Feedback on a Demo

Well, not really a demo but just something I made.

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/desysko-tribe-of-bounce

I realize that there are some things that do need work on like more variety and stuff like that (and not accidentally touching the volume knob, haha).

But I just want to ask for some feedback. Thanks for any that do.

Thanks!

Also, those who like to do things with synthesizers and have other folks see them, we have a subreddit on reddit called /r/synthesizer and on (now) Saturdays, we have a post where we share our stuff, give feedback, whatever. Here's this weeks: http://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/2g9zxa/soundcloud_saturday/.

Here's what I pretty much had to say about my track:

I wanted to make something like the 90s Goa stuff so I tried making an intro with a typical vocal oohs and aahs that the Goa scene had. I guess it was ok. The one thing that bothers me the most about the track is the background synth when the drums start. The reason why is because for me, it just sounds strange, maybe because of the reverb but who knows. But it may have been the timing was bad and I should of added it later but when I was recording I wasn't thinking about the arrangements. The biggest mistake (and why I will have to do the recording again) is around the 3 minute mark. The reason is that I accidentally pressed the wrong synth on the EMX and was checking the volume.

Oh ya, another mistake I did (well not completely a mistake but close enough) is the main acid line. If you listen you can tell that when the distortion is applied, it at first sounds quite bloated or muffled, that's because my x0xb0x came with the bass boost mod and when distortions are used with it, it can get muffled because of the bass. But I luckily was able to improvise and make the transition smooth so that it doesn't sound a like a mistake (or so I believe).

As usual, the Korg EMX was responsible for the drums, hats, and other percussions along with the choir, synth pad thing, effects, and etc. The x0xb0x was used for the main line. And the Bass Station 2 was used for the background melody (and i used Valhalla reverb for it). The thing that I also need to fixed is the melody for the BSII part since I want to make it sound better with the acid line (or possibly change it completely so that it is the crazy psychedelic sound).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it, it does sound a bit out of place. The original track was quite different from what was uploaded which is why that melody doesn't seem that great. That acidline is really nice, the pattern was from when I was messing around with the x0xb0x and pretty much forgot about it till I was switching around looking for something that sounded nice.

But regardless, thanks for the feedback. Now I gotta do the rest of the track (like 90% of it, haha). I always find it funny (and frustating at times) how I start with one idea and build an entire track, only to dislike something and changing the whole track into something different.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most important thing you have to look out for is that your instruments are in the same key. Right now, in both tracks, there are things that don't add up properly because they're not in the same key - there are exceptions where it works, but that's something you'll probably discover later on.

Thanks for the feedback. I've sort of realized over the period of time that I'm gonna need to refresh my memory on music theory and stuff like that. I've played the piano since I was a kid and took lessons but I haven't played much on it for a long time now. It's one of the reasons why I got into synthesizers and music since I wanted to play music but not just the piano.

• 2 weeks later...

So I started out on a new track (put the old one on the shelf for now since I haven't touched it in a while and don't have any ideas for it).

Pretty much this track is quite influenced by Crossing Mind, but it still needs a ton of work like in the beginning of the track and the sounds in general.

Thank you to anyone who gives feedback!

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/desysko-finding-that-perspective

Again, another demo that i put together after wanting to do more with my BS2 and lighter sounds (which did not work out at all as I eventually turned to harder sounds again, but whatever).

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/desysko-sometimes-gotta-be

Thanks for the feedback. I usually have two thoughts when I see someone commented on my stuff:The first is yay! Some one commented and probably gave feedback. The second thought is, crap. They probably think it's garbage (I tend to be very critical of anything I do even when I know that it is as good as it will get. It gets quite annoying especially for projects for College).

But like I said before, thanks for the feedback. It is very helpful as it brings up stuff that I may have not noticed or things that I also think need fixing.

I didn't realize you made a thread here either, sorry 'bout that. Nothing more to add than what I've told you before, but at least it gives a central point for feedback and demos!

The second thought is, crap. They probably think it's garbage (I tend to be very critical of anything I do even when I know that it is as good as it will get. It gets quite annoying especially for projects for College).

I can only sympathize (is that a word?) with you here - I thought that feeling would get away with time but nay, I'm still terrified of what's to come whenever I post new stuff online.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I also like that atmosphere. It's been quite some time since I made that track, but if I remember the reason I started that was after messing around with the sequencer on the BS2 and with some effects and got that feeling.

One thing I wish I did was keep the files, as I'm not sure whether I still have the sequence pattern or the rhythm it was at. I would like to come back to this track and do more edits on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, one thing I dislike is when nothing comes to your head in regards to music making. Spent several hours on something that had interesting ideas but in the end, I simply disliked it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, haven't made or been doing much with my stuff because of lots of stuff like the holidays, laziness, Dark Souls, and pretty much laziness. But here's is something that I did a rough draft after some planning and thinking. A bit more acid focus than psy/goa and less eerie than my usual stuff but I sort of have been bitten by some kind of acid bug.

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/desysko-trial-of-acid

I listened to your track, I enjoyed it (because who doesn't like acid eh), I suppose it's still the good ole' x0x screaming? :D , it has a special, depressing "welp, manking is fucked guys, sorry" feel (which is not really motivating me to get any work done right now. That, and you also made me wanna go back to Dark Souls, so I won't thank you for that).

Yea I been so much time on Dark Souls recently because they moved from microsoft's servers to steam so things have been better in many ways. Plus I got a new piece of hardware which is much better than my old laptop.

• Like 1

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/desysko-the-experimental-90s

I'm not 100% satisfied with it and will need to work on it a whole lot more. This track at first was suppose to be more mellow/minimal Goa like but as it progressed it reminds me more of some of the 90s trance stuff, which is always cool.

• 2 weeks later...