What is so great about Psytrance festivals?

Robbelaar

I am reading a press release about Pinkpop, one of the biggest music festivals of Holland. They won't allow big bottles of sunblock because the organisation is afraid people are going to throw them and hurt other people... They won't allow your own bottles of water, for the same reason :S

When I read stuff like this I am extremely happy I found psytrance festivals, where everything is so chilled and I don't have to worry about (drunk) people throwing bottles in my face... Damn, I don't mind some beer or water throw around, when people are having (drunk) fun, but isn't it just common sense not to throw heavy stuff in a crowd?

So what I think is great about psytrance festivals? The people! Off course shit happens here and there, but in general psytrance people are chilled out and don't harm people just to impress somebody or something...

What are you experiences with festivals? Psytrance or 'normal'. What do you like about them and what not?

The Music! :P

Heh, but yes really its the people that make it what it is.

A great party or festival happens when the right people come together and The Vibe is just perfect!

You know those moments when you look around, the sun is coming up or going down, and everyone around you is smiling, laughing, stomping and just embracing the moment and the music.

I've had some of my most "enlightening" experiences on dancefloors at festivals and its something I hope everyone gets to experience.

The sense of community at psy gatherings can't really be beat in my mind. Even on the other side of the world you so quickly make friends.

Its an open space where anything goes and everyone is free to be themselves, wherever they are from or whatever they are into. Thats what makes it so special to me.

Just an anecdote but after I took my girlfriend to her first party, when just the week before she said my music sounded like "video game music" and knew nothing about it, she absolutely loved it and now a few years later still can't get enough and often wants to go to more of them than me! (I'm a bit more picky musically in my age hah :P)

So yup, they are amazing and one of my favourite things in the world! Bring on Boooom! :D

• Like 1

I am reading a press release about Pinkpop, one of the biggest music festivals of Holland. They won't allow big bottles of sunblock because the organisation is afraid people are going to throw them and hurt other people... They won't allow your own bottles of water, for the same reason :S

I'll bet they have them conveniently for sale though...

I guess whether large or small, psy parties are made up of friends of friends and word of mouth mainly. Still not being in the mainstream weeds out the douchebags. even if they are the ones who TRY to bump and grind on the girls. You dont see that at parties. Woo! only once I saw an attempt but the girl was dancing circles around him haha!

it really is the people. I can not be enjoying what is currently playing and hang around the fire put or anywhere else and just talk with people. Everyone seems interested in doing just that. "hey new friend over there!" haha

I met some good friends all last year just from dancing nearby and we both acknowledge each other and are in the moment passionate and keep going. thats the best for me 8)

• Like 1

A great party or festival happens when the right people come together and The Vibe is just perfect!

You know those moments when you look around, the sun is coming up or going down, and everyone around you is smiling, laughing, stomping and just embracing the moment and the music.

I've had some of my most "enlightening" experiences on dancefloors at festivals and its something I hope everyone gets to experience.

That!

I don't like the yob element at many other festivals. The lairy drunks - shouting and intimidating people. It makes me uncomfortable and I can't relax. I don't have anything against people having a drink (I do myself,) but I don't see why you need to behave like a football hooligan.

• Like 2

Maybe I was not on enough (any) drugs, but I did not enjoy my first and only festival experience. Everyone there seemed lost with no real purpose other than to get really high. Some were there to enjoy the music but for the most part it seemed silly. Then again, I am not a very social kind of guy. Might have something to do with the drugs part... :ph34r:

Maybe I was not on enough (any) drugs, but I did not enjoy my first and only festival experience. Everyone there seemed lost with no real purpose other than to get really high. Some were there to enjoy the music but for the most part it seemed silly. Then again, I am not a very social kind of guy. Might have something to do with the drugs part... :ph34r:

i guess you've been at the wrong festivals. i enjoy them a lot sober if the music is good.

could also be that you've been to the "wrong" areas on the dancefloor. i've noticed that on every huge festival, there are sort of hotspots, where every single person would be out of their minds ;)

Love them sober as well as not. Love them in all states actually.

Unfortunate u didnt enjoy your first one john, were u with good friends at least? I find, for your first few it is great to have friends to party with. Doubly so if you plan on experimenting hah.. :)

Love them sober as well as not. Love them in all states actually.

Unfortunate u didnt enjoy your first one john, were u with good friends at least? I find, for your first few it is great to have friends to party with. Doubly so if you plan on experimenting hah.. :)

Well I went with a guy I knew in college who mostly ended up doing his own thing with people he already knew. He wasn't really interested in the music at all in the first place.

The whole 4 day weekend was almost 95% darkpsy. There just weren't many people there and I did not know what to expect really. I was unprepared, got terrible sleep, did not eat well and ended up getting sick.

Personaly, I go for the music... I enjoy it sober and "not sober".

I wouldn't mind if we just had a desk with a big soundsystem and some shade to dance under..... No decorations, no lights, no lasers, no stalls, no hippie stuff...

If the music is not good, I retreat to the chill out area or I leave the festival grounds and do other stuff and then return to listen to what I want.

I've been to festivals that my friends hardly spend any time at the dancefloor, they just just sat outside their tents and smoked or tripped.... Sorry that's not my thing... I put my alarm clocks and I go listen to what I want, as soon as something I don't enjoy comes on... I'm out.

I've been to festivals that my friends hardly spend any time at the dancefloor, they just just sat outside their tents and smoked or tripped....

I've never understood people who do that. They could have done that at home and saved themselves the price of a ticket.

The music is the no.1 draw for me. People make the festival, but I'd only go if I liked the acts playing.

aw big bummer! I am always sober (except for the slight buzz at Genesis last year cuz a friend kept sharing sips of her drink. kind gesture I accepted) as I dont drink or intake anything else. This made my first 2 years of parties cool to finally be going to them but not the most fun. I wasnt too social with obvious groups of friends there and felt solo a lot. I then found other things to keep me busy another 2 years away from parties. last year I finally got great friends from festivals and I see them at each one now. Still Im there for the music first and can be solo a lot just dancing. but to have friends at parties is nice.

I must confess... these days I like one day psy-party the most. If it lasts a weekend or more, I'll sleep bad, get too hammered, the weather's probably as bad as my hangover, music's all over (too much is too much?).

And the people... yes, mostly these gathering's have very little anything spiritual to them I'm sorry to say this :rolleyes: In Finland, people are wasted and orbiting who knows in which galaxies. I don't see nobody gaining spiritual wisdom although exceptions are possible. The circumstances are too chaotic and people so out of their minds, that for me personally these days tripping in parties is a horrible experience.

Just call it "Let's get wasted and PARTY!"-gathering for some sincerity. As long as all the attendants of the party don't join in full sober state, daringly showing their true states and personality, we're "not there yet".