Doof - Let's Turn On - Remixed & Remastered - DATCD006

Sorry to be a pain but will this be available as digital only somewhere? Like Beatport? All my CDs currently sit rotting away in the basement as I never use them and only buy digital now. I'll get a hard copy of course if there's no other way...

@Balance I will release it digitally on the 24th of course, hoping you will buy it from the official DAT Records store, which is where they don't steal me half the profit ;)

@EmperorOfTheUniverseKingGoa Unfortunately shipping rates raised and a US consumer who actually paid 15 eur for his pack delivered underpaid me, I found out at the post office his pack was 17.5 eur (but he ordered 4 CD). And I am not charging anything on the top of it, just the paypal tax, that I also have to pay.

That said at the moment it costs the same to order from DAT shop or from Psyshop for example (at least if you are in Europe), so I really hope everyone I know will buy from the shop, as I remind you I had to press this album twice, and it features an awesome 16 page booklet, plus a poster, 2 shiny coloured CD and whatnot.

To everyone: I would love to make the tshirts, and realistically I will, but probably for the summer?

I will look into it but so far I was too busy with the repressing and all, so it is unlikely you can get one like in a week or so.

Maybe I will try to see if there is any of these "print as you go" places where you only submit an image and they make it, maybe not the best quality but good enough. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for replying quickly Draeke.'very happy if I can buy digital direct depending on the download server, the one used in the past other than bandcamp used to always say 3 days for me then stall for some reason. Probably the crummy internet we have here in Australia lol.

Ah hum, it will probably depend on your connection, but I suppose it will be crappy again since it streams from the USA. Other than that I will also make it available on Bandcamp, so maybe you'll be better off there : )

We shipped back the whole lot and repressed the discs only, they repacked the release keeping the case, artwork and poster, so only the CDs were destroyed, still it cost almost as much as the first pressing, because colored discs and because of the repacking process.

Meanwhile:

• Like 1

[...] hoping you will buy it from the official DAT Records store, which is where they don't steal me half the profit

do suntrip also steal half your profit (i guess they will stock up on this release?)? to be honest i'd rather donate the 6€ difference for an extra shipment directly to dat records rather than the italian post.

To everyone: I would love to make the tshirts, and realistically I will, but probably for the summer?

I will look into it but so far I was too busy with the repressing and all, so it is unlikely you can get one like in a week or so.

Maybe I will try to see if there is any of these "print as you go" places where you only submit an image and they make it, maybe not the best quality but good enough. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, shit can be expensive. Wasn't sure if you were actually going to go through with it.

Maybe you can do a kickstarter, a la Etnica vinyl pressing, and collect enough money up front to do a proper shirt printing =)

do suntrip also steal half your profit (i guess they will stock up on this release?)? to be honest i'd rather donate the 6€ difference for an extra shipment directly to dat records rather than the italian post.

We have another deal, don't worry :) Which is better as Arabesque for instance, but for Federico it is always the best to sell via its own shop... But of course, on the Suntrip shop, there is a lot of young goa-freaks from Belgium for instance, who don't really know about other labels, so seeing them in the Suntrip shop means more sales for Federico...

This is an interesting topic by the way, how to make the best of your sales as a label. it's hard to manage all yourself but distributors don't pay the total deal...

Guest antic

@Draeke, could you please shed some light on the details of the remaster done to the original tunes? I'm comparing Soundcloud samples with my TIP Records copy and I can't really hear it, other than it probably being a bit more balanced, but that might be just in my imagination. I was expecting a bit clearer hi-hats, more bass and reduced mids (e.g. the climax in Let's Turn On or Angelina is painful on headphones), because original tracks are often "screamy" without being "punchy". I guess Colin OOOD's magic would make wonders there (loved his work on Mind Rewind 1&2) but I don't think he had a hand there judging by Soundcloud samples?

BTW, just ordered the CDs :):wub:

Doof with unreleased classic Re-Mastered REMIXES... :wub:

Sounds out of this world. My hats off to you guys, Draeke & Mark.

This is wonderful news. I took one look at this forum thread and knew before seeing DAT that Dat Records was behind this. Your reputation's spreading. :)

This recent resurgence in Old-School (Reborn) Goatrance, from this and Suntrip releasing Asia 2001's Remastered Psykadelia to 2014's Moon Ritual compilation (!) is awesome!

Do you know if Nick ever make enough Goatrance originals for another Doof album similar to what Suntrip did with Dimension 5's TransAddendum and TransStellar albums in 2013 ? Just curious. I'm getting the impression that some of Doof's best work will be on this double album!

Arrived today!! :wub: What a brilliant release!!

The remixed CD is just out of this world. I have always had a soft-spot for Doof's tracks (Since i heard the tracks from RTTS 1 & Yellow comp)

DAT Records just keep delivering top-notch tracks/albums.... Well....this.is.it. guys, seriously!! Get it ASAP!!!

Hats off to Nick 'Doof' Barber, Fede & Mark!!!

(Will be on repeat for the next days, months etc)

Ohhh, yes I ALWAYS order directly from the label.

Thanks for the super cool comments so far and I am sure all of you will be pleased with the music of the 2CD!

About mastering:

We opted for the gentle but very present touch of Analog Dimension because we both felt, me and Mark, it was the best for this release. We liked the way he made the sound balanced and clearer but without killing any dynamics. That said we did not want any re-bass or heavier intervention on the tracks because we did not feel it was needed. The samples on soundcloud are just mp3s as the site compress everything to 128 kbps so you cannot really judge much from there.

I personally believe the old album sounds terrific now and much better than the TIP or Twisted pressing (twisted apparently did not remaster anything). Furthermore we started from the original un-mastered DAT versions for the original album too, and we got a very shiny polished sound that in some tracks revealed some details that cannot be heard on the TIP version, for example and an excellent final result, you'll hear and be the judge.

We had to wait a very long time for the mastering to be finished because we did a lot of versions of each track and not until everyone was satisfied, Nick included, we closed that chapter. I hope it will please you all!

About t-shirts:

it's a terrific idea, both to do one similar to the old-school version and a new-school one all pink and whatnot. Ideally I'd do both pink and black, and with a more modern touch than the TIP version, still blinkin' an eye to them shirts. As you very well know t-shirts ARE expensive when made well and if I were to do something like the official DAT shirt, with fluorescent colours and extra quality cotton I'd be looking at some 2500 euro investment, minimum, so I'll have to be careful because, even if I know I might sell 10-15 in the blink of an eye, when I do something I need to know that at least 50 people would bout it, for real, not promises even if it is a shirt that will cost over 20 euro. So there's that too to consider, but I love the artwork and the album so much that I will probably risk it. The indiegogo campaign could be an idea as well, I'll think about it, at least to have a boost initial finance to get things moving.

About more Doof tracks:

I will investigate once I meet Nick in Ibiza later this year, I know there is more but maybe not enough for a full CD or maybe Nick won't agree to release, there is also that. I will let you know, but meanwhile, please enjoy the NOW and this awesome release!

About Bandcamp:

I will put the release there on Friday too, for everyone to stream and also buy as digital download, you can always chip in a few extra euro if you want and then I'd be getting the full price, as you'd basically would pay the % they get. If you want to buy from me and get it from bandcamp then I will probably buy download codes from there and give you guys one, I might just do that maybe :).

About buying from Suntrip:

If my shipping is really too high or if you want to combine with some of their releases yes, you can order from them but it will arrive there a little later because I need all the support I can for this one, I have had to pay pressing two times, and I can't stress that enough. But all the support is welcome of course and any sale is important for me!

Aloha!

Guest antic

@Draeke, thanks for feedback on mastering (and shipping my order earlier today :))

One last question - will I get links to d/l the music once it goes for sale tomorrow?

Ok so sorry to Draeke but Psyshop offered a price for CD + download that was much ceahper than buying directly. Now I also get paid in about 4 days so I plan to make a donation to DAT for the value of the CD but not the postage, I can't understadn why postage is so expensive from wherever you are when it's so cheap for Psyshop? The cost of this CD postage wise was the same as the actual CD itself!

Anyway the donation I make I hope at least covers some cost or lets you buy yourself some beers.

Cheers.

Ps I love the remix album of course but have to say the original album remastered is still so much more magical. I'd have to say this is still my no. 1 album in this genre of all time. I rarely listen to albums but this never bores me, and actually it's really inspiring me musical wise. after listening to it last night when the kids were donw I didn't realise is was 5a.m. while trying to replicate similar sounds on my modular lol!