Man with no Name appreciation thread

radi6404

So in this thread anyone is welcome who wants to say something positive about man with no Name or Martin Freeland in general. In my opinion he is one of the best artists in goa trance history. He was a true master of his style and achieved extreme heights of euphoria, love and emotion. His style is energetic, powerful and positive, with a lot of emotion in it. Some tracks have a darker nature and remind a bit of Electric Universe, others are brighter and can be compared to Astral Projection, however his melodies are even more twisted and therefore magical than those of Astral Projection. That is the reason why in my book he is the pioneer of complex melodies and compositions with positive melodies. I don´´t know any artist who created more complex and inteligent uplfiting melodies than Martin Freeland. His tracks can be the peak fo true goa trance sets or parties. Many of his remixes are even better than his original tracks, they are also an improvment of the original tracks by far. His most fammous track is Teleportation and the remix of it. Not many people however will know, that a very old remix of his has a similar sound and almost identical strings as Teleportation Remix. The unknown tracks is called Naked people full moon disco valley remix and is a remix of the track naked people by the Overlords. This tracks is a very heavy track and one of the best tracks he has ever produced. But most of his remixes are of very high quality. For example the remix of Rise. I can say that without Martin Freeland Goa Trance would not be the same; when it comes to more and more emotion, Martin Freeland delivered the ultimative dose of emotion. Big respect to this talented guy!!! I hope he will read this himself.

Sometimes I listen to MWNN and I hear euro trance with slightly more interesting production styles and sometimes I listen to MWNNN, especially certain tracks and I am inspired by the way he builds his songs and it is goa trance at its best. If I had to suggest Martin's biggest contribution to Goa Trance it's probably his production style that still sounds amazing today. The heavier kicks, the melodic riffs, the kinds of bass lines. AP can sound old at times, but MWNN sounds as good now as I'm sure it did back then. It's too bad I think he never really put together a solid cohesive album. All his albums kind of sound like collections of individual songs, varying in quality. And he never really went crazy psychedelic with his approach, but I always hear the passion and careful thought put into all of his songs.

some of his tracks have melodies similar to Euro Trance, but that is the case with many ig artists just like Astral projection. I don´t mind the eurotrance melodies because they fit the tracks and improve the atmosphere sometimes.

When I look at the picture the man looks exactly like I imagined him to look like. He looks healthy, motivated and full of emotions and positive energy, just like his impressive music. This is the reason why the biggest discovery of this year was the remix of Naked people by The Overlords. This remix is as emotional as Teleportation.

• Like 1

From finally seeing him live I can say he is great. Some producers you see or meet you can tell they actually have musical talent and passion, others not so much. I don't actually know his background but I just got the feeling he knows a thing or two about music and theory.

On stage he seemed like a kind of energetic orchestra conductor, weaving the melodies he had written across my ear lobes. Was so good to see a goa producer still into it so long after his time.

And Teleport still brings the house down hah.

Apparently he's back with a new track according to Perfecto Records.

Now obviously lots of years have passed by so I expect a change in style or etc, but I'm liking this track. Sort of a mix of old with newer stuff.

Man with no Name playing over my speakers very loud so people outside can hear this beautiful msuic aswell.

Aktually I think this is the best goa trance track eer made. For many years I considered several goa trance songs as the best goa trance songs, but now I think that is track is a bit better than all of them. The melody is just more energetic and emotional than any other goa trance melody ever made.

Apparently he's back with a new track according to Perfecto Records.

Now obviously lots of years have passed by so I expect a change in style or etc, but I'm liking this track. Sort of a mix of old with newer stuff.

Why does it have to be full-on bassline? I never fucking understood this.

Is it because the crowds react to it easier? It's easier to dance to in a venue? It's what people expect? It isn't artistic vision that's for sure.

90's artists getting back into Trance seem fascinated by the full-on bassline. MWNN is confirming that trend. Not to mention Toï Doï, Asia 2001, Etnica/Pleiadians, and so the more.

This needs an inquiry.

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

90's artists getting back into Trance seem fascinated by the full-on bassline. MWNN is confirming that trend. Not to mention Toï Doï, Asia 2001, Etnica/Pleiadians, and so the more.

This needs an inquiry.

It gets them gigs at the big Mainstream Festivals that was build and became known upon the full-on era.

Yea I mean sure production style, bassline etc, help them fit more closely into mainstream festivals. I do hold out hope that most of these artists do find the full-on bassline to be effective and rewarding for listeners. Full-on basslines, when done right, are really energetic and sound great on a big open sound system. They have enough top end, along with a strong click, to still reach distant ears without the kind of delay you hear from big lower end stuff. And so it can sound great from any distance.

It could simply be that some artists use the full on basslines, because they just love them.

I heard tunes in his set that sounded very "modern" 16th bass and all but they had the distinct MWNN style. It sounded like he has new material on the way, but I can't say for sure ;)

He also played classics that did not have full on basslines, people reacted all the same, they danced.

Then again this was Antaris on its 20th year. There was a Kox Box retro set, Green Nuns retro set, Mike Maguire played the closing set and it was amazing! They don't book people based on the way they write their basslines ;)

Saturday morning was a blast from the past, line up had Kox Box retro, GNOTR and then MWNN. I loved my life in that festival...it was fuck!ng epic!

Some of his music is great, but for me it's marred by the really commercial cheese he released on Perfecto Fluoro, such as "The First Day (Horizon)" & "Paint A Picture." For that reason he doesn't rank highly in my list of fave producers.

I saw him live at Universe's Big Love in the '90s, but sadly his set was spoiled by ridiculously low volume restrictions.

Some of his music is great, but for me it's marred by the really commercial cheese he released on Perfecto Fluoro, such as "The First Day (Horizon)" & "Paint A Picture." For that reason he doesn't rank highly in my list of fave producers.

I saw him live at Universe's Big Love in the '90s, but sadly his set was spoiled by ridiculously low volume restrictions.

That would have been a great festival for me, since I have sensitive ears. I would have enjoyed it a lot.

That would have been a great festival for me, since I have sensitive ears. I would have enjoyed it a lot.

There were some class Goa acts playing, inc. Hallucinogen, Medicine Drum, Doof, Tribal Drift, Slinky Wizard, Technossomy & Tsuyoshi.

The sound levels were o.k. to start with, but at midnight or 2am or something, they dropped the sound waaaaay down. Too much, as they were big stages and the energy was lost.

i've been fortunate enough to see MWNN a few times now, and every set has been very special. not only is it so rare to hear this style played on modern systems, but the performance from the man himself is pure manic psychedelia

at ozora a few years back he played a set after a multi-hour Posford/Raja Ram retrospective, i was expecting the crowd to dissipate somewhat but it grew and the energy became stronger. definitely one of my most memorable moments ever on a dancefloor

i've always hoped to hear him drop Sugar, but in 3 sets he hasn't played it once. not that there's been a dull moment anyway

some cool footage from Ozora I found on YT

He is one of the dudes I first got into when getting into psytrance. Earth Moving Sun was really great, I used to listen to it all the time. Interstate Highway was cool and had a darker, more futuristic vibe but overall I didn't like it as much. So is he officially back and making new tunes again? I saw his name on some recent festival(s) and thought it was weird but cool. Really curious to hear what he would make today and hope he is seriously back

So let´s summari8ze all Man with no Name tracks that are masterpeaces. In my opinion those tracks are:

Rise - (Goa Pyramid Man with no Name Remix)

The overlords - Naked People (Full moon in disco valley mix)

Revenge

Own the World

Unter the Influence

Vavoon

Deleriance

Jack in the Box

Lunar Cicle

Eat Static - Beny Incus - Man with no name remix

Deep trouble in outer space

Moment of Truth

Cairo

Posessed

Man With No Name - Floor Essence (Apogee Remix)

Low Chorus

Azymuth

Marmion - Schoneberg MWNN remix

Sugarrush

Genetig - Transmission (Cops don´t mock remix)

All this tracks in my opinion are masterpeaces and some of the best goa trance tracks, even tough some tracks contain some eurotrance elements. But Martin Freeland was not the only artist who included such elements in his tracks. Many big artists included eurotrance elements in their tracks and I think they sound very good. The question however is, are those elements like in Own the World, eurotrance elements or not? In my opnion just the scale is different to the normal goa trance scale but this doesn´t make the tracks sound like eurotrance in my opinion.