"V/A - Under The Moss Vol. 3"

Trance2MoveU

Hmkmzdh.jpg

Artist: Various

Title: Under The Moss Vol. 3

Label: Forest Freaks

Date: June, 2014

01 - Re-Horakhty - Ravebros (148 BPM)
02 - Tom Noise - Double Trip Tip (150 BPM)
03 - C.Monster - How Do You Know (148 BPM)
04 - Schizoid Bears - Rhythm Of My Life (148 BPM)
05 - Cenotes - Dive (152 BPM)
06 - CTO Gram - Marshmallows, Monkeys, and Mortality (152 BPM)
07 - DoHm - Moss Party (152 BPM)
08 - P.Tale - Ypsilon (152 BPM)
09 - FungPung - Anthill (150 BPM)
FHHHvAb.gif

"How do you know?"

Cause I'm American and we know everything. Where the hell have you been?

Anyone who didn't think the series sporting foliage with eyes on the cover wouldn't have a LOTR sample is kidding themselves. This type of music just lends itself to fairytale creatures and magical realms. If I studied geography solely by listening to forest trance I would assume all of Scandinavia was like this. The cool parts anyway.

Having reviewed the previous two volumes I would say this one is more accessible to those not indoctrinated in the rituals of forest trance. More Wizack Twizack night time mischief than supernatural there's no way out we're all going to die dread. Oh it's still psychedelic as hell so underestimate it at your peril. Full of hallucinogenic atmospheres, bubbly sounds and screechy leads. Just not as heavy. Get more fish with a wider net don't you know.

That said aside from the dirge sung at the beginning of Ypsilon and the insanely twisting Anthill (f*cking awesome by the way) nothing stood out. And that's ok. Because with forest trance it is most assuredly about the journey and atmosphere and this compilation has loads of it. A deep eeriness and mystical whimsy. Oaks older than man and moss retaking all that he in is arrogance has built. Structures are temporary, but the forest...the forest is eternal. Creatures that were the stuff of legend appear and we realize that they didn't just appear.

They were here all along.

Free at Ektoplazm

Mdk

Agree 100% that there were no stand-out tracks on this one and that's mainly why I found it disappointing. Not bad, just disappointing. No great DoHm tracks, no groovy Schizoid Bears, no ridiculously good Re-Horakhty. Honestly, I'll probably listen to nothing on this comp a second time - the other two volumes, though, have a few tracks that make it on regular rotation in my Ipod's playlist. As usual, great writing!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This compilation is extremely strong! Everysingle track is nothing short from amazing but I do have favorites. Best forest psy Ive heard to this date. Favorite tracks: 2,5, and7!

5/5