How to reduce stress?

Ormion

The last two years stress has become unbearable. Financial, personal and health issues have kicked me down. I can't even sleep properly anymore. I don't wanna start using heavy mediaction, so I wonder if you know some way to reduce it.
I tried Rhodiola, but ain't doing shit.

I've succesfully used tryptofan supplement or melatonin for sleeping. Both are natural medicine that your own body excretes, though the former took some days to start working and the latter should be careful with if you have signs of diabetes or heavy sugar intake.

Also have you tried exercising? Weights / cardio?

My doctor advised me to get rid of source of the stress :)

That makes sense. However, for many work-related problems (unemployment, crap job) that would translate to "get a well-paying dream job", which is easier said than done.

The last two years stress has become unbearable. Financial, personal and health issues have kicked me down. I can't even sleep properly anymore. I don't wanna start using heavy mediaction, so I wonder if you know some way to reduce it.

I tried Rhodiola, but ain't doing shit.

Try weed before buying any pharma-make-my-happy pills.. (no I don't want you to convert into a 24/7 high mob marley clone, use it as like mecidin for days you feel bad or can't sleep)

Weed is crap. It is a weak substance that doesn´t change anything at all and can make you feel worse than before. It lowers blood preasure and opens areas in your brain that are looked up usually. When you smoke weed you can access things in your brain and think about things that you can´t without weed. When I smoke weed it does not calm me and reduce stress, but it reacts simiarely to coffee and I don´t think Ormion wants something liek that. there are other substances that are less harmful than weed and are natural just like Validol. It tastes like ment and is very calming. There are other natural substances that can reduce stress but weed is not very advicable because it doesn´t really reduce stress. What it does in my opinion is make you feel more aware of your situation and give you access to all parts of your brain. It makes you laugh and gives you a more positve mood, but it does not directly reduce stress in my opinion.

Besides that you have to think about a change from your situation so the factor that produces stress gets eliminated. I don´t feel very happy myself at the moment and am at a time where I can´t fall decisions what to do in the future. I also ahve stress, but can manage it somehow with healthy food like fish and great salads. And honestly I must tell you if you have stress it will be hard to escape it. I for example am ina position where I realize that I am simply not smart enough to change my situation. I can´t think fast enough in order to change my situation. I am a very bad decision maker and think very sowly in general. That is a real problem that I have for my whole life, but can´t change anything about it. Even food that should improve your thinking abilitiy does not help me think better.

That makes sense. However, for many work-related problems (unemployment, crap job) that would translate to "get a well-paying dream job", which is easier said than done.

Exactly. Unfortunately I can't get rid of the source. The problem is that I see my issues getting bigger which leads to pessimism which leads to even more stress.

@Ormion:

No clue about what problems you have, so diffcult to give an tips.. but I handle problem-related stress like that:

There are two types of problems, the ones you can solve and the ones you can't.

Do what your doctor say on the first one.

If you can rid of the problem, go and do it. No reason to not do so.

The second one can't be solved obviously, so stop beeing worried about, it's out of your control.

You can't get rid of it, even you are worried TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHT much, so just don't do it (THC / CBC can help on that, that's why I posted it)

It's just my way of handling stress... ;)

@Radi

Haven't read your post, already know what's written there.. have fun with your Trimipramin, Amitriptylin, Sertralin, .. or however it's called .. toke.gif

(see, radi's opinion on weed is something I won't be able to change, so I don't care about it instead of thinking about how to convince him .. no problem, no stress ;) )

radi is right, Ormion is asking for help to handle stress, i wouldn't recommend weed

first: i never smoked weed so i'm not sure about the price but i guess it's not cheap and Ormion talked about financial issues

second: best way to get addicted, step by step...not good

you have to keep fighting, and try to get jobs, 2 jobs if you can, not easy i know, i'm in the same situation

trying to make money by gambling on sports now but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, that's actually very stressful

yeah keep fighting, do sports like it was said, sports that doesn't cost anything like work out outside, running, etc.

radi is right, Ormion is asking for help to handle stress, i wouldn't recommend weed

first: i never smoked weed so i'm not sure about the price but i guess it's not cheap and Ormion talked about financial issues

weed won't handle the stress for you, as written above ;) same like other anti-depressant chemicals don't do (also here there is a danger of addiction).. I'm only saying that I would try cbc before any mao-onhibitors from the pharma-lab, not that he should run out the door looking for next dealer right now

and marijuana is a damn plant that need some watter and sun and that's it.. who the fuck pays for fuckin'g tares

if you'd use drugs / effective medications, they (weed, benzos, opiates, alcohol) surely help in the short term, but using in this way is a straight way into addiction. so they're best avoided (weed is certainly much better than the others in the addiction department, but then again weed doesn't work for everyone).

i don't recommend antidepressants or anything like that. they don't help for the great majority of people, have lots of side effects and awful withdrawal symptoms for some people. if you'd still were to take one, then mirtazapine would most likely be quite a bit better than SSRIs.

also the valerian radi recommended imho doesn't really help. it has the opposite effects of coffee and therefore isn't that pleasant or relaxing.

my own mechanism to cope with stress (mostly having to work too much in my case) is maximizing the little free time and using the time purely to relax while not partaking in any kind of not completely necessary activities. but of course i have no idea if it's applicable in your case or if it would even help. everyone's different.

And it is good that the effect is different than the effect of coffee. Coffee can produce stress itself when drunk too much and valerian or Validol can lower the stress level. Black tea can lower the stress level aswell when it stays in the cpu to bew for 10 minutes. What can reduce stress for me is reading complex books or watching complex sries or documentaries on the tv. I love complex books or documentaries and movies because they educate you and give you new ideas on how to deal with others, your life and your work. Besides that they are very intersting and challenging.

my own mechanism to cope with stress (mostly having to work too much in my case) is maximizing the little free time and using the time purely to relax while not partaking in any kind of not completely necessary activities. but of course i have no idea if it's applicable in your case or if it would even help. everyone's different.

Again, no idea about Ormion, but I made the experience that this is the worst thing do to.

For me "relaxing" means "doing nothing" .. and 'doing nothing' means having time to think about problems. That's also the problem with sleeping, I gues thinking about problems is what stops from sleeping.

So would rather do the exact oppsite, look for an activtiy that gives you some challenge. Concentrate on something other than problems for a while.

Again, no idea about Ormion, but I made the experience that this is the worst thing do to.

For me "relaxing" means "doing nothing" .. and 'doing nothing' means having time to think about problems. That's also the problem with sleeping, I gues thinking about problems is what stops from sleeping.

So would rather do the exact oppsite, look for an activtiy that gives you some challenge. Concentrate on something other than problems for a while.

yeah, it's different for everyone. i have no problems shutting off and concentrating on nice things when i relax (but sadly it's quite the opposite when i try to sleep). conversely even normally fun and relaxing activities (like for instance having a coffee witha friend or playing a computer game) can be exhausting, so i'd rather lean back and listen to some psydub :)

First, if you are like some 80% of the planet then I assume you drink coffee or tea, or otherwise consume caffeine, which is the last thing you need in your body.

I don't like wanting to recommend a drug, but if it's sleep you are looking for, my solution was kratom, a legal organic opiate like plant. Without sleep, none of your other solutions will work. Your mind and your body needs to recharge itself and you need to calm the mind in order to fall asleep. I would not sacrifice sleep over anything as it is the single most important thing for the human body outside of food and water.

I don't like wanting to recommend a drug, but if it's sleep you are looking for, my solution was kratom, a legal organic opiate like plant. Without sleep, none of your other solutions will work.

For any health-related symptom, non-drug solutions should be considered first. I stand firmly by my recommendation of exercise. It not only releases endorphins, which produce a drug-like high in the short term, it also tires out the body and thus promotes sleep (as long as it's at least a few hours before bed).

I don't think I can fully relate to your situation, but I felt really badly stressed in the last weeks too ... mainly because an injury immobilized me (dislocated ankle) and I couldn't do any sports at all :(

Sports and workout do a lot. I wasn't even doing so much I'd say, but I never perceived so little being so valuable, to me at least.

I still can't run with the ankle and I can't even think about climbing a boulder, I have to be careful with it, but at least I can walk -- or cycle, as I did yesterday. And it is good to feel the movement again.

No comparison to some days ago where I almost got a nervous breakdown because my neighbor woke me up with loud TV at night after I finally managed to fall asleep...

When you start doing some workout, you'll at least get yourself tired and increase the likelihood of sleeping deeper and better.

And you will likely need less of whatever substance you choose for your treatment.

When it comes to substances, Pharmacy sells a medication that is a combination of some plant essences -- valerian, hops, passion flower and that ... I like that one a lot and use it frequently.

If the plants don't help I normally use diphenhydramine to sleep.

And if it all doesn't work, I take a benzo ... only in emergency though.

Food should be lots of bananas (you gonna need their energy anyway if you work out) :)

That and easy on the caffeine ... and on the alcohol too (I have cut the Whisky down :P ).

Thanks for the responses. Has anyone tried valeriana? I've heard it's pretty good.

i've found it unpleasant (and of course tasting horrible), but it's surely worth a try. passiflora ime is much better, but of course with those plant remedies, effectiveness isn't really proven and there are widely varying formulations with widely varying dosages, so you'll likely have to try a few until you find something that works for you.

I tried magnesium for better sleep since I tend to clench my jaw at night. Then I start having some painful pimples under my nipples. Apparently they formed by hormone dysfunction which could be from magnesium.

I used valerian, but this alone makes me not feel so great. A higher dose makes me feel dizzy when I close my eyes and to me it provoked feelings of moving really fast when lying still (difficult to explain) ... and the sleep still didn't come.

I found it pleasant only in low doses and in combination with other plants such as passion flower and hops -- then it is quite good though.

Magnesium is no real sleep medication to me, I use it for muscle and heart related issues...

But there's one more thing I use: amber -- only as incense oil. The incense is relaxing and most of all, after some usage where you manage to sleep to it, it will automatically remind you of sleep. Maybe that's good for you too!

I tried magnesium for better sleep since I tend to clench my jaw at night. Then I start having some painful pimples under my nipples. Apparently they formed by hormone dysfunction which could be from magnesium.

As a mineral, magnesium can be bad for you in excess. It should really only be taken if you're deficient for some reason.

Ormion i too am looking to reduce stress since it seems to the main reason behind clenching and subsequently TMJ headaches which have been driving me absolutely nuts the last couple of weeks :(:unsure::wacko::wacko: . Going to see a psychologist today , lets see what comes out..

e. and dont even think of weight training if you have a clenching problem , it will just make it worse