Artists who play their music live

johnb820

So I'm looking for artists who instrumentally play or otherwise significantly alter their music when they perform it. When I mean play I imagine for instance actually playing some of the lead synths with a keyboard, etc. And in turn, I wonder if they prepare different mixes or make changes to the effects either in real time or thought out in advance. I guess I am broadly just interested in what artists do when they perform their stuff for an audience. What can they control? To what extent is a live performance different from what they produce in the studio? I am just curious.

I know at least sometimes Erez Eizen of Infected plays all the melodies live.

But then again he is a musical artist since he was a little child, so he is talented beyond goatrance.

I know Simon Posford tweaks alot and does alot of live-mixing but he doesnt play anything per se, live.

Uhm.. I cant really think of anyone besides Erez at this point. Most just do some tweaking (cutoff, resonance etc).

They rearrange their tracks beforehand to make it sound unique to the live event, and not just like a recording.

However some artists like Astral Projection does exactly that.

Load up their dat and hit play... thats about it

Yea, thanks for the responses! That's the sort of stuff I am interested in. When you open up the possibility to do something unique with your live performance I really think amazing things can happen, assuming you know what you are doing. And I deeply respect that!

Juno Reactor is usually a full band with live tribal drumming, guitar, and other instruments in addition to keyboards. Plus a lot of acrobatics and antics from Amampondo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3cxox41I4w

Shpongle occasionally does the live band, which is something like 10 musicians as well as other acrobatic-type performances and dancing.

Medicine Drum also used live drums, violin, and keyboards.

Son Kite uses (used? - where have they been, and no Minilogue doesn't count! :P ) a violin to play many of the sounds/effects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw1kR7lUsvk

Khetzal plays litterally live, he even brings his studio with him, and adds soem live electro violin on top.

Crossing Mind also tweaks significantly live.

With OOOD the four of us play live keyboard, guitar, percussion and samples/FX as part of the live set. Quite often I double lead lines (at least the easier ones!) on the keyboard, or play harmonies, etc. The guitar adds a different texture that isn't present on the studio versions. Back in the 1990s we used to take the entire studio on stage and play tracks off Cubase whilst tweaking 303 and all the other analog synths in real-time, but that stopped being quite so possible when we started using multitrack audio.

• 4 months later...

While not Goa, I know that LOUD like to do some stuff live since they use some gear live like the Bass Station and some pedals.

The Loud live set is pretty live. Not with instruments as such, but a lot of control over individual elements.

There is a decent video of it here:

For goa, the most live I have ever seen was Inner Space, he had TONS of hardware on stage and not even a lap top in anyway... :) impressive :)

For psychedelic music, I have to add Eat Static for sure, when he plays live, it is madness as well :D