Psynews Open Collaboration or something like that

__READ EDIT__

Contests within a small forum like this is fun.

For example.. Person A chooses a sample.. It might be a chorus, an old rocksong sample, a melody, or whatever. But it cant just be a stab or a note... but something to build on...

Then person B through X does their own take of said sample :) Be it house, goatrance, dubstep, psy or whatever!

Its just an idea and its fairly basic, Im sure some of you would come up with a better idea. But this will promote creativity, productivity, and getting to know one another, (musically) and perhaps find suitable collaborations for projects in the future.

Oh well, just throwing it out there, as a measure to promote more activity on this forum :)

EDIT:

This turned out to become a Public Collaboration thread and not a contest

> But it cant just be a stab or a note...
then cut a signle note out of it if you don't like the chord progression... but ok gonna send you single 'bling' next time :huh:

(was just copy&paste from https://soundcloud.com/mfr/2-zero-point-module-unknown/s-T1zuH didn't wanted to spend time on that because of the reason you mentioned.. if nobody likes that synth-shot, i spend time for nothing :D )

Well, If I take that arp and cut out a single note from it, it would hardly be enough to base a contest over.. even if its just for fun..

The sample or whatever provided, must be the main focus otherwise it'll all be pretty moot..

BUUT I suppose this wasnt very popular so do what you will :)

Ok, than i missunderstood the whole idea^^. Thought it's about taking a sample and than get creative it, doesn't need to be the main focus, but can also extend it with something else. Less of a contest, more of building a track iteratively.. i give an arp, you do a bass, next does some drums, next cuts the arp appart and makes another flow, next adds some fancy FM shots..

It's acutally how we work on "Zero Point Module" tracks - we life ~500km away from each other, so creating a track like posted above is about bouncing samples back and forth and get creative with it... we call this technique "stückhackln" :D (you need to be german do understand what it means.. XD)

Ok, than i missunderstood the whole idea^^. Thought it's about taking a sample and than get creative it, doesn't need to be the main focus, but can also extend it with something else. Less of a contest, more of building a track iteratively.. i give an arp, you do a bass, next does some drums, next cuts the arp appart and makes another flow, next adds some fancy FM shots..

It's acutally how we work on "Zero Point Module" tracks - we life ~500km away from each other, so creating a track like posted above is about bouncing samples back and forth and get creative with it... we call this technique "stückhackln" :D (you need to be german do understand what it means.. XD)

that's also how i understood this "contest" (i so have no idea where the contest part comes in).

:D. but no, you don't need to be german. i don't even think that those from the extreme north would understand ;)

that's also how i understood this "contest" (i so have no idea where the contest part comes in).

:D. but no, you don't need to be german. i don't even think that those from the extreme north would understand ;)

hmm.

if say 10 people does their own take on the posted sample.. then the best application would win.. and a new sample will be posted and it starts over.

i really dont understand how it can be so hard to understand.

but nevermind. just close thread it was clearly a mistake.

why close it?

it's fun to take part in a creative community effort, no matter if it's a contest or if it ends up in a collab doing a track.

anyway here's what i've got inspired by the original sample:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109605202/Contest/ContestMelo.aif

i guess this turned out not too far off the original intention of the thread?

i didn't like the progression that much either, so i changed it around a bit. it's now D phrygian instead of whatever it was before (B spanish gyspy i suppose; which sounds a bit odd when there's no distinct clue on where the root note is). behold the quirky resonance of the ms20 filter! :)

Well since that thing is far from a contest and the idea i had with the thread, this thread is now just confusing.

thats why it should be closed. if you want a public collaboration thread then create that..

dont mean to be harsh i just find it strange that my idea was so hugely misunderstood.

I'm gonna abuse it until an admin reads your request, also if i'm not interested on a contest :D:P

Padmapani arp mod + sunray bass+drums:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33192470/with%20basss.wav

there are 8bars bass+drums and 8 bar bass only at the end, for the next one to copy&past into next buildup

some fancy fx someone pls xD

edit: bass is C (148bpm) as the inital arp was on C too.. Padmapani: don't ask me about the scale/chords, was played at studio on the other side of the alps.. no clue about that stuff.. i just love synth knobs :D

I don't see any need to close the thread. Even if it doesn't match the OP's intentions people can still run with it as the mood takes them.

OK. But could you then change the topic to something like Psynews Open Collaboration or something like that.

I'm gonna abuse it until an admin reads your request, also if i'm not interested on a contest :D:P

Padmapani arp mod + sunray bass+drums:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33192470/with%20basss.wav

there are 8bars bass+drums and 8 bar bass only at the end, for the next one to copy&past into next buildup

some fancy fx someone pls xD

edit: bass is C (148bpm) as the inital arp was on C too.. Padmapani: don't ask me about the scale/chords, was played at studio on the other side of the alps.. no clue about that stuff.. i just love synth knobs :D

alright. so C phrygian with 148bpm it is.

but that kind of kick and bass to me sound like they demand a crazier, more agressive kind of sound. so i made a few adjustments :)

modified melody 1

modified melody 1 with a different patch

acid rhytm (you can never have enough acid ;) )

melody 2

melody 2 with yet another different patch

the fancy fx turned out a bit weak, but here they are nonetheless:

gated fx

modular fx

and some hat loops to go with it:

simple 909 open hat

909 ride

and here's it all together

ok... this is how current current sampels sound, but more psy/fullon'ish

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33192470/psynews2.wav

Added a fm saw with some delay do bring some 'dark' in to bright melody synth, here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33192470/fm%20delays.wav

That synth could be better.. but lack of time, I'll post a finetuned version on next edit maybe ;)

.. and, as we get a lot of reading but no posts.. :D

to repeat again:

NO CONTEST, but do whatever you want...

Can't image that there are only 2 ppl able to use a DAW, so just pick one, some, or all of the posted samples, and do something with it.

No rules, no judgement .. if someone likes what you did, he might pickt it up and create something new out of it... if not, you did practice how to do 'stückhackl' :D