Goa experts, your skills needed!

breedmedia

Hi all

A two-pronged request for all you Goa aficionados:

1) I'm trying to identify a track for which I know only the vocal sample used in the breakdown, it says:

"All creations desire love... It's the engine that drives humanity... It'll change your life."

And it sounds a bit like Jeff Goldblum saying it, but I'm not sure it is.

It'd be from 1994 or 1995 and it was on a mixtape I had but lost a long time ago.

Which brings me too:

2) The mixtape itself:

This one will be nigh-on impossible to identify I'm sure but we'll give it a go just in case!

It was bought in early 1995 I think from a London street stall and was called 'Organic Illusions'. It was by a 'DJ Paul' and was the greatest Goa/psych mix I've ever heard. The tracks I know names for which were also included in the mix are:

Track 1: Astral Projection - Enlightened Evolution

Track 2: Z to A - Next Stop Oblivion (a mix without the vocal, which IMO is far superior to the vocal version, and never been able to track it down since)

And other tracks I cannot quite remember the order of but which include:

Doof - Star Above Parvati

Laughing Buddha - Infinite Depths

Laughing Buddha - Andromeda

Green Nuns - Magellanic Cloud

Hallucinogen - Shamanix (remix)

ECO - Toxic Recall

Something on Matsuri with a repeated sample that sounds like "Sound I am blind", or something like that!

...And a few others I've never been able to identify.

If you have or know of this mixtape and can link me to another copy somehow, truly you will be a hero.

If anyone can help on any of the above I will be eternally grateful!

Many thanks,

Tom

AS fas as I remenber Chris Organic used to sell mixtapes in Fleamarkets in London at the time. Dj Paul could be maybe Paul Taylor.. or Paul Oakenfold.. hehe

I bought some tapes back then, but I believe one was mix by Mark Allen and the others were called GoaTrance 1, 2 etc.... Can´t check it now as they are quite far from where I´m sitting now.

Good luck on your search!!

Hi guys, thanks for your replies!

The Chaos Unlimited tapes look great so will explore them anyway, and I'll look into Paul Taylor too just in case he is the elusive DJ Paul. It's definitely not Oakenfold (!), though his Dragonfly 'A Voyage Into Trance' mix is still a firm fave of mine today.

In terms of 'Organic Illusions' I'm not expert enough to know if it's 'true Goa'; the tracks I can remember listed above are similar I guess but I'd say aren't strictly exactly the same genre as one another, so there's probably a mix of sub-genres oscillating around the central theme. What would be classed as true Goa, just so I know for future ref?

If anyone by the way can link me to the Z to A 'Next Stop Oblivion' track without the vocal that'd be amazing; the vocal version seems to be everyone's favourite judging by YouTube but to me, having heard the instrumental (which also has a slightly different arrangement), the vocal destroys a masterpiece.

Cheers!

Hi Tom..! :)

Most of the tracks you mention had been released in the same (awesome..) compilation "Blue" on TIP Records, in 1996..

(http://www.discogs.com/Various-Blue-Compilation/master/35384)

The two Laughing Buddha tracks had also been released by the same label on vinyl, a year earlier..

(http://www.discogs.com/Laughing-Buddha-Infinite-Depths-Andromeda/master/407602)

So, maybe the tape you mention is somehow connected to TIP Records and the "DJ Paul" could be either Paul Taylor

(you can read about him at his souncloud page https://soundcloud.com/paultaylor or contact him and ask..)

or Ian St. Paul, one of the three founding members of TIP Records (along with Raja Ram and Graham Wood), back at the early 90ies..

You can have a look here: http://www.tiprecords.com/label/

Good Luck...!!! ;)

I forgot.. The Z to A track you are looking for is: Z To A - Next Stop Oblivion (Synchro Mix) released in full length only here:

http://www.discogs.com/Z-To-A-Next-Stop-Oblivion/release/38994

As far as I know, this is the only version of the track without the vocals by Zoe Jackson..

BoM

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi BoM!

So sorry for my delayed reply, I didn't realise one had been made.

Many thanks for your detailed reply to my original query--I'll follow up those leads and hopefully find something! Every time I listen to the TIP Blue album I get a craving for the other tracks on that 'DJ Paul' mix, it really was (is) incredible.

Cheers,

Tom