa and psytrance played together in the same Festival.

https://www.facebook.com/events/247310845428889

• Like 1

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

From what I have heard it the same sadly. Machinegun basslines and fart sounds and commercial pop-trance.

i feel you.

>90% of recent psytrance neither deserves to be called "psy" nor "trance".

to be honest, i don't bother anymore most of the time. the only fun party i was at since balkan goa fanatics was a dnb party where they played only vinyl from around 10 years ago. in two weeks i'll try if acid techno is still good and go to see chris liberator.

It's basically the same for me. Of course there are the acts who play neo-goa trance but the majority of music at parties doesn't fall into that category. Because of that it's been something like two years since the last party for me. On one hand I miss "real" psy a lot. On the other hand there is lots of music from other genres that I really enjoy (progressive, techno, deep house...) so there is no real reason to be sad. Similar to Anoebis I had the same feeling around 2001 when the minimal/progressive wave hit psy/goa. A bit later full-on came and I was back in the game. Maybe something similar will happen. But if not, there's other music to enjoy.

Join the club. Stopped going to parties in 2006. I guess this is the general feeling all over not just in India . the crowd is ,well , different , the music too plain . I do go for the occasional party, went for LOUD two weeks and had a ball. Primarily because we bumped into the right people ;) It was an indoor followed by an outdoor at a secret location , .but guess what they were playing heavy twilight and no variation in the music and no melodies at the outdoor so left soon.

Like anoebis said organise your own , easier said than done , but there are people doing it so its not like it cant be done!

Im planning to be in goa too in december . Hope to bump into you if im there.....

for this "modern psytrance" - I feel you there too. Sun, Ozora and Boom had a good chunk of this. More at Boom and Ozora which kept me being elsewhere most of the event. So many drops in the progressive and breakdowns in both genres. The sound is all similar to one another. Some have said it all sounded the same 10 years ago during the full-on golden age but I will fight against that. The classic psy from 03/04 and its bits in 02 & 05 were phenomenal! I wish that to be played at parties. From the morning to the early twlight of those years. That music is now older than the goa was at those years ;O So thats why I call it classic psy 8))

like the Goatranch parties, I want a festival to pretend its the year 2004 again. I'd be so excited I might buy two entry tickets hahah!

ZNA next summer is my aim. I will try only for this one unless I can catch certain artists elsewhere in relative distance or time at other festivals.

Well, I had that feeling during YEARS (2001-2005), and after that the goa-trance boom took off in Belgium, so I was happy ever since. Lately I have the feeling there are tons of good parties actually. 2014 was the best year for me since 2000 I think. There are goa-parties every weekend, somewhere in the world. (mostly Belgium - Israel of course) but Spain, Kroatia, Switzerland, Germany, Brasil,... have goa parties too :)

What I advice in your case Michael... Try to do small parties yourself with the right music? I am sure Shakti Transcendance will be willing to help. She is a goa fanatic and lives not so far from London. You can change the things yourself for sure! :)

But lets start with the good news, the 8th of november there is a pure goa-party, 1.5 drive from London!

Line up:

Shakta Live

Dimension 5 Live

Nebula Meltdown Live

Anoebis

Jim Appleton

Shakti

Venue:

The Marcus Garvey Ballroom

Lenton Boulevard

Nottingham

NG7 2BY

Haha Joske :P Have already booked our hotel in Nottingham and trains for the suntrip party man! Of course! :) See you there one last time for quite a while my friend.

As for the rest well, maybe when I get back to australia I can do my own stuff but I know how hard it is. And for some reason australia is quite "anti shanti" in a way and definitely anti goa... I have some friends putting on big festivals though and if I pay they might let me get some goa like Filteria over for a change :-)

Guess I just really needed to vent, I love the scene and what it means to me and what it can be, but when you aren't feeling the music it's hard to feel anything at all. Needless to say, looking forward to the event Joske :)

Cheers guys for letting me realise I'm not the only one.. My gf says I'm jaded but frankly I never liked mediocre psytrance, only the best of the best! (To my taste) as that is what the psychedelic experience demands.

• Like 1

Same is the case with all Goa/psy fans , deprived of good melodic Goa/psy.

Do not expect any kind of good Goatrance/Psytrance in Goa. The holy land is filled with Psycore/Hi Tech! If u lucky u'll manage to find some places in Anjuna with good ambient in the afternoon where u can have a few beers admiring the peaceful oceans. Sad scenes everywhere in India. The only good thing I attended here was Matsuri Nights! Dj Tyuoshi Suzuki is a class act. Thank god for that event. After that couple of depressing psycore parties and I called it the end too. 😞

I've made the same experience, even though - unfortunately - I wasn't there back in the day to witness the golden years of either Goa or Psy, so I guess I missed it all. Still, on rare occasions, there may be a DJ who plays some of the more atmospheric and melodic Progressive tunes (usually, those DJs play early in the evening when nobody's there except myself :D) - it still has little to do with Goa or Psy, but at least it's Trance and I can dance to it for a while. Actually I started a similar thread last year: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php/topic/66474-present-day-psygoa-parties-puzzle-me/

goa like Filteria over for a change :-)

I Just recently put up my short Filteria clip from S.U.N. festival and MANY more vids. check 'em out ;p btw, would the Visual Promotion area be best for a link to my page or is General Psytrance fine??

there may be a DJ who plays some of the more atmospheric and melodic Progressive tunes

this made me think of S-Range and his perfect atmospheric style. My favorite prog artist and sometimes feels like the only one I like (I cant think of another now ;p)

I Just recently put up my short Filteria clip from S.U.N. festival and MANY more vids. check 'em out ;p btw, would the Visual Promotion area be best for a link to my page or is General Psytrance fine??

I would say General is fine.

this made me think of S-Range and his perfect atmospheric style. My favorite prog artist and sometimes feels like the only one I like (I cant think of another now ;p)

Never heard of S-Range... Seems worth checking out! Where should I start?