Hearing a sample during a movie

Penzoline

Everytime I watch a movie and hear a part that was sampled(especially if it's in a good track) it sends shivers down my spine and I always get this weird grin on my face and a fuzzy feeling. There's just something about this cross-media thing that I enjoy very much. It's almost like a sense of discovery. What do you guys think about encountering samples in movies or TV shows?

And have any of you watched movies because of samples? I've done it a lot (First one was the infamous People Can Fly sample). Maybe not so much when it comes to boring or generally bad tracks, but if it's a good release and a good track that I've played a dozen times then the samples always intrigue me enough to at least look up the movie and if it seems interesting I'll watch it.

Everytime I watch a movie and hear a part that was sampled(especially if it's in a good track) it sends shivers down my spine and I always get this weird grin on my face and a fuzzy feeling. There's just something about this cross-media thing that I enjoy very much. It's almost like a sense of discovery. What do you guys think about encountering samples in movies or TV shows?

And have any of you watched movies because of samples? I've done it a lot (First one was the infamous People Can Fly sample). Maybe not so much when it comes to boring or generally bad tracks, but if it's a good release and a good track that I've played a dozen times then the samples always intrigue me enough to at least look up the movie and if it seems interesting I'll watch it.

Indeed. And since I'm the only one from my friends who know the samples from the music I tend to not show my enthusiasm.

Well, during Contact and Indepence Day, you'll find TONS of samples, allover the movie :) not the best movies tho :P

What are you talking about? :P

Both movies are awesome.

I've noticed a few samples which I didn't expect to hear while watching moves or shows:

Artha's 'Saikol' has a sample from a bad movie called "Darkness Falls".

Nebula Meltdown's "Mindstream Continuum" from the compilation Shaltu has a sample from the show "Stargate SG-1". I think I'd heard that one before the album was released.

I think there might have been one or two more I noticed recently but I can't remember right now.

This isn't related to psytrance, but I think the first sample I ever recognized was in White Zombie's song "N.W.O.". It's from Apocalypse Now, and was just Dennis Hopper yelling "It's all right! It's all right!" Another sample from the same movie is in Floater's "Snowblind".

I know that feeling is great, specially if both the movie and the track are good.

I have always liked how BOTFB use movie samples to give their tracks a denser atmosphere.

Sorry but who are BOTFB?

Yeah, it's always nice to encounter a part in a movie that you've already heard before in a track... :)

My last one was the beginning of THX1138 (the first movie directed by George Lukas). I once recorded a Breakbeat set that has 'UNKLE - I Need Something Stronger' as first track. We were watching THX1138 with 4 people and I told them I had never seen this movie before. And in the beginning I could talk along the quoted text for a minute long. This freaked them out. :D

The track ( :wub: ) :

My last one was the beginning of THX1138 (the first movie directed by George Lukas). I once recorded a Breakbeat set that has 'UNKLE - I Need Something Stronger' as first track. We were watching THX1138 with 4 people and I told them I had never seen this movie before. And in the beginning I could talk along the quoted text for a minute long. This freaked them out. :D

It did :D

I remember the one and only time I read a sample.

I have an idea of where the sample came from, but it was still kind of an interesting one-off event for me.

I was reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in 1997 before the movie came out.

Space Tribe's Ultraviolet Catastrophe had just come out and, to my mind, it was some epic shit.

I had listened to Know Your Dope Fiend many times at this point, when all of the sudden I started reading

"KNOW YOUR DOPE FIEND. YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT! You will not be able to see his eyes because of the Tea-Shades, but his knuckles will be white from inner tension and his pants will be crusted with semen from constantly jacking off when he can't find a rape victim...."

I was like "woah!" I know that speech.

Sweet

Then a year later, the movie came out and that part was in it.

I always thought it was kind of cool that Oli sampled that snippet (I'm assuming either from an audio book or from the actual audio recording of that speech) before the movie broke.

That's kind of the one time I read a sample from a Goa track...

The first movie I remember this happening to was "Planet of the Apes" (the original).

I think it is the scene where they are doing some kind of press conference, and there is the line, "What planet did you say you came from?" that sounded familiar. And then a little while later... "What is this? It's a toy. It floats... on the air!"

I also remember watching David Lynch's "Dune" and the movie starts with the whole "The spice extends life..." sample and then near the end of the movie, "Some thoughts... have a certain sound..."

Probably both around 1998.

I also had a weird Space Tribe moment. This would have been around 2010 and I was living in Delhi at the time. I happened to catch "Escape from L.A." on cable, and Snake says, "The future's right now..." and I immediately got the Space Tribe track stuck in my head, and was thinking I hadn't listened to him in a while...I wonder what he's up to, and did a random google search for Space Tribe and found out he was playing in Delhi the next weekend! So that was pretty cool... Got to hang out with him for a bit after the show and told him that story.

This topic reminds me of a sample I have heard in a Protoculture track "Out of Reality," and I think another track too, and I've wondered where it came from.

It's something like, "Yes, all right, machines are tools. They're made to be used. It's their nature...to be slaves.... All reality is virtual. How do they know the real world is not just another simulation? ... Well I know I'm not dreaming now because I know what it's like being in a dream.

So dreaming lets you know that reality exists."

I've always liked this sample, but never knew where it came from, but it seems like something I would enjoy watching. Can anyone help me out?

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this. Just something magical about stumbling upon a sample.

This topic reminds me of a sample I have heard in a Protoculture track "Out of Reality," and I think another track too, and I've wondered where it came from.

It's something like, "Yes, all right, machines are tools. They're made to be used. It's their nature...to be slaves.... All reality is virtual. How do they know the real world is not just another simulation? ... Well I know I'm not dreaming now because I know what it's like being in a dream.
So dreaming lets you know that reality exists."

I've always liked this sample, but never knew where it came from, but it seems like something I would enjoy watching. Can anyone help me out?

Well I always google the words I recognize. Looks like that one is from Animatrix.

Psydb.net used to track samples used but I think the owner stopped updating it a long time ago.

http://www.psydb.net/samples/

This is actually a Ministry song. Ministry >>>>> White Zombie!!!

Derp. I was trying to remember which song it was in, so I was listening to various stuff. Of course since I was doing this drunk, I managed to type the wrong thing. :wacko:

I suppose most of you know about Waking Life? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/?ref_=nv_sr_1) There's TONS of stuff in that movie that are used as samples. I once tried watching it simply for that reason but i couldn't get through the film, there's a lot of interesting stuff in it but no real plot whatsoever.

Has anyone beside me ever noticed that the opening monologue from "Dark City" ("First, there was darkness. Then came the strangers. They were a race as old as time itself. [...]") has been sampled countless times? I've come across at least four or five tracks so far that feature it... At first I really liked that sample, but it's starting to get annoying. Here are the three tracks I can think of right away (the rest would require significantly more research):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76lbhfn2xG0

(starting shortly after the 3:00 mark)

(starting shortly after the 1:00 mark)

(not Psy, but still; starting right away in the intro)

Anyway, yes, recognising samples can be great fun. I had to smile when I read about "Planet of the Apes" above. I had seen it a long time ago in the German version; quite recently, I finally watched the original version in English, something I had been planning for years. I really had goosebumps when that 'sacred' text "Beware the beast man, for he is the devil's pawn [...]" was being recited - I immediately had this track playing in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqiG2FpWy1k

Not psytrance but Prog House. Sample from the movie "Dark City":

"First there was darkness. Then came the Strangers. They were a race as old as time itself. They had mastered the ultimate technology. The ability to alter physical reality by will alone. They called this ability "Tuning".

I watched the movie way later, after listening to this tune. Perfect use of samples in my opinion creating a dark vibe.

Not psytrance but Prog House. Sample from the movie "Dark City":

"First there was darkness. Then came the Strangers. They were a race as old as time itself. They had mastered the ultimate technology. The ability to alter physical reality by will alone. They called this ability "Tuning".

I watched the movie way later, after listening to this tune. Perfect use of samples in my opinion creating a dark vibe.

Did you read my post above regarding samples from that film? It seems that it's even worse than I imagined. :D