Feedback on a Demo

[...] I'm currently in the process of selling some gear [...]

NoooOoOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o

Regarding your track, I especially enjoyed the "rythmic" part you gave to your synth line early in the track, very cool!

NoooOoOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o

Regarding your track, I especially enjoyed the "rythmic" part you gave to your synth line early in the track, very cool!

No worries, just selling my audio interface and some pedals since I'm gonna need a mixer or at least an interface with tons more inputs (my current one only has two which is extremely annoying). I also might get a sequencer/sampler (been thinking of an mpc 1000, heard lots of good stuff about them but still doing research regarding that. I just don't want to spend too much time sequencing on ableton or at least have a tool that makes my life easier).

Regarding your comment on the track, thanks! I was waiting for a cord since the power supply for my EMX died so I decided to do some laid back drone/ambient stuff with my Bass Station 2. Had the synth go through the Behringer EM600 doing some delays (which I got recently and enjoy quite a lot, I actually have 6 of them since I accidentally ordered a package of them but it was a real cheap deal on ebay), then it went to ableton where it went through some interesting effects packs I found on the web, but the main ones included a plate reverb, another effect which sort of colored some of the sounds, and then finally another delay at the end of all of that with a very small amount of reverb. It's always fun to see what kind of sounds you can get with just effects and one synth. But I definitely should start doing more psy/goa stuff, just gotta finish this last week of college and I'm "free" for this summer. I still have lots of work to do with my skills, need to polish my compositions, etc.

Been listening to some recent releases of NeoGoa and somewhat recent stuff from Zion604 along with older records from the 90s, just trying to see what works well and what doesn't (I just loved Radical Distortion's newest album though, that album just rocks!).

[sorry about the blog-type post]

No worries, just selling my audio interface and some pedals since I'm gonna need a mixer or at least an interface with tons more inputs (my current one only has two which is extremely annoying). I also might get a sequencer/sampler (been thinking of an mpc 1000, heard lots of good stuff about them but still doing research regarding that. I just don't want to spend too much time sequencing on ableton or at least have a tool that makes my life easier).

Regarding your comment on the track, thanks! I was waiting for a cord since the power supply for my EMX died so I decided to do some laid back drone/ambient stuff with my Bass Station 2. Had the synth go through the Behringer EM600 doing some delays (which I got recently and enjoy quite a lot, I actually have 6 of them since I accidentally ordered a package of them but it was a real cheap deal on ebay), then it went to ableton where it went through some interesting effects packs I found on the web, but the main ones included a plate reverb, another effect which sort of colored some of the sounds, and then finally another delay at the end of all of that with a very small amount of reverb. It's always fun to see what kind of sounds you can get with just effects and one synth. But I definitely should start doing more psy/goa stuff, just gotta finish this last week of college and I'm "free" for this summer. I still have lots of work to do with my skills, need to polish my compositions, etc.

Been listening to some recent releases of NeoGoa and somewhat recent stuff from Zion604 along with older records from the 90s, just trying to see what works well and what doesn't (I just loved Radical Distortion's newest album though, that album just rocks!).

[sorry about the blog-type post]

Speaking of hardware delays -- could you please enlighten a noob and "sell" me on the concept? I'm starting to play more & more with hardware synths, but I'm still pretty limited on the hardware effects side of things (I have one distortion/saturation pedal and...that's about it) -- for all the rest, delays, reverbs, distos (on VSTs) etc, I use software. Would going hardware radically "change stuff"?

Speaking of hardware delays -- could you please enlighten a noob and "sell" me on the concept? I'm starting to play more & more with hardware synths, but I'm still pretty limited on the hardware effects side of things (I have one distortion/saturation pedal and...that's about it) -- for all the rest, delays, reverbs, distos (on VSTs) etc, I use software. Would going hardware radically "change stuff"?

This sort of goes into the whole software vs hardware topic but in short, go for what suits you the best! I like software effects because of how it requires less cords and stuff like that compared to hardware effects. But the problem I have currently is that since I don't have lots of inputs with m current audio interface, I either have to have my synths go through the audio inputs of other synths (mainly the Korg EMX since it has a dedicated option for that) so that I can record most of my stuff. The problem with that is that my records then have some sounds and stuff mixed so I can't apply some effects as it will affect some synth lines which I don't want it to. The advantage of the hardware effects is that I can plug it in and apply where ever I want. I also prefer physical stuff in general since it gives me a bigger incentive to actually experiment and not just set a setting and leave it at that.

In short, I would recommend doing what suits your studio/needs the best. I do both hardware and software since I am able to get the best out of best words. The only major problem with hardware gear is the price tag, some effect pedals are extremely overpriced so at times it is better to just get a software effect which can do the same basic job. I realize it may not be the greatest answer but just from my own experience of buying gear, sometimes some stuff are just over hyped like how some folks "hardware is better than software", not always the case.

• 5 months later...

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/random-sketch-delayreverb

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/random-sketch-with-karimba-delayno-reverb

Not related to goa/psy music what so ever, but I listened to this:

I fell in love right away, and knew that I need to get this instrument. Luckily they aren't too expensive ($150). So much love for this thing.

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/short-simple-melody-karimba-with-no-effects

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/short-simple-melody-karimba-with-delayreverb

Really am loving this thing more and more. I already am learning to play that Solo for Lotus song. One thing I love about this instrument that it is very easy approach and to start playing.

Both links are the same melody, but the second one has effects applied. One thing I did find out is that the audio output on the karimba isn't that loud which leads to sound level problems as you can barely hear (which means I have to crank up the amp) but the output on the karimba is quite sensitive and also picks up some static noise but more importantly; since I have to boost the amp, it also boosts the electronic hums of my effect pedals (usually they aren't a problem since my synths are already loud enough so they don't need boosting). I'll probably find a work-around or just use a microphone if I can't find a solution regarding that.

• 1 month later...

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/aalto-with-mpc-1000-jam

Some semi-improv work with Aalto. I definitely can recommend this vst. Sort of reminds me of some of the Buchal styled sound (actually if I remember correctly, Aalto was designed with a Buchla inspiration).

An old project that sadly has nothing else but this audio demo I made at the time. Can't find any of the midi or anything else. The bassline is terrible, definitely doesn't not match the rest of the track. Luckily, I may still have the sequence on the x0xb0x somewhere. Been learning more and more of my mpc, and it is quite a nice machine. Definitely don't regret getting it.

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/old-lost-project

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made a new account. I had followed so many people on my old account that it was a mess.

Been fooling around with a ob-12 vst, sounds very nice and lush. This demo was made after I fooled around with Native Instruments Molekular. It's definitely a cool effect plug-in. All the sounds are from the Karimba. The white noise is from sliding my hand on the wood of the karimba, along with other sounds being made by hitting the wood (which then all the notes react and make sounds from). Had it go through my EMX effects such as delay, chorus/flanger, and a glitch. Then it finally went into the Molekular, which then further glitches, a filterbank, and another delay.

• Like 2

https://soundcloud.com/desko-974303531/rough-draft-10001

Now this was by done by accident. Was fooling around with the EMX since I haven't used it in a long time and had it stored away, gathering dust. Still has the unstable pot encoder problem, should fix that some day. Just a random sketch for some ideas.

https://soundcloud.com/desko-974303531/karimba-glitch

Made a new account. I had followed so many people on my old account that it was a mess.

Been fooling around with a ob-12 vst, sounds very nice and lush. This demo was made after I fooled around with Native Instruments Molekular. It's definitely a cool effect plug-in. All the sounds are from the Karimba. The white noise is from sliding my hand on the wood of the karimba, along with other sounds being made by hitting the wood (which then all the notes react and make sounds from). Had it go through my EMX effects such as delay, chorus/flanger, and a glitch. Then it finally went into the Molekular, which then further glitches, a filterbank, and another delay.

Nice one.. :) thought about making a dark deep glitchy ambient tune.?

• 5 months later...

https://soundcloud.com/desko-974303531/the-world-of-blurimba

After much time away and not really making any tracks, I decided to go ahead and see things would go. I realized I didn't use my mpc1000 enough, so I made a goal of using only the mpc1000 for a track. All sounds are made with either my karimba, guitar, and the drum kit from the 707 (along with some other ones). The karimba was pretty easy to record since it has a 1/4 socket. The guitar was a pain to record since it is a classical guitar with no outputs. So I had to record it with my phone (such crap quality lol). I then put it through some guitar amp and other effects on ableton, made a sample from that and imported to the mpc1000. It was a bit of work to get all of this done because of the ram limitation of the mpc1000. There's plenty more I can do with this track, add some more elements, work on the effects (the effects on the mpc aren't the best sounding ones), etc.

Well, not really a demo but just something I made.

https://soundcloud.com/deskoch/desysko-tribe-of-bounce

I realize that there are some things that do need work on like more variety and stuff like that (and not accidentally touching the volume knob, haha).

But I just want to ask for some feedback. Thanks for any that do.

ah damn im too late

i was gonna check but you removed it or something

Man, one thing I dislike is when nothing comes to your head in regards to music making. Spent several hours on something that had interesting ideas but in the end, I simply disliked it.

yea that sucks man i know how it feels :|

https://soundcloud.com/desko-974303531/the-world-of-blurimba

After much time away and not really making any tracks, I decided to go ahead and see things would go. I realized I didn't use my mpc1000 enough, so I made a goal of using only the mpc1000 for a track. All sounds are made with either my karimba, guitar, and the drum kit from the 707 (along with some other ones). The karimba was pretty easy to record since it has a 1/4 socket. The guitar was a pain to record since it is a classical guitar with no outputs. So I had to record it with my phone (such crap quality lol). I then put it through some guitar amp and other effects on ableton, made a sample from that and imported to the mpc1000. It was a bit of work to get all of this done because of the ram limitation of the mpc1000. There's plenty more I can do with this track, add some more elements, work on the effects (the effects on the mpc aren't the best sounding ones), etc.

only mpc1000? shit thats hardcore

the guitar sounded pretty good altho you think its crap, i mean for a phone mic recording?

sounds pretty good man nice tune

congrats on mpc1000 nice work man

i also had one i know how hard it is to get some shit going on it . i didnt do anything else on it except a few rap beats lol

i didnt had any ram probs i had it maximized to 128 or something

get some more ram if you need more record time

as for your track is well done its smooth sweet flowing for a looping song

usually loops tend to annoy me because its repetitive but yours in this case worked because its well executed

thanks man keep making music it was nice experience

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...