Do you enjoy loud music for long time?

radi6404

Do you enjoy loud music played for many hours? I do enjoy it and I sometimes play music pretty loud for many hours because I think that that is the real thing to hear all sounds of a track and get a great impression about an album. The dynamics are better ´when the music is playing on high volumes. When the naighbours are out I can listen to music very loud and even if they are here the house is insolated pretty well and I can still play music fairly loud. The mood rises when music plays on higher volume. Sometimes I turn the volume to maximum of what my small speakers are capable and it is really loud in my small room. I showed a video of the speakers in this forum. If anyone wants to watch it I will link it here. What is your opinion on loud music, if it is not too loud so it hurts the ears?

I think music is loud enough when you can feel some of the bass on your body, but it is too loud when you have to cry or when your ears get hurt by the high frequencies. I think the volume of some small club café´s is the right volume for music, you can talk to people and the music has a perfect volume to hear all of the details, yet it is not loud enough to hurt your ears even after a few hours.

I need at least one hour of very loud music each day. I've found out that this is because of many reasons... :)

- One: The reason you desribed. So I can hear all the details, or so the overall dynamics will be audible better.

- Two: Loud music makes me not hear the voice in my head anymore... :) I often need something to chanalize my thoughts and feelings. Sometimes I am mixing music for an entire afternoon, or longer, on a very loud volume, and it has often brought me to a total "zen" sense.

- Three: I have been suffering from tension headaches for 4 years now. And the only thing that has ever helped me within the first half hour (next to taking a painkiller) is to put on some very loud Trance music.

- Four: At a party I need to feel the bass vibrating in my chest. Gives me like this raw primitive sense of wanting to dance. :)

What systems do you own to hear music except headphones?

My system is this one

I suggest not to do it at all unless you wanna risk fucking up your hearing on the long term. I speak from experience. It's not worth it.

So many people listen very loud regurarely and have good hearing. If you don´t go too often to parties where the volume is so loud that even I go out after half an hour, it is ok I think.

@Radi60404: I'm using a Bose OE1 for outside, Sennheiser HD205 for dj'ing and just a nice stereo set for my PC. I'm saving up to buy me some nice monitors in the future.
I do suggest you put your speakers in a triangle shape in relation to you (look for best ways to put your monitors). I don't know the shape of your room, but it should give you a better spread of sound waves ;)

@Penzoline: I understand your concern. But when I say "really loud" music, I mean it is so loud that I can experience it on a great level, without hurting the ears or even feeling dangerous on the long term. I also adjust my frequencies through software to turn down the hi hats etc. I've been dj'ing and partying for 10 years and don't have any hearing troubles so far. It is possible. But I'll remain cautious ;)

It is not possible to set my speakers for a stereo triangle because they would be 20 cm away from my ears and that would be too close. The speakers are designed as computerspeakers I think, but I prefer the sound to fill all of the room. If I want to experience the stereoeffect, I sit in the middle of the system on a chair.

Radi: It is possible to angle your speakers in a more directional way than what you currently have. I suggest you do that aswell :)

As for damage.. Well, hearing damage is very real. I also have read that your (Radi) ears are very sensitive. It will only be a matter of time before you damage your ears, and then there will be no recovery.

So please be careful when listening at high volume. Just because it has been fine for a long time doesnt mean nothing can happen tomorrow.

That said, I also love listening to music at high volume. Just like the rest of you, the music comes alive in a special way. But I try to limit that high volume exposure to about 1-2 hours a week.

ravenation, you can´t be serious that the shown speakers are so loud that they can damage your ears. The volume on a party is 10 times higher than that.

Well, I dont know how many watts those speakers are capable of, and I dont know how many decibels they can put out.

My advice was that of a general advice.

And also, the type of speaker is often irrelevant to the damage it can create.

I see, but to damage your ears it takes a lot more than listening loud for two hours a day from small home spakers. You have to listen to very loud soundsystems in order to damage your ears seriously. When I was at a party, the volume was so loud that after one hour I really felt pain while listening to the music. Usually the ears block the sound when it get´s too loud and you percept a lower volume, but that system was so loud that the sound passed through that and was still just as loud. After one hour I could not stand it and went out, even tough the music was nice. A homesetup is no comparison to that.

But anywa after one or two hours of loud music it is enough and I stop the music playback because I feel exhausted. I can continue several hours after the loud playback.

Allright.. Im just saying, even though the risk might be alot lower, doesnt mean there is no risk.

Just be careful is all Im saying. Then again, what I consider loud and what you consider loud is very subjective and might not be the same thing.

But thinking that only concerts and such will damage your ears, and headphones and homespeakers will not, is not a correct assumption.

ravenation, you can´t be serious that the shown speakers are so loud that they can damage your ears. The volume on a party is 10 times higher than that.

Parties are different. First if is indoor is muuuuuch bigger place than one 20m2 (standard lets say) room.

Open airs are too much different from indoors. You don't have have walls, no echoes and distortions in most cases depends of location.

Then you can move back where sound is not too loud and you can use ear plugs.

I noticed you love to use earphones and it's mistake imo. I used back in days on old Nokia and mp3 players earphones for music... first of all it's not pleasent to have something in body holes lol. Second is constant penetration of walls of sounds. It's like music bombing you non stop and your ears cant breath. Some decent headphones, not earphones could change feeling i think. Your ears will be much more free and relaxed and speakers wont be inside your ear, but just a little bit outside.

Speaking of monitors... i think you placed them bad, like side speakers. You should put them in front on both side and center them toward you/chair. It will give much better feeling and you will hear more precisely. And if is too loud, you can go back for few meters.

For me problem is too much sub and high freqs. And i love them but it hurts me sometimes. I using headphones since always as i dont have monitors... for producing and its really hard sometimes and i got tired just after 30-60 minutes and my hearing become muddy. I do have some ancient speakers from Philips line from early 80s and they are just fine, not precise but ok if you want to rest ears from headphones. I listen music on them and producing on phones...

My suggestion is not to use earphones at any cost as i had maaany problems with them.

So use monitors and try move few meters back while listening and ofcourse not on maximum if you are sensitive. I never enjoyed to stay next to speakers on any party if is not Funktion One :D

Thats my opinion :)

Normal flat earphones are not a problem because they are similar to headphones. In Ears are a problem because they play the music much closer to your ears than regular earphones. If you had In-Ears, I can understand your problems. Earbuds however are not a big problem since your ears can breath. Unless the volume is too loud, they wont damage your hearing. I don´t play very loud on earphones.