Is there oldschool newschool out there?

Taika-Kim

Do any of the newschool artists make trance that really sounds like the old stuff? I mean real analog synths and organic loose production and a more lysergic sound like the old TIP, Dragonfly, etc stuff?

I've been trying to listen to new goa tracks for, what, 15 years now, and still I don't find any artists that work the way the best of the old stuff do. Newschool seems so much concentrated just on a hard kick, endless arpeggios and in-your-face melodies, to me the whole sound is generally just a bit undeveloped.

And often the people with the right hardware like Filteria and Radical Distortion make tracks that are basically re-makes or really close copies of another artist. I mean fine, but I do appreciate something a bit more original.

So, any suggestions that would be on the level of, say TIP Yellow/ Orange (both albums do have their weak moments, but in general I like the way the music sounds on these a lot)?

I would have to put Astrancer up there. Trinodia also has some very nice old school melodic synths with old school bass lines. Skarma is pretty clearly influenced by old school production too. Funny you mention Filteria because I feel Jannis is light years different from the older sound. It has always seemed to me, and don't get me wrong I really appreciate Filteria, that he just combined full on rhythm/percussion with bright arpeggiated melodic synth runs and threw in some neat tricks along the way. Filteria is in a genre of his own imo.

Portamento, Dragon Twins, Arronax, Amanians, Ufomatka, Proxeeus, Psychowave, Imba, What Lies Beneath, etc.

Ofcourse, why don´t mention another ten artists and claim that they sound oldschool. The artists you mentioned are in between newschool and oldschool but can clearly be distinquished as newschool and especially the loud and hard production is a clear sign of newschoo. Tayka-Kim however looks for real oldschool sound and I don´t know many artists with such a sound. The only artist I heart with pretty oldschool sound was xervana in 2005, with tracks like Astral Projection. Taika-Kim is better off listening to my amateur tracks which are really oldschool in sound and are not that fast and hard sounding than most newschool tracks. Now don´t get me wrong, I appreciate newschool and there are good tracks with good melodies out there, but they all have a loud mix, a very hard kickdrum and clean and glitchy sounding synthlines and percussion. Until newschool is produced that way, it will always sound like newschool even if the artist remixes a track by classical Astral or Man with no Name.

@ollylovesgoa: Ethereal sounds as clean and steril as the most modern glassbuilding in Brussels, with multilayered melodies which are the key ingredient of newschool goa trance. It is a mistery to me how you distinguish Filteria as oldschoolish in sound.

Ofcourse, why don´t mention another ten artists and claim that they sound oldschool. The artists you mentioned are in between newschool and oldschool but can clearly be distinquished as newschool and especially the loud and hard production is a clear sign of newschoo. Tayka-Kim however looks for real oldschool sound and I don´t know many artists with such a sound. The only artist I heart with pretty oldschool sound was xervana in 2005, with tracks like Astral Projection. Taika-Kim is better off listening to my amateur tracks which are really oldschool in sound and are not that fast and hard sounding than most newschool tracks. Now don´t get me wrong, I appreciate newschool and there are good tracks with good melodies out there, but they all have a loud mix, a very hard kickdrum and clean and glitchy sounding synthlines and percussion. Until newschool is produced that way, it will always sound like newschool even if the artist remixes a track by classical Astral or Man with no Name.

Cut the crap Radi :rolleyes:

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

Why does it have to be new artists? Some of us oldies still make Goa. And the whole analog vs. digital views is old and outdated with plugins and digital equipment matching analog these days.

Cut the crap Radi :rolleyes:

Is that your responce to such a long post? This just shows that you don´t know how to respond to a critical post like mine wich absolutely describes the truth about newschool goa trance. It is good music and I like some of it, but most of it has little to do with real oldschool.

And the whole analog vs. digital views is old and outdated with plugins and digital equipment matching analog these days.

Indeed, it is not important what gear you use, but how you use it. Besides that digital equipment is indeed matching the soundquality of analong equipment, but artists have to create their own soundpresets and use good effects that make the sound warmer and more analog. Because most of the main presets of digital synths ineed sound digital and cold.

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

but artists have to create their own soundpresets and use good effects that make the sound warmer and more analog. Because most of the main presets of digital synths ineed sound digital and cold.

That's what I call being creative. Problem is some artists are not really experienced in sound-design as many of us oldies are. We grew up in hardware studio's experimenting with hard-ware synths and by playing around with the equipment we learned to program synth's and create our own sounds.

When i create new sounds (or edit presets to my liking) I draw experience from my hard-ware days (Stared when I was 15 years old = 32 years of experience).

I have many times said that I feel new artists are too eager to release music instead of experimenting and getting to know what their equipment (digital or analog) is capable of.

Guest antic

... Imba ...

Yes, how could I forget about Imba / Space Elves - listening to their "Terrestrial Planet Finder" is like hearing a mix of '96 tunes from Doof, Prana and The Infinity Project :wub:

Is that your responce to such a long post? This just shows that you don´t know how to respond to a critical post like mine wich absolutely describes the truth about newschool goa trance. It is good music and I like some of it, but most of it has little to do with real oldschool.

Your post isn't critical at all because you're not representative to judge, speak or wage any truth about the newschool Goa.

How much good tracks do you think you miss in your favourite genre of psychedelic trance. Now we know a lot of tracks, but also don´t know a lot of tracks. I month I discover new tracks, some are very old, and I like them a lot. Last year I discovered many gems like Aquarian Spirit by Boris Blenn. I am sure discogs doesn´t list everything there is and even if it lists most releases, when do we check them all ou. There are so many releases, so many labels that I really think, we don´t know anything there is.

Personally I would say I know 60 percent of oldschool goa trance

5 percent of psychedelic ambient

5 percent of newschool goa trance

How many percent of your favourite genres have you listened too?

So, next time when you gonna quote me, go and listen to some other music besides Astral Projection and Electric Universe. Think about it. Think more about it, and than come, quote me and I will be more than happy to enlight you.

Byebye.

Tayka-Kim however looks for real oldschool sound and I don´t know many artists with such a sound.

Taika-Kim is better off listening to my amateur tracks which are really oldschool in sound and are not that fast and hard sounding than most newschool tracks.

Michael-Scott-What-reaction-gifrific.gif

Hey, wow, a lot of good discussion here. I'm without a soundsystem right now, so can't check the links now. Jikooha I remeber noting as possibly interesting when I gave his stuff a quick check some year ago, Just forgot him in the meanwhile. Good reminder!

About digital/analog: I have also over 15 years of experience in writing trance, and found that when I started using analog stuff, especially cumbersome modular synths, a tape echo, etc, the sounds I started getting began sounding incredibly much better. Before that I used to be really annoyed by the whole issue, and also believed that software could replace those things. I don't spend a lot of time checking modern analog-style VSTs, but for example even the u-he stuff reaches nowhere near my modular setup in terms of getting good filter sounds, surprises, etc... Like feedback loops, cross-modulations etc, and filters of course. Especially in feedback loops etc the quantum level stuff that happens is incredibly complex, unstable and happening billions of times per second in resolutions that are almost infinite in time and scale... Very hard to nail that accurately, I trust my ears here.

I like the digital stuff for more creative forms of synthesis, like Alchemy, Omnisphere or Absynth for example... But for pure raw sound that sound like the future used to sound in the past, I often prefer analog.

Just listen to almost anything that came out of the old Butterfly studios for example... Of course they had the best engineers and producers working over there, but still... Or just listen to how lame almost all releases from the beginning of 2000s sound... Just beautiful sense of life and space in those tracks. But of course this is not the rule. Some Japanese stuff that was made with grooveboxes only, like some of the Tokyo Tekno Tribe stuff, sounded dated already in the 90s I think.

Well enough about that. And also, maybe it's the interface that makes you work in a different way, and the limitations, which boost creativity often. I work in a very different way if I make a track inside the Computer, or if start to do a lot of sampling etc.

Sorry, not very much substance here, I'll get back to the music when I have a chance to listen to it :)

I didn't like Ethereal that much the first time over when the album was released, I recall the sound was drowned in too much flat spatial processing like some ChiA.D. tracks too for example. But then again I'm more into the atmospheric styles these days... So I'll need to check that again too.

And another personal opinion: most oldschool sounds also quite dated and boring these days, that's why I'm looking for that special good sound ;)

I don't anyway liste to a lot of electronic music, so I just don't have the energy to check every new release in hopes of finding something interesting. I like good DJ mixes, best of lists etc for this reason.