Drum Machines

Essential to producing goa/psy, drum machines (or atleast their samples) have a special place in the genre. Most recognizable is Roland's TR-909, which happens to be used or emulated in 99.9 precent of our favorite songs. I thought it would be fun to discus our favorite drum machines (hardware or software) and what you like about them. What do you use in your set up? Whats your dream machine?

Other notable drum machines are the Linn Drum, TR-808 (707,606), and DSI Tempest.

I really like the 909's open high hat sound. I find it very hypnotic and soothing when paired with a nice kick.

For a while now I've been using fxpansion's geist with an extensive sample library. Lately I've been considering investing in a drum machine because my eyesight has been getting really bad from staring at computer screens all day. Unfortunately the classics are worth upwards of $3,000 and out of the question at this point in my life. While considering alternatives, my friend showed me Elektron's Analogue Rytm. http://www.elektron.se/products/analog-rytm

Wow, this thing is stacked and imo it blows Roland's new TR-8 out of the water (there is a clear price difference after all). I'm thinking about saving up for this one. You can find additional samples on their soundcloud. This one is my fav.

https://soundcloud.com/elektron/1-1

What do you think?

You should check out reddit's synthesizer sub, they've had some good discussions on drum machines. But man I wouldn't mind having a Rytm, it is a very nice machine. But since I'm not exactly made of money, I have an Korg EMX. While I wish it had more options for the drums, hats, etc; I find it to be really nice machine, plus it's nice to have 5 additional synths to depend on.

I use Sonic Charge μtonic, occasionally supplemented with drum samples used in a sampler (I don't have a specific drum sampler plugin). It's almost everything I need, but sometimes I like that (very common) more realistic-sounding hi-hat sample that I just can't reproduce from a drum synth. Plus various other non-electronic drum sounds.

I've been flirting with the idea of someday making my own hardware drum machine, which would combine analog synthesis with sample playback. I don't have any particular reason for this, it just sounds like a fun project. But considering I've been too lazy to get very far in my current (much simpler) project, the likelihood is low.

I really like the 909's open high hat sound.

nothing beats the 909 for hats. recently i swapped ADM for Drumazon for that purpose. a huge improvement imho.

almost anything that's not supposed to be 909, i do with ultrabeat.

so sadly i have neither experience nor reccomendations for any hardware.

@desysko- the korg emx is really cool. I've seen some great sounding videos on youtube demonstrating its abilities.

@Veracohr- Build your own drum machine?!?! Sounds like quite the task... though it would be really awesome. I can't even imagine, my electronics/ soldering skills are too basic.

@padmapani- I've never tried drumazon but I really like some of D16's other softwares. Plus they're polish like me :ph34r:

Ok I've decided to get the Analogue Rytm. They're backordered so I have time to save up! Can't wait... *drools*

@Veracohr- Build your own drum machine?!?! Sounds like quite the task... though it would be really awesome. I can't even imagine, my electronics/ soldering skills are too basic.

Well, that's why I'm in school for electrical engineering. Specifically because I want to make things like this.

• 3 months later...

the 707 generally speaking can sound good... idk about goa though. You can't tune the damn thing unless you get a moded unit or mod it urself. My buddy modded his 909 and it sounds amazing. I'd say probably not for goa unless you mod it.

Those samples sound nice! I don't got why the individual outputs are on the front though, could be messy in a rack. But one knob = one function is my cup of tea. Now just to find a nice sequencer for it.

• 5 months later...

I know what you mean about the EMX and the PCM sample, they could use a tad more. But don't over look the Synths for drum sounds as well, you can get some mean kicks/snare and other stuff using just the envelope and pitch modulation.

I wish it had more individual outs though, 4 is enough for just the basic drum, and not much percussion.

You should check out reddit's synthesizer sub, they've had some good discussions on drum machines. But man I wouldn't mind having a Rytm, it is a very nice machine. But since I'm not exactly made of money, I have an Korg EMX. While I wish it had more options for the drums, hats, etc; I find it to be really nice machine, plus it's nice to have 5 additional synths to depend on.

I know what you mean about the EMX and the PCM sample, they could use a tad more. But don't over look the Synths for drum sounds as well, you can get some mean kicks/snare and other stuff using just the envelope and pitch modulation.

I wish it had more individual outs though, 4 is enough for just the basic drum, and not much percussion.

Oh ya, It definitely could use more outputs. The nice thing about the new electribes is that it is integrated wit Ableton so all the sound files and midi can be transferred over real easily. But there are some problems like the audio gaps when switching between patterns but they are supposed to fix that eventually. At least they are getting some attention, Novation could really consider updating and adding some new features to the Bass Station 2, it's been nearly a year since they released a beta update and no news since.

Those samples sound nice! I don't got why the individual outputs are on the front though, could be messy in a rack. But one knob = one function is my cup of tea. Now just to find a nice sequencer for it.

It works really well with the Beatstep Pro from Arturia. Otherwise if you wanna lash out the Oberkorn from Analog Solutions is an amazing sequencer. I'm saving for one but currently using the Beatstep Pro in the process.

Also the MFB Tanzbar is a wonderful machine, got one on order along with the MFB Dominion 1 as my main mono keyboard.