Artist: Carbon

Title: Dream EP

Label: UAF

Date: February, 2014

01 - Shangri-La (142 BPM)
02 - Bergamot (143 BPM)
03 - Jupiter (Green Elf Mix) (149 BPM)
04 - Dream (100 BPM)
Longtime Psynews memberand festival leggings wearer Imba is back with a release on his Underground Alien Factory label. Carbon is from Slovakia (a psytrance/goa artist from the Balkans? Stop me if you've heard that one.) and he delivers something pretty nice. Shangri La has lots of evolution with some bubbling and intense fury. The layers are nice and this sounds very raw. Bergamot is old school gritty with popping 303 sounds. Another track that makes a sharp directional turn. Well put together. Jupiter was very spacey, but not my favorite. He closes things out with the downtempo Dream. Homie put a bluesy saxaphone in there! Not afraid to travel the untrod path I see.
I think I like the variation and changes in direction the most. The tracks are fast and bring the power with very nice layering.
Mdk
  • Like 1

I was gonna put up a full lenght review but... I haven't...

Absolutely a marvelous EP. The variance in each track is almost mind boggling considering all the stuff we hear through the years from other artist. That and the organic elements(Bergamot!) makes the atmospheres super unique and psychedelic. I throughly enjoyed this EP and it reminds me of Sky Technology's first EP in some way.

For some critcism, I can see people saying this is cheesy, but to me it never crosses that line, but it's not something I would play to a goa noobie either. It's more complex with all of it's variety than it might seem and it's a little unrefined (like the key changes feel more forced than they should) which makes the production feel lacking, the overall flow is not quite there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all I wanted to say that I enjoy this EP by Carbon, who is Ratislav Ac from Piestany, Slovakia. The style here is driving and intense with solid melodies and lots of acid lines, similar to Cosmic Dimension or Arronax. The second track, Bergamot, launches into some nice eastern melodies while Jupiter feels a bit more uplifting. The EP ends on a melancholic downtempo track that starts off straight forward and ends on several key changes with some odd saxophone sample, probably the only part I can't quite get in to. Haha.

When I saw that this EP was being offered to purchase from an on-demand distribution website, Kunaki, I was partly curious about how it all works. So I bought the album, it was shipped a couple days later and it came in the mail not long after that. The actual quality of the product was definitely on the cheap end. The CD smelled strongly of ink as if they oversaturated the disc when printing the art work on it, but otherwise everything else was fine. It seems the artists on Kunaki get to receive a large majority of the sales in the form of a monthly payment, so Mr. Ratislav Ac enjoy a drink on me and thanks for the great music. :) I hope to hear more from you.

• Like 1