REALLY good full on?

ravenation

Full On is often spoken of as the black sheep of goatrance. Its not psy and its not Goa. Its somewhere in between.

But there are a few great full on tracks out there.

Post your favorites!

few of mine are:

Electric Universe - Conscious

Electric Universe - The Prayer

Electric Universe - Peak <-This is probably my favorite.

Talamasca - Spiritual Renewal

Talamasca ft Yuman & Ben-J - Three Smoking Gorillas

Wizzy Noise - Haiku Remix <-Epicness

Silicon Sound - Memento <-Honorable mention due to its amazingly subtle and minimal buildup

And its not a coincidence that alot of my favorites come from the same artists.

ps. The links above are at timestamps I chose specifically.

If Peak is your favorite you should check old serbian full on such as Alternative Control, Freaked Frequency, BPM and Tropical Bleyage - they are newer :)

I loveeeeeeee this one. Old full on, melodic..... aaah :D

Here's a little list (most of the tracks were released in this year so, it is a recent list):

My all time favorite single track:

Nice FullOn tracks:

Dirtron - Small World

Ender - Subconscious Self

My favourite albums (All Free):

Ender - To The Point

Uncle Jack - Intoxicated With Desire <---- This one is a really really awesome release

Passing Through Vol.1

• Like 1

If Peak is your favorite you should check old serbian full on such as Alternative Control, Freaked Frequency, BPM and Tropical Bleyage - they are newer :)

I loveeeeeeee this one. Old full on, melodic..... aaah :D

here is the Serbian artist I wish realllllly took off but didnt. his style is unlike anything else. His only album is this thrashing style and so friggin good ;O

My favorite full on album,by far.

I dont mind Sonic Species but his music is standard for me. its just a,b,c psy trance. this specific song is boring. I think he has the potential to find his own unique touch to the music and be creative on that.

Can't agree with the above :/

Tron,Avalon, AMD and in fact all the Nano stuff just screams generic to me... It is frankly disastrous if you have to endure a whole night or day of it...

Sounds so so similar it hurts, as though everyone is sharing presets or formulas to make "killah" stuff... Makes me sad about the state of full on :/

• Like 3

don't know if they count as fullon.. looking at the names above, but isn't 'darkpsy' neither so..

Disintegrated Circuits

https://soundcloud.com/disintegrated-circuits

Kabayun

https://soundcloud.com/kabayun

Fagin's Reject

https://soundcloud.com/fagins_reject

Insane Creatures

https://soundcloud.com/insanecreatures

• Like 1

Can't agree with the above :/

Tron,Avalon, AMD and in fact all the Nano stuff just screams generic to me... It is frankly disastrous if you have to endure a whole night or day of it...

Sounds so so similar it hurts, as though everyone is sharing presets or formulas to make "killah" stuff... Makes me sad about the state of full on :/

You imply that Tron releases on Nano, which he does not. This is generic full-on to you? You may be slightly confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hRSnsiswIw

Ah sorry you are right, I shouldn't have listed Tron with the nano stuff. And yeah it actually is a bit different.

He was squeezed in between a lot of bad full on imo at Boom the other week so i thought i heard it from afar, turns out perhaps it wasn't him i was thinking of!

^That track is ok reminds me of shift etc. And yup not the generic full on i was talking about. Cheers!

I could list SO many names but lets just take a moment and remember NOMAD (the track is from 2003 btw and the YT user is wrong ;p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMxv3u0dDM

Lemurians Secret Message

I got that album within the last year and wasnt impressed. I remember liking previous Lemurians and some from the album before. I think I just need a re-listen since I was probably multitasking at the same time so I zoned out through it.

You imply that Tron releases on Nano, which he does not. This is generic full-on to you? You may be slightly confused.

Ya know, I never knew what Tron sounded like until then. I like it more than I thought he would be. That specific song isnt bad. It also doesnt go anywhere and I think it would benefit from builds and clashing around. A lot of the standard or boring full-on I hear now "plays it safe" like that.

Try with these tracks:

I liked the middle one for sure! The first was a little standard boring and also could of used pizzazz. the third sounds like GMS with that style bass and the speed. This track also needed to explode a bit. Very cool I must say.

• 2 weeks later...

In a few days when I am back from a festival I will upload the entire Lucy in Space with Diamonds - Emerald City album to YT. One full-length play of it. To me - no full-on album has been better than it since!! I think its quality is that high. It can even stand with the classic 90's releases we cant shut up about ;p

heres one track

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of Wizzy Noise. Outside of my favorite goa acts they are quite likely the definitive trance act of my 10yrs listening to the genre. I am shattered I never saw them live before they broke up. They can be formulaic, but that formula just really hits me in the right spot, I explode with joy during their huge climaxes.

Open Your Eyes, Wizzdom, Congee (!!), their remix of Elec3 - Plugged, and so many more were staples of my sets when I played this sound a lot.

The Nano Records stuff is very hit and miss. I absolutely adore the AMD record 'Big Fish', it combines the Aphid Moon driving sound and Dick Trevor psychedelic morning sound in to the perfect hybrid. The sum of the two is greater than the parts, which says a lot.

But then other acts such as Avalon, a lot of the Killerwatts catalogue, Laughing Buddha, just don't grab me at all. Nor does Ital as another popular Nano-clone example. The one day at Psy-Fi festival this year with 10hrs of non-stop Nano stuff was a bit of a downer.

However I am really enjoying a few tracks off the new Tristan album. I never, ever rated his productions but his live sets in January and August this year blew me away on the dancefloor and the latest album is where the gems come from. Particularly 'Time and Space' and 'Enlightenment'.

U-Recken for me is the most exciting in terms of new ideas in this area. His last album flew under the radar which is a pity as it's great. His live set in August was truly amazing too. Although his new stuff isn't entirely 'full on' either. But it's forward-thinking in a way we seldom see that often presently.

What I am finding with full on is that there are still good tracks, but not often an artist entirely dominating. For example the Sonic Species album was great, but his recent work is mostly bland, with the notable exceptions of 'Just Another Freak' and the collab with Sinerider which are both nuts. Earthling is another whose star looked to shine bright a few years ago but is now quite up-and-down. At least his music (and related projects like Chromatone, Everblast, KIM) has some attempted psychedelic flavors, which is more than I can say for Avalon.

I will have a lot more to add to this thread when I'm at home with my laptop to peruse artists more clearly.

It's more morning psy than full-on, but I must recommend the work of the Australian legend Terrafractyl.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terrafractyl/29678094222?fref=ts

His work is genuinely unique. Maybe not as fast paced as what you are after, but genuinely psychedelic trance music. Full of melodies but with a solid, consistent 4/4 kick to stomp to. As much as he is a 'morning' artist some of the best sets I've seen him play have been at ~2am, it's versatile. His jazz and related influences from his classical musician background make his work unique.

I am so happy to see Terrafractyl on the Lost Theory lineup. I spent the last three European summers seeing so many acts play during the day at big parties who were nowhere near his quality. I will be spending the next 6 months annoying my European friends to ensure they see him, I can't fathom why he shouldn't be our next big psy export. It's frankly overdue.

I've taken an interest in this thread as I'm partial to some Wizzy Noise at times, plus I totally love the LSD (Lucy) album that was mentioned above, and also because I was at an awesome party last month which (having chatted to the DJ) was mostly Nano stuff.

However to me it's all psychedelic trance! Please could someone perhaps try and define what is Goa, what is Psy, and what is Full On? What are the differences, boundaries between them?

Plus, is this actually important, or are some people here just being too particular ;-)

However to me it's all psychedelic trance! Please could someone perhaps try and define what is Goa, what is Psy, and what is Full On? What are the differences, boundaries between them?

Plus, is this actually important, or are some people here just being too particular ;-)

that's a difficult question. psy is all trance that is psychedelic (or a derivative thereof), but psytrance is also often used for psy that doesn't fit in any particular category or alternatively to differentiate between goa and other kinds of psy...

goa is easier. in the beginning everything was goa, up until 1997/1998 with koxbox - dragon tales / x-dream - radio (depending on who you ask ;). radio sure was the more influential one) starting psytrance. goa is more melody/arpeggio driven, often has acid lines and some of it envelops you in a "wall of sound". psytrance has more focus in the bassline and is rather fx-driven, lacking much melodic content in the majority of the track with a more minimalistic aesthetic. most often psytrance uses the "fullon bassline" (K-(b )-b-b-K-(b )-b-b-...) with a single sawtooth oscillator, while there is lots of variety in the sounds and patterns of bass in goa. also, more exotic or ethnic scales that are common in goa are rarely found in psytrance.

then there's also newschool goa, which has the same focus as older goa (sometimes more excessively than in the old days) but with modern production, and it also often borrows a few elements from psytrance (some of the fx and sometimes the bassline).

oldschool goa

more oldschool goa

psytrance

more psytrance

newschool goa

more newschool goa

even more newschool goa (because it's the best subgenre ;) )

i'd draw the boundaries between goa and psytrance somwhere here.

fullon is a distinct subset of psytrance, characterised by a certain track structure, an even greater dominance of the bassline and a distinct choice of sounds used. it is more melodic and easy-listening than psytrance. over time fullon became increasingly formulaic, simple and cheesy.

fullon

fullon

late fullon

late fullon (taking it to the extreme)

then there's also music that stands somewhere between psytrance and fullon (depending on who you ask)

i'd say differentiating between goa, fullon, progressive and darkpsy is pretty important if you're into psy. differentiating between psytrance and fullon a bit less so.

the people who are too particular (and even that is debatable) divide those genres up into many more subgenres (for instance darkpsy into: hitech, psycore, melodic darkpsy, south african darkpsy, minimal darkpsy, multiple types of forest, ...) ;)

Genres are a communication tool, not a music tool.

Good music is good music, but people who say "genres don't matter" miss the point a little. They're a language tool that helps us describe certain sounds in conversation. If I find a new artist and someone says to me "what do they sound like?" it's helpful to be able to give the genre so they have a point of reference.

Genres matter little to producers, they just make what is good music. They're of use to people who talk about music though.

The phrase "full on" is now one that covers a particularly broad range. Basically any full speed (~140bpm+) psy that isn't goa or isn't dark could now be called full on. It used to be a certain style with those huge dominant basslines (samples above are good) but typically now people call all sorts of stuff full on.

• Like 1